PDA

View Full Version : ATC and flight crew errors

Callo
19th Mar 2007, 17:34
Could someone explain to me why there is such a huge difference in dealing with errors between the pilot community and ATC.
I have heard over the radio many incidents of controllers having a serious go at pilots for missing taxiways and radio calls etc. On the other hand I can't think of a single situation where I heard a pilot comment on an error made by ATC except to say "no problem" or "thought that sounded odd".
Why is it that alot of people in ATC are so eager and quick to jump down a pilots throat when he makes a simple and small mistake and yet the pilot community wouldn't dream of doing this to ATC. It serves no prupose sounding condescending and trying to berate someone. Can we not simply make the party aware of the error and leave it that. As professionals we take great pride in our work and shouldn't have to resort to this. Most of my colleagues personally hate making these trivial errors and the last thing they need is some jumped up controller having a go.
I realise mistakes can lead to disaster and having to repeat yourself can be frustrating but this doesn't explain some of the dressing downs I've heard.
Lets treat each other with the respect we deserve even if management won't.

anotherthing
19th Mar 2007, 17:47
Callo,

sounds to me as if you have been on the receiving end of a bollocking recently!!

However, it is wholly unprofessional to have a go on the R/T, although it does happen.

The only reason I can think of for ATCOs doing it is because if a pilot makes an error, such as going down the wrong taxiway, it can have a big knock on effect to lots of other aircraft - a carefully laid out plan could be totally screwed up and cause a lot of hard work to recover the situation....

As for the missing the radio calls - I personally do not get worked up if I have to call an aircraft twice... however I have had instances when I have tried to call an aircraft and it has taken 4 or 5 calls to get through - I would then probably say something like "This is the 5th time I have called you, listen out". I also get extremely pee'd off with A/C that need a couple of calls for every instruction due to not paying attention - again, I would ask them to listen out more carefully.

However, that's about the strongest bollocking I would issue, anything more is IMHO, unprofessional... if I felt the situation warranted a major bollocking, I would wait until relieved, then fill in a report, naming the aircraft, and my grievance.

wordstwice
19th Mar 2007, 17:47
You make a good point but I wonder if you would do the same if working on the ATC end.

Its way to easy to crtiticise ATC in this regard.

Inverted81
19th Mar 2007, 17:53
Unless the error was safety CRITICAL, (but even then) it is not proffessional to have a go over the RT. I myself feel harsh sometimes requesting a pilot to read back a correct service or pressure but then it is a real safety issue. I have overheard some atco's (not at my current unit) give a real beasting over the RT. In my opinion this would only make the situation worse, and increase any tension both on the flight deck and on terra firma...

Happy days :ugh:

chevvron
20th Mar 2007, 09:19
Simple; ATCOs don't make errors (q.Hugh Lawson, Glasgow ATC c1972 article in the 'Daily Record')

Callo
20th Mar 2007, 12:13
First of all thanks for the reply Anotherthing but no I have not had a talking down to recently. I have merely observed numerous aircraft being spoken to rather bluntly. I feel for the vast majority of these errors there was no need for it.

Heathrow is my base so it's where I've noticed most of it but I do believe it's one of the best ATC airports. With all the work going on we have on occasion struggled to find the correct route. You very often hear ATC saying to carriers not based in Heathrow "I told you left on _,left on _. Okay I need you now to go via _" where there were clearly no safety implications or knock on effects. The tone very often insinuates this has totally affected Heathrow traffic flow when that is not the case. You do not need to point out and highlight errors in such a brash manner. Why not say, "you seem to have gone wrong, no problem take _ instead".

I would never speak in such a tone to ATC even when they have cleared me into a cul de sac with another aircraft about to taxi out. My point is we're all professionals who hate mistakes. Commenting on and exacerbating a mistake helps no one.

Please note I merely use Heathrow as an example of a situation throughout Europe. I decided not to comment on some of our European colleagues:oh:

GT3
20th Mar 2007, 12:38
I think the problem of LHR is the pressure that the controllers are under due to not only workload but also the WIP which is un-ending and also the amount of effort that has gone into the move to the NVCR oh and the small problem (??) of Mr. Walsh's airline not being able to operate in any decent manner once they arrive at their gates. All adds up I am sure you can imagine!

Tempers are often frayed and whilst I do give the odd telling off I notice some of my collegues are more often heard to do the same.

When you have to deal with a mis-route on GMC it does take a large portion of the mental capacity you have to a) resolve any conflictions that may now be caused b) work out a new route and then examine its effects c) whilst doing this try and ensure that all the others are still doing what we want! If prior to this you have had 4 BA aircraft unable to park and the ensuing delays one thing can easily break the camel's back and hell is unleashed on the poor person who makes a simple mistake.

Gonzo
20th Mar 2007, 12:39
Callo.

In general I agree with you, and rarely point out flight crew mistakes.

However, it does get rather stupefying when, for example, we're landing on 27R and of all the BAW and BMA a/c coming off at A9E told to turn left on Bravo, and read it back, half of them automatically turn left on Alpha. :ugh:

Yellow Sun
20th Mar 2007, 16:35
However, it does get rather stupefying when, for example, we're landing on 27R and of all the BAW and BMA a/c coming off at A9E told to turn left on Bravo, and read it back, half of them automatically turn left on Alpha.

Well maybe if they were called the "Outer" and the "Inner";) ..........

Oh, never mind, the nurse will be round with my medication soon!:8

YS

Gonzo
20th Mar 2007, 16:37
Wouldn't change anything, I used to use the same route back when we had the inner and outer, and flight crew were still getting it wrong with the same frequency! :}

Lock n' Load
20th Mar 2007, 22:49
Pilots make errors.

ATCOs make plans which may, subject to the exegencies of the situation, require adjustment (or possibly redirection to the correct callsign...).

Lock n' Load
20th Mar 2007, 22:51
...by which I mean exigencies. Not an error correction - just an adjustment to my spelling plan.

floydie
20th Mar 2007, 23:01
@Callo,
ATCOs simply do not have a clue about what goes on in the cockpit and they think and expect that the flightcrew is just sitting on the radio eager to reply to any instruction given ASAP.

Also ATCOs are in a situation where a pilot's error can easily screw up a plan totally and they think that by bollocking pilots these errors can be prevented.

Thirdly ATCOs are more frustrated than pilots because they feel that the industry treats them as a second hand part of it. Actually they are jealous of pilots because they get all the good stuff whilst ATCOs always have to clear up the mess made by pilots.

Fourthly ATCOs think that in their job it is important to be the best in the world instead of being safe.

NudgingSteel
20th Mar 2007, 23:54
Callo,
When you see this occurring, report it via your company or direct with a phone call to ATC ops. As you say, it's out of order to issue a b*llocking over the R/T which will almost certainly distract crews from their many other tasks. Ultimately as part of the same industry, we should all be on the same side. And I'll start b*llocking crews for genuine mistakes, just as soon as I stop making them myself and need crews to help me out on occasion.....!

floydie,
If you're being ironic in some way, then you're much cleverer than me because I can't work out your post. If, however, you're being serious, then I'm gobsmacked at the hypocrisy of your statement "ATCOs simply don't have a clue about what goes on in the cockpit...", given what follows it.:ugh:

GT3
21st Mar 2007, 00:14
floydie, you could argue pilots have no idea what goes on in control towers or area centres.......:rolleyes:

Jerricho
21st Mar 2007, 02:46
Actually they are jealous of pilots because they get all the good stuff

Now that's funny!

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 07:12
@GT3,

maybe that's why they let ATCOS make their own errors without rubbing it in???

Gonzo
21st Mar 2007, 07:47
Floydie,

I've been trying to work out whether you're an ATCO or crew, you've posted in the past asking for help in applying in airlines, but you seem to hang out most here in the ATC forum.

Perhaps you'd like to clarify?:)

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 08:17
@ Gonzo,
Sure, I am both. I have been an ATCO for 21 years and a pilot for 15. I have very often been ashamed, not just in the UK mind you, about the behaviour of ATCOs on the r/t exactly as Callo describes it.
I know ATCOs don't think much of it and their intention usually is not to be insulting but they often are very patronising.
I realise I am generalising here and I apologise to those that do recognise themselves in my description. I call on those who do but are not able to admit it for whatever reason, you are using a lot of r/t time ineffectively, something you always say you don't want to. You do harm to the relation between flightcrew and ATC.

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 09:49
I also would like to challenge everybody to actually answer Callo's question being: 'Could someone explain to me why there is such a huge difference in dealing with errors between the pilot community and ATC?'

GT3 comes closest to explain it but there is no justification in his reply as far as I'm concerned. It only demonstrates the belief that the flightcrew does not suffer from similar pressure.

fly bhoy
21st Mar 2007, 10:27
Maybe pilots are afraid of upsetting the ATCO?

This could be because they possibly think that, as they technically have to do what we tell them, p!ssing us off could result in them getting less help (i.e direct routings, intersection departures etc.), and before I get abuse, please note I say "they possibly think" and not "this actually happens"!!

Also, as has been mentioned before, I think there's a difference in response because when we make a mistake, it generally only affects one a/c, but when a pilot makes a mistake, it can have a knock on effect on several other a/c as well, leading to a massive increase in workload.

That being said, I do try not to give bollockings on the RT, and find a well placed comment can do just as well. But when you've called a taxiing a/c 5 times to tell him to give way to another one and you get no response as they're getting closer and closer, it tends to get a bit irritating and you may get a "please listen out"!!

As for us not knowing what goes on on a flight deck...its actually part of our training (or at least it used to be!!) to do at least 2 fam flights, sponsored by the worlds favourite, so i'd say that myself and every one my colleagues have been up the pointy end and seen it from the pilots perspective, and so we know there are pressures up there as well. Has every pilot in the industry gone to visit a tower or centre? I doubt it!!

FB

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 10:44
Fair enough but would you agree that a comment like: 'If you're not interested in what I have to say you'd better stay away', (ground controller to a/c who missed an exit, with laughter in the background) is unheard of? And I believe these are the comments Callo is referring to, correct me if I'm wrong. And yes, it happens. Quite often.

fly bhoy
21st Mar 2007, 10:56
I have never personally heard anyone say anything like that and would be quite appalled if I, did to be honest, as that is exceptionally unprofessional and unnecessary!!:=

As has been said, if comments like that are made, then report it as that's not on!:mad: :*

FB:ok:

terrain safe
21st Mar 2007, 11:25
Have to say most of my comments are made without pressing the PTT switch luckily!!!

However, I have got cross when a pilot on GMC doesn't listen, and you call them many times with no response. When you eventually get them they say "Oh sorry, had the radio turned down too low". :mad::mad: I have said "It is a requirement to maintain a listening watch" or so but a bollocking NEVER. If there is a problem I get them either to call the tower or get an airfield OPS vehicle to have a word with the pilot. For outbounds of course there is the "watch this muppet" call to radar!

Basically I have only seen 2 or 3 pilots in my tower in the last 4 years, so perhaps it is a real problem with lack of task appreciation.

Anyway they are all PILLOTS!!:ok:

Callo
21st Mar 2007, 13:15
Flyodie I think you are quite right when you say nobody has of yet given an explanation as to why this happens.

I'm not only referring to b*llockings that happen but also small smarmy comments which I've heard. ATC stress levels have been mentioned but as I stated I am only referring to scenarios where the event hasn't inconvenienced anyone otherwise some reorganisation would be heard on freq.

I am well aware of stress levels especially working for a company that cannot plan for on time arrivals and I find myself continuosly apologising for shortcomings outside of my control. Imagine my stress levels as I was cleared into a cul de sac only to face an outbound aircraft. I bit my tongue as it has been pointed out "we all make mistakes".

Had I made the wrong turn myself however and ended up facing the ac head on it seems alot of you would justify b*llocking the crew. It seems we deal with mistakes and stress levels differently which is why I have posted the original thread. Maybe flight crew are to blame for being too polite?

As for annoying ATC and therefore not getting preferential treatment I think thisis a non starter. I think Heathrow operates on get them out any way possible. Letting you favourite airline out would surely only increase workload further. As crew we're not naive enough to believe you have favourites. Some of our European colleagues on the otherhand:oh:

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 13:47
@Callo,

I too find it difficult to explain it although there is an underlying truth in my first reply. One of the things I can think of is 'because they get away with it', but that would not explain where the desire to do it comes from and I think that's what you're really looking for in order to understand.

There is the idea which has been mentioned before that controllers see the world as them telling pilots what to do, which gives them a special kind of power in their perception. A false perception as far as I'm concerned but it is extremely difficult to change someone else's view of the world.

Another possible explanation may be that if you, as a pilot, would do it you most probably would be told off immediately by your captain and if you are the captain chances are your first officer would in the least raise their brows. This kind of, what I call social control, is not very much implemented in ATC despite the fact that they have by now all attended to a TRM workshop. TRM is the ATC equivalent of CRM. TRM of course is as valuable as how the controller chooses to apply it. They are not assessed on their TRM related behaviour and there are few ANSPs in Europe that actively have implemented a programme that would stimulate adherence to TRM.

A lot of may bees and possibles, I know. It might be worth a study because I sincerely believe it potentially is a threat to safety.

oceans 11
21st Mar 2007, 16:07
"I'm not only referring to b*llockings that happen but also small smarmy comments which I've heard. ATC stress levels have been mentioned but as I stated I am only referring to scenarios where the event hasn't inconvenienced anyone otherwise some reorganisation would be heard on freq."
Callo
From a radar point of view you might not know of the reorganisation a mistake might of caused. Phone calls to the next sector saying so and so is x thousand feet high because they descended too late happens from time to time. The next sector therefore might be the one doing the reorganising.
This is just one example and I agree with many of the other posts that we need more pilots to visit centres and towers, which without doubt would reduce the amount of bollockings and increase apprecition significantly from both sides.

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 16:20
@oceans11

true as your scenario may be, what is the added value of making a snappy remark when something like that happens. Do you really think that because of that pilots will behave better in the future? There is no excuse for the way corrections are sometimes made. The best way is at the right moment in a business way. No matter how busy you are. I would say: 'The busier one is, the less time one should waste on that kind of useless contribution to r/t pollution'. And I don't even mention the upset one creates.

I do agree that visits can contribute to mutual understanding but I fail to understand how one can justify bollocking a pilot because he has not been to see us:ugh:

oceans 11
21st Mar 2007, 16:33
Can you please tell me where I justified giving a bollocking to a pilot. All I said was you might not know if a mistake did inconvenience anyone, as it may effect a different sector, therefore a different frequency.

Also your last point doen't make much sense, I don't have the time to ask everyone on frequency if they have been to see us, then proceed to be rude to everyone who hasn't.

I do not agree with bollockings being handed out over the r/t.

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 16:51
@oceans11

I stand corrected, you did not say that, I read it between the lines for which i apologise.

