PDA

View Full Version : Start Clearance?

Fatigue
21st Mar 2007, 17:28
ATC guys, I have a question for you.....What is the actual purpose of calling ATC for a start clearance? Politeness? Common courtesy? Where can I find the rules and regs for it?
I hear fixed wing and helos ask for it when thay are both flying under VFR and IFR and at airports within controlled airspace and at aerodromes with just an ATZ???
Anyone enlighten me?
Many thanks,
Fatigue.

chiglet
21st Mar 2007, 18:20
Gives you a place in the taxi/take off queue......helps the Ground Controller to "sequence" Traffic......lets other people know about you [SA]
watp,iktch

FantomZorbin
21st Mar 2007, 22:27
Some GA airfields have parachuting - t'would not be a good thing to have a jumper get into your whirly things ... makes a mess on the windshield:eek:

Il Duce
21st Mar 2007, 23:27
....and, God forbid, if you burst into flames during the start procedure, ATC will know where to send the fire crews and how many people need to be accounted for.

cdb
21st Mar 2007, 23:52
If you're in a non-radar environment, it gives approach a few minutes to sort things out for you.

Also, if you're going trans-atlantic and departing from somewhere close to your entry point, we used to have to get your clearance from Shannon before allowing start. Don't know if that still applies.

M609
22nd Mar 2007, 00:12
And the crowd pleaser......non sched. flight calls for taxi as first call. Nothing could cause a delay at my sleepy airfield right? CAVOK and no tfc.

All true.......but the radar systems failure in Germany kind of gave him a bit of a CTOT for his flight to Turkey.......5 hrs delayed.
Me thinks it cost a bit of fuel to crank the old rusty IL76, only to shut it down again. :D