PDA

View Full Version : Charity Flights

Ransman 2
15th Mar 2007, 21:46
Read in this month's (April) issue of Pilot that the age limit for pilots conducting charity flights has been raised from 60 to 65 under AIC white 132/11 2007. What is the definition of a charity flight? Does this mean that, being over 65, I can't , for example, take veterans up in Operation Propeller or children on air experience flights?

bookworm
15th Mar 2007, 22:24
A charity flight is a flight for which valuable consideration (usually in the form of donations) has been given to a charity in respect of the flight or purpose of the flight. That sometimes means given by passengers in exchange for the chance to be carried on the flight, or sometimes a sponsorship for a flight carried out by a solo pilot.

Ransman 2
16th Mar 2007, 15:42
Many thanks, Bookworm. I assume therefore that the circumstances I outlined do not qualify as charity flights provided no consideration is involved. I'd hate to have to stop giving pleasure to others when I can still legally carry passengers and even let them contribute to my costs.

bookworm
16th Mar 2007, 16:14
I don't know what the arrangements are for Operation Propeller and AEF flights, but on the assumption that no one (not even a third party) is paying for the flight in any way, then it's a private flight that does not rely on the Charity Flight exemption (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W132.PDF).

Ransman 2
17th Mar 2007, 18:19
Thanks, bookworm, the AIC 11/2007 (White 132) made interesting reading. I didn't realise that Permit aircraft are excluded but then if the normal passenger carrying rules are suspended for charity flights, that is hardly surprising.

I also agree that a private flight remains just that and without any consideration, the charity flight rules do not apply.