PDA

View Full Version : Ground Instruction

cypilot77
14th Mar 2007, 20:13
hello guys,
i have 3 questions for you because i have FAA CPL and im not familiar with JARs.
1. Can an FAA Ground Instructor give ground training for the JAA ATPL theory exams? OR he has to go through training with JAA first?

2. Under JARs, a JAA Private pilot can become a Flight instructor if he has 150 PIC time. How can somebody teach and get paid without CPL.

3. I heard that any ICAO Pilot with 150 PIC time, can become an assistant flight instructor for JAA training. Whats the difference in training between the assistant and regular FI(A)?

thank you very much.

apruneuk
15th Mar 2007, 06:52
Hi

If you want to teach and be paid for it in a JAA state then you will need a JAA CPL and Flight Instructor (R) licence. A PPL can teach here but must have passed the CPL theory exams and hold an instructor's rating; however, a PPL cannot receive remuneration for flight instruction.
The CAA publication Lasors will give you chapter and verse on all the rules and regs. relating to licensing.

A

BobC
15th Mar 2007, 11:48
apruneuk is correct regards flight instruction. However, to give ground ATPL theory instruction, you do not need a license, although you need to be "approved" by the state under whose auspices you are teaching. Most schools look for people that hold, or have held, an ATPL or who have similar military experience.

BroomstickPilot
16th Mar 2007, 09:48
BobC,

Most schools look for people that hold, or have held, an ATPL or who have similar military experience.

Forgive me, BobC, but in one well known school I attended one of the ATPL ground instructors was a former ground technician of perhaps foreman level. Another instructor was a former flight engineer and another a former RAF navigator on Vulcans.

In another school one of the instructors was a former student who had only passed her own examinations two years earlier. (She was very good). Another was an ex RAF aircraft electrician.

So far as I can tell, the schools seem to have complete free reign over whom they appoint, as long as the appointees can demonstrate that they really know the stuff, can pass scrutiny by the CAA on their regular visits, and get the students through the exams.

Broomstick.

BobC
18th Mar 2007, 15:40
Broomstick

You are quite right. Please forgive my (mistaken) attempt to be brief . There are a number of very good non-pilot ATPL instructors around with both miliatry and civilian backgrounds.