Also by saying: 'we need more pilots to visit centres and towers, which without doubt would reduce the amount of bollockings', I thought you meant that it is understandable that pilots get bollocked since not many come and visit control rooms. I translated that into agreeing with which you again did not say.

oceans 11
21st Mar 2007, 16:59
If ever we needed proof that we can all just get along.:D

Many thanks Floydie

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 17:06
If we forget the reasons why for a minute and look at what can be done about it, I sincerely believe that if pilots would make a phonecall afterwards and ask to talk to the controller they got bollocked by and explain the fact that they do NOT appreciate it, many controllers would start to realise that they might better refrain from that kind of 'communication'.

I still believe that this should not be necessary but there you go. It is a matter of feedback isn't it? Of course that will not be possible or very difficult in many cases but one could try to make a start?

radarman
21st Mar 2007, 17:34
Interesting parallels between this thread and many of the comments expressed in 'Swanwick Skygods'. I would hazard a guess that most controllers who feel it punchy and macho to make sarcastic remarks over the R/T are of the same arrogant personality alluded to by DC10RealMan in his thread. Maybe someone should take a look at the culture instilled at the College, or have a rethink on the selection process.

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 17:46
@radarman,

I do agee to a certain extend hever, culture the result of attitudes and behaviours of people within a group. The veterans are at least equally responsible for it as the newbies if not more.

Gonzo
21st Mar 2007, 18:19
Lots of good discussion here. :D

Floydie:
GT3 comes closest to explain it but there is no justification in his reply as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think anyone could come up with a justification, only possible reasons.

'If you're not interested in what I have to say you'd better stay away'

I agree with Fly Bhoy, I can't imagine anyone at LHR saying that sort of thing, and we do have our fair share of ATCOs who do point out aircrew errors in the ways talked of here (and funnily enough, it tends to be the more senior ATCOs who do so). If you do hear an ATCO talking like that, please put a report in, or at the very least phone up the supervisor/watch manager etc.

they have by now all attended to a TRM workshop.

Not correct. Most have, not all.

Warning, generalisation coming up......

At the end of the day, it might be useful to remind ourselves that sometimes the interests of the ATCO (safety for all, and greatest overall expedition, at the expense of the expedition of individual flights) does not sit easily with the flight crew's interests (singularly ensuring their passengers (and they themselves!) are safe and again expedition for their own flight).

In that regard, we, as ATCOs do have to put up with a level (which varies greatly) of 'friction' (a la Clausewitz) from crews. This can range from "How long will it be for our stand?" to other other extreme "Ground, I know you said hold position, but if that one pushes long, and then that other one gives way to us, we can taxy here and there and be number one!!!" Certainly at LHR this is a regular occurrence. While I do not begrudge the flight crew asking me any questions, I can sometimes be too busy to give a satisfactory answer. We never get to hear the occasions where the crew decides not to ask us, because they judge it's too busy, so as ATCOs our perception can easily be that some/many/most crew are impatient so and sos only interested in their own flight and ignorant of the big picture. This can lead some/many etc ATCOs to think that any flight crew mistakes needs to be highlighted, and shoved down a peg or two.

Just my 0.02.

But at the end of the day, we do need to root it out. The last thing I'd want to happen if I was about to pilot a 747 on a 14 hour flight is ATC at my departure field having a go at me and highlighting my mistakes to everyone.

floydie
21st Mar 2007, 19:47
But at the end of the day, we do need to root it out.
I agree with most of what you said. Do you have any ideas about how to tackle this apart from reporting? I can see but one way which is to change attitudes and behaviours. Isn't TRM the obvious tool available to do just that? Why not personally approach someone if you hear any of this and give them good feedback before reporting? I know it does take some courage particularly if it's a 'youngster' having to tell a veteran but that's where the pilot's community is ahead of the ATC world. What is there to loose?

Winnie The Pooh
22nd Mar 2007, 11:54
Why is it that alot of people in ATC are so eager and quick to jump down a pilots throat when he makes a simple and small mistake and yet the pilot community wouldn't dream of doing this to ATC.

As a controller I have been on the receiving end of many a sarcastic comment or b*ll*cking from pilots - please don't set up ATCO's as the only guilty party here please. Equally, I have listened in cringing embarrassment as a colleague delivers a tongue lashing to a hapless pilot.

