PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have experience with the aviation diploma at BCIT

energie
19th Mar 2007, 19:51
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/1055dipts

Does anyone have experience with this program? I am looking into either this one or coastal pacific.

but it really boils down to the opportunity upon graduation. where do people go upon graduation from these programs? I have spoken to a few people and some actually say that the top guys from each graduating classes are hired by regional airliners onto jets right away. I find that hard to believe

thanks in advance!
E.

altiplano
19th Mar 2007, 21:20
I have spoken to a few people and some actually say that the top guys from each graduating classes are hired by regional airliners onto jets right away. I find that hard to believe

I do too. I would not listen to whoever told you this ever again for advice as it is a lie.

The BCIT program is run through Pacific Flying Club. I would go there and talk to the instructors and staff and see what you think of them. Don't mention the BCIT program just walk in off the street and do the same to the other schools out in ZBB. See what impressions you take regarding the staff, the aircraft and the facilities and then ask yourself if you are willing to commit to doing ALL of your training there.

In the end BCIT will cost you a lot more than doing your license on your own at a school/schools but you will get a diploma. The value of that diploma is debatable but it can't hurt for the most part. College courses are also very rigid and structured. You can not change your schedule, change flight schools, change instructors. You get what they give you and go where they tell you. Some people need that, I would rather make my own choices. You can also do it faster on your own, and not have to where a tie doing it...

No matter where you do your training it will be a battle for your first job. A lot of people never get one. The best thing you can do now is get a job somewhere like CMA or Westcoast Air working ramp as you do your training and when you're ready for the job maybe you have put in enough "dues" to go right seat on a 1900 or Twotter... Or go north and if you're lucky you might get PIC on a single or right seat on a twin somewhere... or you may have to hit the ramp/dock for a season.

What ever you do good luck.

energie
20th Mar 2007, 18:37
thanks for the comment altiplano

I could really live without paying BCIT the premium for the flight training :) but if they have a better bridge to a aviation career, it might be worth it. Although it doesn't look that way at this juncture...

arcticbeaches
21st Mar 2007, 22:03
The BCIT program is just a glorified CPL and MIFR. The courses are apparently very simple and the programs graduates do no better than graduates from the other schools at CZBB eg Pro IFR, Montair and Cdn Flight Centre. (this is what i have observed and learned from speaking with graduates but i really don't mean to slag the program).

The advantage to the Coastal Pacific Program is a more thorough curriculum and the opportunity for a degree if you stay at the partner school UCFV for an extra year. Their graduates have had a major presence in the roster at Pacific Coastal Airlines at YVR (although they won't hire with less than 1000 PIC so instructing first is a logical step)

If I were in your position I would get a CPL and MIFR from a non-college program and get in the job market ASAP while the industry is hot. I have had 4 friends go from instructing to turbine jobs in the past 2 weeks alone.

altiplano
22nd Mar 2007, 00:12
You will be no better off with a diploma. A degree will help you later on... maybe.

As arcticbeach said you will be better to get in the job market ASAP. The industry is hot RIGHT NOW. Do you want to risk waiting for 2 years and seeing what it is like then? Go start your PPL now and if you work really hard you could be done PPL/CPL/MIFR by the end of the year or next spring and leave all those BCIT guys in the dust still working on their PPL's...

I'd outline it for your instructor too. Don't be timid. Make them work for you and help you achieve your career goals.