PDA

View Full Version : Security Passes when travelling as a PAX

On-MarkBob
18th Mar 2007, 23:15
Can anyone tell me why I am not allowed to wear my security pass when I am travelling/positioning on duty as a passenger. I have never actually been able to find the rule book in which this rule has been written, and when I have asked to see the written word, no security member has been able to produce it. My Company's rules state clearly that IDs must be worn when on duty, thus there is a conflict, and since I don't work for the airport, I would prefer to wear my pass as required by my company. Furthermore, as the Captain of the aircraft I would be very happy to see passengers wearing them on my aircraft, identifying themselves and knowing that I could muster support from others in the industry should I need it.

Personnally, I think that this has been made up by some envious security numbskull and for some reason it has stuck. It is even listed in the little booklet you get with your ID pass at LGW, which doesn't in my opinion make it a proper rule. I would like to see the definative article and to understand the reason behind it.

Can anyone help?

aw8565
19th Mar 2007, 10:09
The only thing I can think of (as I have heard the same) is that you should not wear your pass so as not to antagonise fellow passengers with the thought that you may be flying for free on a 'staff travel' basis when they have stumped up their hard earned for their seat.

This is simply something in my mind, not sure where I heard it or who from but its there!

Regardless that you possibly paid the same/more for said seat!

I usually keep mine close by although more to stop it getting nicked than using it for any other purpose.

primreamer
19th Mar 2007, 12:04
On the back of my ID is a statement that says "must be worn externally when on duty". It is probable that your interpretation of "on duty" differs to that of the security staff who apply the latest rules and directives rigidly.
I have in the past finished my shift at an outstation, and therefore off duty, and travelled back to home base on first flt of day still in uniform with ID on display and not queried by security. Going the other way, travelling to outstation, in company time, on duty but in civvies have been asked to remove ID.
Unfortunately questioning/discussing/arguing any issue with security staff nowadays is likely to prove fruitless. We just have to grin and bear it.

NuName
24th Mar 2007, 12:08
Since "security badges" are issued in house by airports or company's their relevance elswhere are questionable. Some years ago I produced my companies ID cards using no more than a computer, a printer and my personal knowledge of the individuals. They worked well and were never rejected to allow access to the aircraft. However, to wear one when travelling, why? In the hope of special treatment or, hey look at me I'm a pilot.

Rainboe
26th Mar 2007, 09:33
Well it's perfectly bloody obvious I'm a pilot because I travel in uniform as I'm travelleling on duty to pick up a flight or returning from flying as required! I have to use my ID for the car park, access to offices, and immigration, access to airside when at destination, so it's a question of why not wear it rather than why should you wear it! When I'm in uniform, I wear my ID, otherwise sure as eggs is eggs I'll forget it.

NuName, I don't think you understand the situation. Nobody wears an ID travelling in mufti. Nobody produces 'a company ID that gets you through security'- ID cards now come from the Airport Security authority only- not from some company jo who bangs them off on his computer! We are talking about crew, in uniform, being shouted at to remove their IDs!

I think Security people like making a lot of home grown rules, their own folklore. I would be extremely interested if someone could point me at written regulations, not just folklore, that says a pass should not be worn. When I put my uniform on, I wear my pass, simple. To have to remove it leads to risk of mislaying it, and I'm not at all sure the need to remove it doesn't just stem from someone's whim!

And I couldn't give a damn if anybody thinks it's 'hey look at me, I'm a pilot!'. It don't impress me, it don't impress the ex-wife or ex-kids, and it don't impress the dog! Nobody can see what you do from just an ID.

Mister Geezer
26th Mar 2007, 16:09
You either gain airside access with a boarding card or with a airside pass but not both and you are either a passenger or a member of the operating crew when you fly. Security staff think that if your pass in on view then since you are in uniform then you are a member of the operating crew of a flight which is soon to leave their airport.

JW411
26th Mar 2007, 19:26
This is a fascinating thread. Why, in God's name, would you want to deadhead in uniform whilst wearing an ID card?

You have just ensured that the great-unwashed will guarantee to give you a hard time when you go through security pretending to be a passenger or, even worse, a member of crew which you are not.

I have just retired after nearly 50 years in this game and, if I didn't have time to change completely before deadheading home, I would always take off my uniform jacket and my rank bars, don a pullover and a ratting jacket and then appear at check-in as a passenger.

Sitting in business class wearing a uniform and an ID card guarantees that you cannot have a beer from Toronto to UK or even Edinburgh to LHR!

Why do you need to wear an ID card when off duty? As a TRI/TRE I think I would wonder if you were not somewhat self-centered and full of your own self-importance. Do you need these accoutrements to remind you of who you are? If so, this could be a bit of a worry.

Rainboe
26th Mar 2007, 21:11
Why do you need to wear an ID card when off duty? As a TRI/TRE I think I would wonder if you were not somewhat self-centered and full of your own self-importance. Do you need these accoutrements to remind you of who you are? If so, this could be a bit of a worry

Well what a fascinating viewpoint! What is it about your uniform that you find so shameful you must disguise yourself? I am positioning in uniform because I am taking up a flight, or returning passenger from a flight. I don't have room in my briefcase for a pullover or cape so I can pour beer down my throat in disguise- I am really not interested in drinking, just getting there or getting home. It's not self centred or self important...wherever do you get that from? If I may say that is a very weird attitude. Where does TRI/TRE come into it- bit self important isn't it? I wear the uniform because the company requires it on duty- I couldn't be arsed with your fancy costume changes so I can have a drink. If anybody has a problem with it- it's their problem, not mine.

TheOddOne
26th Mar 2007, 21:19
My take on this one (and I've received numerous calls on the subject over the years) is that this is a CUSTOMS rule. Apparently, they treat staff on duty airside somewhat differently from pax and say that if you wear an ID whilst not actually 'on duty' then you could be misusing your ID for some nefarious purpose.

Security are merely acting as an agent to enforce the Control Authority rule.

I do agree, however, that both Security and Customs could be more forthcoming about the reasons behind the rules. We get told off for questioning any part of the rules and if we dare to persist we get accused of abuse. Very difficult all round.

Cheers,
TheOddOne