PDA

View Full Version : RV 97 Eurostar – Blind spots in front?

porridge
18th Mar 2007, 07:04
Does anyone have any experience with blind spots in these aircraft? The reason why I ask is that yesterday I had 3 close encounters with this type of aircraft mainly on direct collision courses.
In the first instance between Alconbury inbound to Peterborough Connington with an FI Student we encountered this aircraft flying directly towards us at the same height. We turned to avoid it and it carried on oblivious to us.
Later I saw the aircraft on the ground at Connington and we both remarked on what appeared to be the excellent visibility afforded on this aircraft.
On the way back to Cranfield we again encountered, near Alconbury, the sameaircraft whilst practicing Straight & Level and again found the aircraft converging on us from the starboard side, again we manoeuvred to avoid and again as if oblivious to our presence and then it turned towards us again! I sure that this wasn’t deliberate and on both occasions we could see both occupants and read the registration without difficulty.
I don’t know if the aircraft was fitted with a glass cockpit, which seems to be a problem for people piloting Diamond Stars, for example, as I know it is difficult to look outside when one is engrossed in the wonders of these Technicolor presentations.
Comments please.

xrayalpha
18th Mar 2007, 15:08
If it happens three times with the same aircraft, rather than type, it might be an idea to have a chat with the pilot in private? Or, since you mention it was on Ex4, the school?

And if you feel you were actually at risk at any time, then file an airprox.

Any other course of action does leave you open to the suspicion you are just trying to embarrass someone.

pilot108
29th Mar 2007, 19:08
I was disappointed to read the report by Porridge, and heartily agree with the comments in the subsequent message. We are all in the same game and if we fight amongst ourselves we shall have no weapons against the big guns when airports are at threat etc. Direct contact is usually most productive, and I am sure a polite call to the pilot would have been appreciated and whoever it was would have been glad to learn from any mistakes he made.
However, the report implies that the Eurostar involved in these near misses is the one based at Conington. That is definitely not true (and can easily be proven conclusively), and I do not recall seeing any other Eurostar at the airfield that day.
There were only two recorded aircraft which landed at Conington from Cranfield on the day in question. I tracked down the pilot of one without problem, and he was not involved. When I telephoned the flying school owning the other aircraft, the proprietor slammed the telephone down on me.

whizzer
31st Mar 2007, 15:29
As the "other" pilot who visited Connington on that day i have now spoken to the relevant people and told them that it was not me either who posted the remarks about the microlight. We dont teach FIC's at our school. Good luck with your search for the said pilot. Who i believe should really take the time to read your comments and contact you to clear up any misunderstandings.

Cheers and safe flying !!!

Whizzer:ok: