PDA

View Full Version : fly-in-spain.com in Jerez

gms1980
14th Mar 2007, 10:50
Can anybody give any feedback this school based at Jerez call fly-in-spain?? At the moment all i've that it's the best value in Spain to do a PPL and maybe a better option than the States- visas/time constraits etc!!

any comments would be much appreciated!!!

Jools66
14th Mar 2007, 12:12
I´d love some info on Jerez too. Just got all the bumf from Stapleford Flight Centre but as we live in Spain Jerez would be better. Although is it in English or Spanish? My daughter who also wants to train speaks Spanish but mine leaves a lot to be desired to say the least!:confused:

Happy Wanderer
14th Mar 2007, 12:39
German-Spanish (Hans is the boss) outfit that have had good reports on this forum (darned if I can find them though using the search facility :( )
I may well be using them this summer for some hour-building - a/c capacity providing. When I spoke to Hans last summer, first impression was that prices weren't significantly cheaper than you'd pay in the UK (certainly compared to the US anyway) and you also need to bear in mind that you have landing fees to pay too. Good weather and interesting places to visit (Morocco anyone?) are big pluses though. Fog can be a problem in Feb/March time, and Spanish language may be an issue if you go off the beaten track.

May need to check on the JAA/CAA-approved bit though via the official channels - my understanding is/was that F-i-S weren't approved/licensed to conduct JAA/CAA training (this may equate to official JAA/CAA FTO-status), but this may well have changed. Worth checking out if you intend to do most of your flying back in blightey.

HW

keenan
14th Mar 2007, 13:54
I went to Jerez last summer to complete a PPL and have nothing bad to say about it. The company is owned by a german guy and most of the aircraft are german registered however I had a british instructor and there is a CAA registered examiner on staff so exams are not a problem. The language should also not cause a huge problem as Jerez is also home to flight training europe so ATC are used to british pilots. You will even find that Spanish pilots at airfields without ATC will also speak english when you make your initial call. It may be worth brushing up on your bar spanish though as the english is not widely spoken in the towns but hey thats just common courtesy to at least try. Overall Jerez is beatiful and the flying great so leave the murk of britain behind, what have you got to loose?

badboy raggamuffin
14th Mar 2007, 14:58
I did my PPL with them last year, 48hrs total, first time pass, completed in about 6 weeks, would have been shorter had I not had to wait around for an examiner.
Firstly, they are difinitely licenced to conduct CAA training, the appear as BM aviation in the CAA training organisation list. They are basically two companies working side by side. Brian Mellor, a very exprienced and respected instructor and examiner runs BM aviaition, the flight training side of things, using Hans' (a german fella) planes. The planes belong to his company, fly-in-spain.
They have a mix of german and British instructors, who teach the British and german students respectively. The standard of the british instructors when I was there was quite high as Brian Mellor knows his stuff and keeps it all tight. I wouldnt recomend flying with the german instructors, as language and differences in methods could hold u back.

They have a fleet of C172s and a Piper Archer, generally well maintainedby their in house engineer.
One thing I liked about the place was that the guys there are very friendly and relaxed, I went out for drinks/ food with them in Jerez on numerous occasions. They all seemed to really love their flying and the place has a very chilled out and relaxed atmosphere.
The only thing I didnt like was that they are a bit disorganised when it comes to scheduling lessons. They seem to do it on a "take it as it comes" basis, which sometimes got a bit frustrating as they do not really stick to a rigid flying timetable, which can be both a good and a bad thing. They always had sufficient availability to fit me in every day though.
Price wise, my PPL worked out at about 4 and a half grand, quite a bit cheaper than the UK i think.
Also the flying in the local area is very nice, nearby Cordoba is a lovely airport, the local countryside is beautiful, and flying over the mountains on the way to granada at 7500 ft was an unforgetable experience. Plus you get to share an airport with Boeing 737s etc, very interesting if you are cleard to land and you hear a big jet established on 8 mile final! Get in quick and expedite runway exit!
Overall I recomend them highly, just dont expect them to be organised like clockwork, surprising given that they are germans!

gms1980
14th Mar 2007, 20:41
sounds like it's a reasonable school with the good weather also!!!