However, you make a very valid point, and as others have commented, bullying from anyone using RT displays a condescension and lack of respect on both sides which is totally unacceptable. Slightly off thread here, but the same sort of poor attitudes can sometimes be found in communications between adjacent units.

Maybe TRM and CRM needs to be looked at - to reinforce the fact that anyone receiving a public and humiliating telling off will probably be far more vulnerable to making a mistake.

BurglarsDog
23rd Mar 2007, 11:18
Dont do it!

Stay objective and keep your emotions off air.

A short story:

We had para ops at our Oz mil base. No template - just jumpout of the helo at 10000 and land on the sports ground - situated about 100mteres behind the active turboprop lines! Activity was NOTAMED and start clearance was required for all acft .

For most of the day this worked well. Everyone called up for start. If a drop was in process request denied - very very safe and seemingly foolproof.

Come the end of the mil day (4.30pm) a BE200 starts up and begins taxiing! No clearnace! Drop in progress. Chutes appear overhead and land very close to apron ! Near miss sort of!

As the ATC Sup of the day , (and it had been a long day with some basic f*ckups on both sides of the fence) I got into the pilot and basically belated him for starting and taxiing etc.(The base had a culture of aircrew doing there own thing and ATC picking up the pieces) I remember trying not too speak my thoughts, but I was very piss*d off and frustrated that our rules(NOTAM ) were once again being ignored by the operator due to their own expedition requirements (later learnt pilot was fairly senior officer flying very very senior visiting officer home!) I remember saying "but surely you read the NOTAM?" Er no they hadnt!! Anyway enough said acft went to TWR and promptly took off before a take of clearance was issued. ASOR no 2 - thanks very much! Two own goals by the pilots in one aftrenoon!!

Later that day( it was long shift) pilot returns and we agree to have a CRM chat about the events. Best way forward in hindsight. He agreed that he was at fault as he was rushing, behind schedule, senior pax etc and ... he could only contact ATC through the radio when it was turned ...on which was at the end of his start up checklist!! Sytematic error!! He didnt enjoy being berated ..albeit politely ..by a FLTLT ATC er! Him WGCDR .. airing his error in front of all listeners ... including AiR Commodore in jumpseat on headset! So he became very focused on other things, got a bit angry, and didnt listen out for appropriate clearance. Pressonitus????
From my perspective I just got a bit cross as a lot of small misdemeanors had been going on over the previous months and nothing had changed despite some very proactive feedback on ATC's part!. I got angry / personal on the RT!! Wrong - keep emotion out of it. If you go there I think youll look back and regret it!

Just a thought or two. One of the few benefits of getting older and wiser I hope!

DogGone:ok:

Ops and Mops
23rd Mar 2007, 16:20
Not wishing to "wee on the chips" of flight crews, I have been on the receiving end of many a whinge/berating/dressing down over the RT from pilots just because they feel "hard done by" in a sequence, have a CTOT or because they think they should be number 1 to depart.

I fully agree that there is NO place for this sort of unprofessional behaviour on the RT. All UK ATS units publish their telephone numbers in the UK AIP, and using the telephone or undertaking personal visits to the units concerned are the ONLY way to address issues that are not safety critical.

Any pilot that made any sort of unsavoury comment over the RT to me was met with "Roger, the XXXX Watch Manager is available via landline to discuss this further." Any further exchanges or comments were ignored.

There should be an element of self policing in this, and ATCOs and Pilots can encourage the destruction of such attitudes by using the topic for Continuation Training, CRM or TRUCE discussions.

Flying Torquewrench
1st Apr 2007, 00:32
Very interesting discussion.

I can't speak for LHR but unfortunately it also happens sometimes in LGW. Every once in a while you get a controller giving a pilot a dressing down over the R/T. A NWA aircraft making a wrong turn springs to mind.

