PDA

View Full Version : some wannabe questions

mrsurrey
19th Mar 2007, 17:04
Hi everyone,

I've just finished a 4 year engineering degree so naturally I'm now desperate to avoid engineering as a career :}

Anyhow ATC really appeals but I'm a bit nervous about signing up to a career with effectively one employer in the UK. Just how much flexibility is there to change employer within the UK (if there are more than 1?)? And if the answer to that is no much do you know how easily ATCO's can work in different countries for different companies?

I'm loving the idea of the job but should i be a bit wary of the being reliant on one employer?

Thanks for your time,

MrSurrey

wordstwice
19th Mar 2007, 17:52
You should consider yourself lucky to be working in ATC and have a degree to fall back on. Most ATCO's in the world can only work for one company and have absolutley no other credentials if they want/need to change careers.

That being said, there is more than one company to work in the UK unless you become a radar en route controller(NATS being pretty much the only company for this). Internationally there are many options for ATCO's and many of us travel to different countries all the time.

mrsurrey
19th Mar 2007, 18:09
Thanks wordstwice.

To change to another country is it a case of undergoing a brief(ish) conversion course? Do you have any idea of the time and costs involved (if any?)? - i'd be looking at continental europe, australasia, canada, usa.

So are the tower controllers employed by individual airports or are there companies that the airports contract out the operation to?

Thanks

wordstwice
19th Mar 2007, 18:33
Changing countries as an ATCO can involve a brief conversion course follwed by On the Job training or it can be a long courses just as if you were never an ATCO-It varies from country to country.

Most countries that hire foreign controllers have some sort of conversion program in place. Cost of training is usually limited to how much it will cost you to relocate yourself. The training itself doesnt usually cost anything. Infact, many companies will offer relocation assistance also.

Canada is a good place to go when Nav Canada are actually hiring.(which it doesnt seem they are right now) They will provide a bit of relocation assistance and recognize your experience when during the conversiont raining. I cannot comment of the others but there has been alot of discussion on this topic so a quick search should give you answers. Forget the US unless your a citizen.

Someone more familiar with the tower controllers could answer that question. I believe they are mostly employed by the Airport Authority of that particular airport but not sure.

Hope this helps

mrsurrey
19th Mar 2007, 18:44
Thanks very much, I'll get researching! :8

Vasa
19th Mar 2007, 20:03
Hey, MrSurrey!

Without wanting to sound like a miserable pessimist, don't over-concern yourself too soon with the finer points of moving companies within ATC.

Becoming a controller in the first place isn't a given, and from initial application to validation, I'd guess you've maybe an 80-90% chance of not making it (that's just a guess, mind. Someone probably has a better idea).

All I'm saying is, if you want to get into ATC, worry about the important things first!!!

And with that, good luck!!!! :)

Bandbox4Training
19th Mar 2007, 23:21
Having done an engineering degree myself and listening to the experience of many friends that went into the engineering industry post Uni, I can honestly say becoming an ATCO was the best decision I ever made.

It's VERY difficult to validate but once you do its;

Good money, Good Hours, Good Holidays, Job satisfaction (most of the time) and nice people to work with (again, most of the time)

Most of my mates think I'm always on holiday!

Radarspod
20th Mar 2007, 08:39
You could always put your engineering degree to good use and join the NATS engineering graduate scheme - you don't have to go down the ATCO route to get just as much out of a career in NATS (or other providers).:)

mrsurrey
20th Mar 2007, 15:49
Thanks guys,

Bandbox4Training - yes the reality's beginning to filter through from engineering friends so its time to find somewhere where the people are smiling, or at least communicating with other humans!

MrS

wordstwice
20th Mar 2007, 17:07
Although if you become an ATCO you may have to learn the art of ignoring the Engineering types. Well, if you go to Canada you will have to. Also, be sure to ignore the new trainees and the admin staff-its a skill that gets taught to you from day one.............oh, now I remember why i left!!!!
:ugh: