PDA

View Full Version : IR Training in NZ

heli_spy
15th Mar 2007, 01:55
Evening All

I'm currently jumping through the hoops positioned by the JAA and am two thirds of my way through the ATPL(H) exams here in the UK.

I need some light at the end of the tunnel and am seriously considering going over to New Zealand to do an IR and possibly a C Cat Instructor rating when I finish in July. I like it over there, the flying is a challenge, the scenery fantastic and the Kiwi pilots are, it has to be said, pretty damn good. (I was trained by one for my CPL and have flown with a few since.)

I've got the points for skilled migration but in all honestly would much rather go over on a student visa; less hastle, cheaper fees etc and convert at a later date to something more permanent.

Has anyone on this forum gone over to NZ from the UK or Europe to do flight training on a student visa? Do you have to go to a particular training establishment to qualify? If so I'd appreciate any information. PM me if you feel the need to pass on anything too controversial for this open forum:)

I did a tour of the North and South Islands last year so have a pretty good idea where I'd like to go but would like to here of anyones first hand experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Back to the books now.... Flight planning and ops on the 737 yawn :{

feelerup
15th Mar 2007, 04:51
Its very expensive to do Heli IFR in NZ due to the fact there aren't any commercial training schools I know of .
Training here tends to be done "in house" and the flight test is done on a twin, min of BK117.
You also need 20 hour heli out of the 40 .
Go to Aust , Canada or the States , thats what Kiwi's do !!

heli_spy
15th Mar 2007, 08:33
Thanks for the info feelerup. Doing the IR isn't my top priority- it just seems the logical option with the theory side of instruments fresh in my mind after the ATPL exams.

Cheers.