Gonzo,

If we ask how long it takes before our stand becomes available doesn't always mean we are impatient. We got people in the back who we need to keep updated so if we can give them an approximate time that keeps them happy.

Unfortunately its not only controllers dressing down pilots but its also the other way around. However the pilot may do it in a different way. In our company we have a certain Captain who is of the impatient type and thinks he is gods gift to aviation. Every so often we have to hold somewhere because our stand is still occupied. This **** goes on the R/T and keeps asking for updates every five minutes while the controller clearly said it would take 25 minutes. And to make it worse, we could see the aircraft occupying our stand. So we could exctly see what was going on. But no this guy thinks that everybody is working for him only and that the whole airlfield needs to grind to a halt because we have to wait for our stand.

So yes, i sometimes can imagine why ATC gets fed up with us pilots. However a dressing down over the R/T is never a good idea by either controller or pilot.

Gonzo
1st Apr 2007, 06:43
FT,

If we ask how long it takes before our stand becomes available doesn't always mean we are impatient. We got people in the back who we need to keep updated so if we can give them an approximate time that keeps them happy.

Oh I know, that's why I said that sort of request was at one end of the possible range of things crews might ask/request/suggest. Unless it's quiet, or I have an 'on the ball' Delivery or Lighting Op, I'm far too busy to find out myself. In fact, I might be just as eager to find out as you, as it may affect where I hold you.

Bearcat
1st Apr 2007, 08:46
I got a real bollokin from dub atc recently due speed below 10. previous controller was adv and we told this contoller what speed we were doing...then he asks what speed we were doing and then explodes.....i just went roger ...no point in floggin a dead horse.....on the flip side in dub recently a foriegn guy literally lost the rag with ground atc telling her how to do her job as there was a lot of back log on the ramp together with the terminal road works there....lady atc-er never lost the rag and calmly came back with her reasons. Nice to hear other aircraft when she transfered them say to her...good job. She appreciated it.

So it takes all sorts....Manchester grouind and Approach in Kennedy have had their moments recently.

Roffa
1st Apr 2007, 18:54
Bollockings on the r/t are a pointless exercise and say more about the inadequacies of the atco concerned more than anything else, in my not so humble opinion :}

Scott Voigt
3rd Apr 2007, 06:05
Yup we all get testy with each other from time to time... From the ground, it probably has more to do with frustration with stupid pilot tricks that we see day in and day out with a GREAT lack of profesionalism from the cockpit of late. Not following what is on the chart and blindly following the FMS even though it was programed wrong and then getting testy when the controller in a loud voice tells you to turn immediately you are off course, and then issue traffic. The controller is probably using a crowbar to pry the seat out of his/her butt from watching someone turn into another aircraft. No call signs, not listening for weather being issued to EVERYONE who is departing and then five minutes after being given ride reports, the pilot states, it's getting bumpy any rides ahead <sigh>... It is stuff like this that just drives us NUTS!!! You can only take so much of it before you just shake your head and sound somewhat annoyed by it.

Then as stated, how about the folks who THINK that they have the flick of what is going on traffic wise and keep trying to help you run the sector. Then add in the added frustration of short staffing, screwed up watch schedules and such, and you have folks who are just not in their happy place anymore... You will hear the frustration... Sorry about that, but it is human for the most part...

Engine3firehandle
6th Apr 2007, 17:30
Nice example I heard when approaching Frankfurt 3 years ago from Frankfurt Radar:
An aircraft had a stuck mike and messed up everything in the approach.
After a while they found out by themselves and said how sorry they are.
Two minutes later, stuck mike again, same aircraft.
The female controller this time ( about 1 minute stuck mike only ), with a really strict voice, came with the immediate punishment and told the crew to make 360 degree circle at the present position and then continue.
This was definetely not for traffic flow but a little lesson for them.
we had a good laugh out of this one..