PDA

View Full Version : Permit to Fly Question

GK430
13th Mar 2007, 19:46
I will ask the PFA but in the meantime,
I need to go to Belgium but understand we do not have an agreement with them to enable aircraft with Permits to Fly to enter their airspace/land without dispensation.
We had to get this for the Channel Islands which was very straightforward.
Can anyone advise who/how to approach in Belgium?
One other theory is that if I route through a country with whom we do have normal dispensation, I can then land in Belgium under the Schengen Rules.
Insurance is not an issue - it is Europe wide.
I am not looking to start a general debate - but if anyone knows the facts, I would be grateful - thanks.

FlyingForFun
13th Mar 2007, 21:21
I have done it - and WR's reply is along the right lines, but not quite correct.

You do have to apply to the Belgian authorities for permission in advance, but that permission is granted for a whole year. So no need to worry if you have to cancel - you can try again later, any time in that year. At the end of the year, you are supposed to write to the Belgian authorities again with details of all the flights you conducted during that year, for their information. I have to admit to having completely forgotten to do this, but they never bothered chasing me in the several years that have passed since.

The address I have is:

Ministere des Communications et de l’Infrastructure
Administration de l’Aeronautique
Direction Aviation Privee
Rue de la Fusee 90
1130 Bruxelles
BELGIUM

But this is a few years old, so check the PFA website for the latest address.

Schengen only comes into play if you departed from another Schengen country, so wouldn't apply if you departed from the UK. In any case, it is not connected to this authorisation at all - all Schengen means is that you wouldn't need to worry about customs, passport control, etc.

Feel free to post here or PM me if you want any more information.

FFF
-----------------

GK430
14th Mar 2007, 09:14
Flying for Fun

Many thanks, that sounds about right & similar to our approach to the Channel Islands authorities.

I'll chase up the Belgians so I can get there later than originally intended.
But it'll beat other non aeronautical methods of getting there!

deing
14th Mar 2007, 10:12
You can get the approval from :

Luchtvaart dienst bedrijfserkenningen
Ann Reynaert
CCN
Vooruitgangstraat 80 bus
1030 Brussel

email : [email protected]

They need copies of certificate of registration, permit to fly and insurancecertifcate
If you email everything you should receive your permission by email within a week.
The bill (82 euro) will be send a couple months after you receive the permission which is valid 1 year

GK430
14th Mar 2007, 14:04
Thanks deing
I emailed another address earlier but I will forward same to this one to be sure.
Thanks GK

GK430
14th Mar 2007, 18:44
deing
Ann is definitely the contact - many thanks indeed as she has responded already.

WR
Thanks - did a bit of research earlier but the e-mail address in PFA doc. from
'05, (the one I Googled), appears out of date - well maybe.

For anyone else interested, you need to apply at least 10 days in advance of your first flight in Belgian airspace and the permit will be valid for a period not exceeding 30 days in one calendar year. Cost: 82 Euros.

Fly Vans:D