172driver
14th Mar 2007, 22:24
From all I know a good outfit, but check out also Aerodynamics Malaga (http://www.aerodynamics-malaga.com/)

Jools66
15th Mar 2007, 08:09
Thanks everyone for your help. I´ll definitely check it out. As there´s 2 of us wanting to do it the costs is a big factor. One more thing, anyone think I´m too old at 40? It´s always been my dream to fly commercial but bad careers advice at school left me thinking there was no chance but I find that was all wrong. Please tell me I´m no too old!! I´m fit and healthy and have such a passion for flying you must all feel the same, now it´s becoming a reality and I´m so excted!!!

Happy Wanderer
15th Mar 2007, 09:16
Have you come across the expression 'JFDI'. . . .

Without resurrecting the old age debate. . and if it helps. . . I'm a fit and young at heart 44-year old, ex-banking/HR, passed my PPL last October and now half-way through my ATPLs with Bristol Ground School. Studying full-time at home, sat my first eight exams last week and now working towards the final six. Plan is to complete these by June/July, hour-build in Spain or USA over summer and start my CPL in the UK in the autumn.

I reckon the keys to success in this game are hard work, buckets of self-belief, good networks and some luck along the way. The barriers are self-doubt and complacency.

If it's what you want and you're prepared to work hard and make some sacrifices along the way. . . JFDI!!!

HW

jongriff
15th Mar 2007, 10:19
Hi Jools

as a "fed-up-with-career-path-chosen" type person myself, I have been looking at the aviation route too. At 32 (ok a month away from 33!) i was thinking i was to be put out to graze!

I have just heard about an old instructor of mine that was a fireman for 15 years but has just started flying turboprops in the Isle of Man.

IT IS POSSIBLE IF YOU WANT IT ENOUGH!

I, however am yet to pluck the courage. With a wife and two young kids.... I am worried i may suffer from AIDS (Aviation induced divorce syndrome!) I am half way through a PPL but have paused as my school went bust and i am out of pocket by a few grand.

Any way go for it ! and well done you for taking the plunge!

Keep me informed with your progress ...YOU TOO Happy Wanderer! Much respect!

Jools66
15th Mar 2007, 13:49
Well done Happy Wanderer for passing the PPL and thanks both of you, that´s just what I needed to hear!! Hard work no problem, I´m up for a challenge and I believe that if you´re interested enough in something you´ll learn and I really really want to learn. Been on the website for Jerez this morning, looks fabulous, might go up there for a look next day I get off work. It´s great to talk to like-minded people!

Happy Wanderer
15th Mar 2007, 14:02
Would you let me know how you get on with F-i-S, please? I know the area reasonably well - normally stay in the Vejer de la Frontera area, but last year ventured slightly north to El Puerto (old Cadiz is adorable). F-i-S is just up the road.

HW

IO540
15th Mar 2007, 14:17
I wish this place did FAA training including FAA checkrides. They would make a packet.

Jools66
15th Mar 2007, 14:42
Will do HW. I know area quite well too, I live in Jimena, 90 mins drive from Jerez. Beautiful place

acoulson
19th Mar 2007, 13:34
Thanks for reminding me of one of the best 4 days aviating I've had in 20 years - would agree with all good things stated above. Hans spent at least a couple of hours briefing me about the area and airspace, with ideas, hints and tips, so I felt almost at home almost immediately.

I'd done about 10-ish hours solo in a couple of days and was a bit tired so asked Hans if he would accompany me in to Portugal - we had a long and interesting day to Cascais (near Lisbon) via Portimao.

The solo flights I did were North toward Cordoba and Seville, and to the huge mountains east to Granada. No ATC problems anywhere (though it was busy near Lisbon) and they were very friendly even during/after a self-induced partial radio failure near Granada (blush).

Highly recommended. I've some online photos if anyone's interested.

Andy

Pilotdom
20th Mar 2007, 07:03
says on there website they are gonna be a Aerofriedrichshafen. Might be worth checking them out when im there and having a chat and seeing what they have to say.

VFE
20th Mar 2007, 14:14
Offered my services to them as an instructor some time ago and provided all the information Hans required but he seemed very determined to have a photo of me too and repeatedly requested my photo until I got slightly worried and forgot about that job option...

VFE.

michaelthewannabe
21st Mar 2007, 09:20
(cross-posted from the US training towards UK PPL - advice, please (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268777&page=2) thread)

Look for the "Fly in Spain" thread a few lines down here in the Private Flying section.

