PDA

View Full Version : ML RDR and Avalon Airshow

BD1959
20th Mar 2007, 03:14
Wonder if anyone from Melbourne Radar (or similar) can offer some advice.
Published advisory procedure for traffic entering VFR lanes around Melbourne is for aircraft to broadcast location and intentions on 135.7 as they enter the lane.
Strikes me that with all the additional workload for ML RDR routing traffic through ML CTA (was reading the AIP SUP 01/07 last night) that the 135.7 frequency will be more crowded than usual.
Given the likelihood of large amounts of traffic using the bayside VFR lane, wouldn't this be an ideal time to actually be using the advisory? However, appreciate the work you guys at ML RDR do and wouldn't want to upset anyone by making unwanted calls on a crowded frequency. Advice would be appreciated.
Also: The SUP seems a bit ambiguous. States categorically that YMAV arriving VFR traffic is required to squawk 1000 within 50NM, VFR traffic departing YMAV is required to squawk 1000 at holding point. For YAVE, only explicit in departing VFR traffic required to squawk 1000 (at the holding point). I presume YAVE arrivals also squawk 1000 at 50NM?
Regards,
BD

SM4 Pirate
20th Mar 2007, 05:00
Whilst I don't actually know the answer for this butFor YAVE, only explicit in departing VFR traffic required to squawk 1000 (at the holding point). I presume YAVE arrivals also squawk 1000 at 50NM? This may be the way of telling the difference; ie for YMAV squawk 1000; easy to pick up; vs YAVE still on 1200; and leaving, well you're headed away; when on radar.

Re calling for an advisory: The problem with calling for an advisory is the answer you'll be given; i.e. is it practical in anyway. "There are multiple bogeys every faarken where, look out; behind, in front, crossing, same direction, opposite direction, descending, climbing etc." Was that any help? So why ask?

I heard once, walking by radar:
open mic "multiple traffic observed, 517 paints, no wait it's closer to 313, good luck"
close mic FAAAARKEN IDIOT, calling for traffic there!

BD1959
26th Mar 2007, 02:58
A big "thank-you" to all the folks involved in helping the AVV traffic over the weekend. Seems you did a very good job with a little hinderence from us GA types.

A few of the calls to Director seemed to be inaccurate in their position reports, talking over the top of other calls and just not following std GAAP phraseology. Given the number of aircraft inbound as we arrived, a job well done. TWR did a fantastic job of running both runways while politely dealing with any miscreants, including reminding some to vacate the runway at their earliest (sorry, I missed that first taxiway!!)

Also: MEL RDR monitoring traffic and assisting those near the show - and not forgetting the Ground Marshalls (they don't have a forum do they??), one poor lass almost threw herself in front of one johnnie who couldn't read her stop signal!!

All-in-all made for a stress-free means of getting to and from the airshow which we will repeat in two years (unless RPT traffic volumes preclude another bash at AVV).

BD