PDA

View Full Version : Off airport on Exmoor

QDMQDMQDM
21st Mar 2007, 20:56
On the top of Two Barrows this afternoon, looking towards Dartmoor in the distance.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/IMG_2937_1_1.JPG

Had intended to land near the house (about 5 miles from here, just to the right of the nose) to pick up the missus, but all the fields were all full of new lambs, so put down on top of Two Barrows and called her and she drove up. Slightly rough take-off with tail wind downhill, but OK, then straight down to Roserrow for lunch (Polzeath) and back to Eggesford. Views from Two Barrows of Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor, Lundy Island. Fantastic vis today.

The joys of Super Cubbing!

And here's Lizzie in her Mutt Muffs:

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/IMG_2970_1_1.JPG

She has learned not to shake them off until she gets out of the aircraft.

Sleeve Wing
21st Mar 2007, 21:18
Nice one, Doc. and lovely pic.
Yeah, the joys of Super Cubbing.
I go into a smallish strip fairly regularly, 400mts., with 150ft. trees at one end ! Always a downwind take off from there. (except once ?!! 30-35kt.wrong way. The T/O wasn't a problem - just the taxiing !) :ok:

QDMQDMQDM
21st Mar 2007, 21:38
Amazing how fast you come down with the flaps and especially if you slip as well. The shortest field I use is one way and a little over 200m, with a hedge at each end and an upslope. It gets my pulse racing and can only be used in certain conditions, obviously, but for the guys at www.supercub.org this is just girlie stuff.

FlyingForFun
21st Mar 2007, 22:37
Hmm..... jealous!!!

FFF
------------------

Humaround
22nd Mar 2007, 22:33
Hey - great pics.

Where did Lizzie get her Mutt Muffs?

Looking for something like that for Lulu - she's a cocker spaniel but I can't seem to find a reliable way to use her own (large) ears for the purpose...

old,not bold
22nd Mar 2007, 23:18
Duct tape .....

tangovictor
22nd Mar 2007, 23:58
excellent, what flying is all about :D

niknak
23rd Mar 2007, 00:34
As ever, the pilot deserves all the credit for demonstrating the joys of G/A, as for that silly tosser with a beard and baseball hat.........:E

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Mar 2007, 01:10
Nice, very nice.

RudeNot2
23rd Mar 2007, 09:59
Humaround

This may be the website that you are looking for......

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

RudeNot2

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Mar 2007, 11:42
Yes, that's the website I got the Mutt Muffs from. They are very pricey for what they are, but it is worth it for all the looks you get when your dog hops out of the aircraft at your destination wearing a bloody headset ferchrissake! I am not so convinced they are better than stuffing cotton wool in their ears, but you have to have a pretty pliant dog to do that and it is easier to shake cotton wool out.

Lizzie does like to sit on my lap when I fly and is getting quite good. I have to do the rudder pedals obviously and she has a job reaching the flap lever, but otherwise suprisingly little problem. R/T has been a bit of an issue, I guess, but we're working on it.

englishal
23rd Mar 2007, 12:56
Nice pics.....How did you get to land there (i.e. do you own the land / know the land owner etc.....)?

Thanks...

airborne_artist
23rd Mar 2007, 13:23
Let's hope the good-looking one in the ear defenders never makes a ruff landing :ok:

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Mar 2007, 14:32
Yes, the chap who owns the land delivers our firewood, which come from the hedges bordering this field. He was pretty amazed at the thought I could land a plane on it.

I landed in a field nearby last year and there was a bloke working a digger in the lane next to it. I taxied up, stopped and got out for a chat. He looked at me with wide open eyes and a gaping mouth like I was from Mars and said: "That's the most random thing I've ever seen!" You can see his point.

I often identify a field, find out who the landwoner is and then ask. In general, I find about 75% of landowners are perfectly happy for me to land.

My next project is this field on the top of Coddon Hill, near Barnstaple. I walk up there a lot and it feels like a giant aircraft carrier in the sky. Haven't managed to get through to the landowner yet though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/images/2006/03/27/kenny_coddon_hill_450x174.jpg

Tell you what, though, watching the Hercules land on Saunton Beach the week before last has got me itching for that too!

englishal
23rd Mar 2007, 14:58
Thanks....maybe something I'll try. My wifes friends' dad owns a farm, I should have a word with him......

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Mar 2007, 16:34
Thanks....maybe something I'll try. My wifes friends' dad owns a farm, I should have a word with him......

It's super cool popping into someone's house for a cup of tea. Best to walk fields first though, although I hadn't walked the field in the pic at the top of this thread. I thought I had, but after I landed I realised it was the one next door, in which I have previously landed too.

Over on supercub.org one of the users has a saying: "If it looks rough, it is. If it looks smooth, it might be." But they are landing on mighty more challegning stuff than English pasture.

Right aircraft, right conditions, right pilot on the day, though, as always.