Hmm, €129/hour for tuition in a C150. Not bad, but about £15/hour more than US rates in a 172 if you're paying in Sterling. Then again, the flight out there is about £400 cheaper - but accommodation, commuting and living expenses are a lot more expensive.

From the information on their website, and searching holiday accommodation sites, it seems that there's nowhere affordable to stay that's less than 45 minutes' drive away, which adds up to a sizeable petrol bill. Everything seems geared-up to luxury hotels in Jerez, but what I'd want is something more like the American concept of a "long-term hotel" (comfy self-catering room with internet connection, and without the usual hotel leisure amenities). Does anyone have more experience of staying around Jerez?

Taking everything into account, like the M-1 visa and TSA charges for the US, the overall costs for doing a couple of weeks' flying training are pretty similar. Provided that I didn't feel too isolated spending two weeks on my own (when not at the airport) in a country where I don't speak the language at all, Jerez is quite attractive.

cheers!
mtw

acoulson
21st Mar 2007, 14:28
Hans directed me to a hotel in central Jerez (about 20 mins drive ISTR) which was about £20 pn plus parking; I had a very cheap car (again Hans directed me to a company), about a tenner a day I think. The hotel was right in the centre, and too noisy for me, but otherwise was ok. Taxi might have been cheaper and easier.

Something I hadn't anticipated was the propensity for local restaurants to not open till very late (imho).

The Ryanair flight was absolute peanuts. (I took my own ha ha)

Andy

VFE
21st Mar 2007, 14:52
Something I hadn't anticipated was the propensity for local restaurants to not open till very late (imho).
Hola Cadiz... as they say.

Not many of ya tattoo'd Brit fraternity around those parts (unless the FTE students are hiding any) and it's steeped in traditional spanish culture. If you wish to get anywhere then I'd suggest buying a decent basic lingo book and don't be embarrssed about giving it a go because the Spaniards love it when we Brits get stuck in and who knows, you may even find the odd discount cropping up after a meal or bar room session.

VFE.

Happy Wanderer
21st Mar 2007, 15:09
I haven't been to F-i-S (yet anyway), but just to say that the Cadiz/Costa de la Luz area is a fantastic place to visit - totally unspoilt and very Spanish (unfortunately unlike some other parts of the country from Gib eastwards. . .). We go there often, usually staying in the Vejer area, although last year we stayed in a delightful apartment in El Puerto just across the bay from Cadiz. Very ethnic, not a Brit in sight and handy for the surrounding area, including Jerez.

Old Cadiz is a magical place to visit too, especially at night. Yes, the restaurants open late but that's half the fun. A tapas crawl through the old cobbled streets in the Old Town is one hell of a way to spend an evening - very, very civilised indeed.

If I was going there for training or hour building, I'd resist flying all day and then retreating to my hotel room come night time; get out and see something of the place whilst you're there. The locals are extremely friendly and will make you feel very welcome, especially if you're on your own.

HW

michaelthewannabe
21st Mar 2007, 18:59
Thanks very much for your comments, acoulson/VFE/HappyWanderer. Very helpful. It sounds like quite a fun adventure, staying there by myself.

I'm torn between this and going to the US. But I have a suspicion that the waiting list for M-1 visas may make my mind up for me...

pablito3
22nd Mar 2007, 15:46
Hi, I took my PPL in January last year in the U.K. aged 58.
To be frank after bringing up two kids and putting them both through university it was really the first time in my life that I could afford it.
My licence is my proudest possesion and Im so glad that I didn't let my age put me off. I also live in Spain, near Malaga, but am considering going to Florida in the near future to do an IMC and some hour building. The costs in the U.K. are very high especially when youn factor in landing fees. I must say that nI have also looked at flyinspain aat Jerez but I just dont think anyone can beat the U.S.A. prices.
Anyway, go for it and good luck. Age is only a number. Mind I wish I had your number again.

S-Works
22nd Mar 2007, 16:13
Removes the out of sight of the surface restriction on a UK licence which then allows VFR on top.

S-Works
22nd Mar 2007, 16:23
exactly!!! It is perfectly possible to cross vast expanses of overcast in france and arrive in Spain with SCT cloud. An IMC would allow the UK PPL holder to fly over the top but not do an IAP.