PDA

View Full Version : Meteorology book recommendation

Hufty
20th Mar 2007, 20:41
Can anybody recommend a good met book - just for a brush up and to tuck away on my bookshelf for future reference you know.

I don't need anything theoretical but something practical and useful for day to day flying.

Any recommendations?

parabellum
20th Mar 2007, 22:45
There are a couple of old books hopefully still out there that are very good, one is called, "The Handbook of Aviation Meteorology" - don't have any ISB detail but I am fairly sure it was originally an HMSO publication and the other one is even older and called A.P. 1699, Meteorology for Aviators, by R.C. Sutcliffe, Ph.D.
If you go to http://www.abebooks.co.uk/?AID=9867503&PID=1939581

you may just get lucky. Certainly some newer ones out there by now as well.

None
21st Mar 2007, 16:17
I like anything that Robert N. Buck writes. His Weather Flying book has been in my library for almost 30 years. The current edition is up-to-date.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Robert%20N.%20Buck&page=1

howflytrg
21st Mar 2007, 22:32
Meteorology and Flight by Tom Bradbury.

ISBN 0-7136-4226-2

Bloomin excellent!!!! :ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
22nd Mar 2007, 13:08
Meteorology for Glider Pilots by C E Wallington. As detailed and scientific as you could want yet still simple enough to understand the basics. I think it was published in 1961 by John Murray but may still be around the second-hand book shops and public libraries (Stockport Central had a copy in 1966).

paco
22nd Mar 2007, 13:53
I second that - I sourced my copy on ebay. Can also recommend anything by Tim Vasquez - google should find him.

Phil

ashish3287
26th Mar 2007, 23:15
I Think air Defence-weather Command Manual(transport Canada) Is The Best Book I Have Seen So Far For Weather

cavortingcheetah
27th Mar 2007, 02:09
:hmm:

parabellum is quite correct. The Handbook of Aviation Meteorology was published by HMSO. It was in fact quite a hardback and very informative.
The last section of the book dealt with world climatology, aimed, on suspects, at the BOAC chaps. This comes in very useful when planning further sojourns to tropical beaches.:D
Regret that due to location on remote palm swept beach, no copy readily available for ISBN reference numbers. Can provide same on return to frozen wastelands of the north if required.
Happy heliotroping!

laic
30th Mar 2007, 00:20
I have to go with Ashish3287. I shopped around for the ultimate met book for years, and that's the one, no contest. Sorry!

Threethirteen
30th Mar 2007, 00:22
Mike Wickson was the Standard when I trained, but fashions do change. Good for climatology though.

Pugilistic Animus
18th Apr 2007, 18:23
None, Buck is a great suggestion I love that book and still read it!!!!!
also, he provided great references in his book

one FAA publication to recommend is FAA AC-006A a very easy and clear and concise explaination [written in almost comic book form] of weather for pilot's in fact it's never been revised, hence the A in 006:)

If you're a US pilot FAA AC 0045E aviation weather services as well as the AIM, or if not the AIP is the choice