PDA

View Full Version : ATCO's, what's the 1st word that comes into your head when you hear the word........

Gash ILS Checker
20th Mar 2007, 18:15
Calibrator!

Dizzee Rascal
20th Mar 2007, 18:20
More like two words, "f****** hell" then scramble to the roster to find out who I can swap with if unfortunate enough to be on duty.;)

Gash ILS Checker
20th Mar 2007, 18:27
Love it! Why that reaction? We only have to make 20 approaches to the out of wind runway! Oh, silly me, I almost forgot the protection too! :)

AlanM
20th Mar 2007, 19:22
DR - how can you POSSIBLY complain.

It is far more interesting on radar you lightweight (All you have to do is get yr 2x C150s out of the way!)

On a serious note.... whilst a heavy workload for airports like LCY/BIG etc, CALIB always acts professionally for us and is happy VFR self positioning mainly. (and taking a delay unless you are Cat E!)

The most important thing is to get hold of the "Guide" you publish, and prebrief as much as we can.

Dizzee Rascal
20th Mar 2007, 19:31
Oh Alan, you're such a tease.

And it's actually 2 C152's AND 2 Tomahawks which you wouldn't see on yer screen coz Tomahawks are invisible!!

Short Approach?
20th Mar 2007, 19:37
"VFR" says it all. Not the biggest of issues. Have to say the swedes we use, are extremely pleasant to work with.

throw a dyce
20th Mar 2007, 19:45
Wednesday.:ok: They mostly come on that day,which is the busiest with rig change-overs.They mostly operate 9 to 5 which is the busiest time.Come on at Sat or Sun and give us a break.:D

SkyTrax2
20th Mar 2007, 19:50
See its off into Heathrow tonight around 2300 hrs, because it is so busy down there does that mean they do it through the night??

Gonzo
20th Mar 2007, 20:02
Yes, CALIB only works at night at LHR, and I guess a few of the regionals like Gatwick and Manchester :E.

Inverted81
20th Mar 2007, 20:25
Had calibrator up at sumburgh a few times the last few months, trying to sort out the new and relocated ILS and LLZ. My first thought... grab the folder with the details of all the serials... THEN try and figure out what to do. or should i say what YOU'RE gonna do ;)

Never had an issue with you guys always proffesional and aware of the wider picture.

Quick q tho... unless you notify us, should we consider you to be a cat E flight? ILS checks etc, i wouldn't instantly assume you are weather or time critical... or am i wrong? :rolleyes:

vintage ATCO
20th Mar 2007, 20:39
A challenge . . . . . good fun though. A chance to practice some real air traffic control. :)

timelapse
20th Mar 2007, 20:47
Aha - a perfect opportunity to ask: what, exactly, is a "serial"? Been wondering that for a while.

StoneyBridge Radar
20th Mar 2007, 20:55
I thought the calibrator was the nice woman who comes every month to make sure the coffee machine is dispensing correctly...

Ok, I'll get my coat.....

nodelay
20th Mar 2007, 22:15
GONZO,
'Yes, CALIB only works at night at LHR, and I guess a few of the regionals like Gatwick and Manchester.'
Didn't realise you boys worked nights!!:D

Gonzo
20th Mar 2007, 22:19
Well, those pesky towers keep us from sleeping. But we can rest up for a bit. We're actually busy during the day to make up for it though! :E

airac
20th Mar 2007, 22:43
V A

A challenge . . . . . good fun though. A chance to practice some real air traffic control.

Absobloodylutely Chance to do abit of real wizzing:cool:

Jerricho
21st Mar 2007, 02:44
4 words

"I want a go!".........

(They use a CL60 here)

Tarq57
21st Mar 2007, 04:16
1st word: "Bags"
2nd word:"tower".

ATCO1962
21st Mar 2007, 04:20
In answer to the question....."FIRE":} :}

Gash ILS Checker
21st Mar 2007, 10:20
Only CAT E if we notify you. Only used in EXTEREME circumstances.

Yes, we do work nights, but there are 2 issues with that, No1, the price we charge goes up by quite a large factor (don't know how much) and No2, TERRAIN issues. We can only do nights if we can be certain that we'll be absolutely safe AT ALL TIMES during the procedures which really can't be altered for night tasks.

Weekends....Yes we do that, but I believe the price goes up!

Serial.......Archaic term, just read 'run' if you want to!

Quite nice replies from everyone though. We know we're not the easiest to work with and we know that after briefing you the plan nearly always changes but that's always down to the results that we obtain that sometimes require further runs to clarify the recordings.

coolbeans
21st Mar 2007, 10:52
Aha - a perfect opportunity to ask: what, exactly, is a "serial"? Been wondering that for a while.
Something you put milk on.
Calibrators are great at Filton, they steal all your biscuits and then hit every bird in the sky on the way out ;)

topdrop
21st Mar 2007, 13:17
Aircal in Oz.
Generally the most satisfying days at work - due the close cooperation required between Approach and pilot to make everything work. I would say that they are the most professional pilots I've come across. :D:D:D:ok::ok::ok:

mr.777
21st Mar 2007, 14:20
Only time I enjoy hearing that word is when it is quickly followed by "CANCELLED" ;)