PDA

View Full Version : ME Instructor Rating

if u can
13th Mar 2007, 03:17
I am concidering commencing a ME Instructor course. Would anyone have any tips or advise as to how to prepare for it. I will possibly be training in an Aztec. Are there any Multi Intructors out there with Aztec experience who is able to give me any advise or tips on Multi teaching. I understand i will be taught everything during the course but i am interested in finding out other procedures/techniques. You can never be too prepared:)

barrow
13th Mar 2007, 11:39
during single engine ops, stay well away from redline.!

The clown in the left seat will kill you, stay away from redline!!!!!!!

Never simulate more than one emergency at a time!:=

They will ALWAYS pull the wrong lever, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.:E

NEVER EVER make a sim emergency into a real one!:eek:

Engine failure on t/off roll, when you pull mixture, be ready to pull other one!:D

Under 1500 agl sim engine fail with throttle.
1500agl you can use mixture for failure in traffic pattern.
Fuel shutoff engine failure, above 3000agl, over airport.

To simulate VMCA, recover by 3000agl minimum, hold right pedal, then let it go at blueline. Stay away from redline!:ooh:

Do not fail engine below Vsse. vmca*1.2.:ugh:

B2N2
13th Mar 2007, 14:07
The Aztec is noisy, so get a good headset, even an active noise reduction one.
Learn to use the hand pump for the gear.
Aztec in training mode (2 people and full fuel) is about a 1000lbs below MTOW, so generally to get it to climb SE should not be a problem.
Be very familiar with the fuel system, to a new ME student it will be confusing.
As in most twins (except the Seminole) VMC is above stall speed so use only half power to recover from the stall as you clean up the airplane.
Do NOT use full power for power on stalls.
Be very careful with VMC demo's (as above), below blueline is automatic intervention.
Fly 17" MAP and 2300 RPM in the practice area, that will give you appr. man. speed. As fell as decent fuel burn.
Engine instruments are generally on the right side, so in front of you, watch them like a hawk and learn to recognize what is normal for your airplane.
Have respect for the airplane, the one i flew was from 1966, so that spar is 40 years old.

Beware of fuel leaks.

BTW, I have tremendously enjoyed my 600 hrs dual given in the Aztec.

FlyingForFun
13th Mar 2007, 21:16
Not specific to Aztec, as I have very little Aztec time, but just a couple of general things which I wish I'd known before I did the MEI course:

Know the difference between EFATO, engine failure in the cruise and engine fire drills.

Understand that, when asymmetric, every single power or speed change will require a change of rudder trim. Practice this in your flying before your MEI course.

And one more for after you finish the course once you start instructing: when actually feathering an engine, always do it at the end of the flight, not the start. That way, if the engine doesn't start again, you don't have to throw away the rest of the planned flight.

FFF
---------------

hugh flung_dung
14th Mar 2007, 12:54
Some good points made by everyone so far - a few additional comments:

Insist on a pre takeoff engine failure and performance brief; stick with what you brief
know your stall speeds and don't get within 2-3kts of them when asymmetric, (the point about feathering, and small bank angle can be made by showing the reduced rudder, you don't need to go slower than the first Vmc demo (or Vs+2))
use sneaky fuel shut-off in the cruise, it causes surging and makes the stude analyse rather than just going through the drill (assuming they don't see you do it). Personally I don't see why this needs to be done over the airport - it's no different to pulling mixture to ICO
don't simulate engine failure on the take-off roll - it's much too marginal, is bad for the engines and teaches nothing. Discuss it but don't do it.
teach EFATO from a simulated take-off at 2000ft, or from a symmetric go-around at ach
insist that the stude's hand is on the live throttle whenever it doesn't need to be (briefly) somewhere else

HFD

barrow
14th Mar 2007, 14:28
hugh flung_dung Some good points made by everyone so far - a few additional comments:
Insist on a pre takeoff engine failure and performance brief; stick with what you brief
know your stall speeds and don't get within 2-3kts of them when asymmetric, (the point about feathering, and small bank angle can be made by showing the reduced rudder, you don't need to go slower than the first Vmc demo (or Vs+2))
use sneaky fuel shut-off in the cruise, it causes surging and makes the stude analyse rather than just going through the drill (assuming they don't see you do it). Personally I don't see why this needs to be done over the airport - it's no different to pulling mixture to ICO
don't simulate engine failure on the take-off roll - it's much too marginal, is bad for the engines and teaches nothing. Discuss it but don't do it.
teach EFATO from a simulated take-off at 2000ft, or from a symmetric go-around at ach
insist that the stude's hand is on the live throttle whenever it doesn't need to be (briefly) somewhere elseHFD
I think their is a huge difference [risk wise] between mixture and fuel shutoff valve, when demonstrating and performing this task. And over the field, mitigates the risk somewhat.

To your second point: I believe there is a training value to be had for EFTO/roll, however in the US, for FAA training, this should not be done at a speed more than 50% of VMCG.:=

hugh flung_dung
14th Mar 2007, 14:50
When the fuel is turned-off the engine tends to surge for a while and the aircraft oscillates in yaw, the stude is then forced to fault find by retarding throttles to determine which side to investigate further. Once they've discovered that a "dumb passenger" must have accidentally switched-off the fuel they simply turn it on again and reset the throttle. This is done in the cruise and I don't see that it's high risk, but if the FI wants the engine back in a hurry you just turn the fuel on - from the engine's perspective it's the same as when mixture is used. The risk is lower than (e.g.) a simulated engine fire leading to feathering (during asym 2) which isn't usually done over the airfield.
Maybe I've missed something, why do you think it's high risk?

Simulating an engine failure on the takeoff roll leads to huge sideloads on the nose gear and a VERY VERY small window for the stude to do the right thing - less than half a second! The FI needs to intervene so rapidly that the stude can't be left to make a mistake and to learn. If they ever have a real engine failure during the roll they will either react fast enough to stay on the runway or they won't - IMHO this exercise will not have helped them.
BTW, I'm talking light twins - many of which don't have Vmcg specified.

In the UK there's a test requirement for an aborted take-off but (AFAIK) this is usually initiated by the FE calling stop, stop, stop. In my early days of examining I used mixture once, but never again!

HFD

if u can
21st Mar 2007, 04:14
:ok: I do thank all for their contributions to my request. All of the information will taken on board and hopefully make the transition a little easier. Flight Test in a week so after that i will get to pass on my knowledge and become very profficient in the Aztec.
Much Appreciated

if u can