PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads up.

YHZ
12th Mar 2007, 22:20
Hey guys,

I'm currently flying in Europe and would like to come back and fly in Canada. I have 1500hoursish, 800 on a saab 340b, and 500 on a fokker 100 which im presently flying. Could some of you in the industry allready tell me whats the movement like now in Canada. I left 2 years ago and nothing was goin on at the time. I saw that AC brought their reqs. down to 1000hrs, whats the deal with that. Is it just for show, I cant believe someone would get into AC with just that. Any heads up info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

YHZ
12th Mar 2007, 23:13
just a couple of reasons really. i want to get into the industry in canada so i can know the inns and outs and try to get on with AC so i can start the seniority ladder. The longer i stay in Europe the longer it takes for me to climb that ladder.

sec 3
13th Mar 2007, 09:58
Well said BusTie. All you said is true, but life ain't a bowl of cherries either everywhere eastward. I can sleep better at night though, not being ripped off every day by the canadian government to pay for all the lazy bums and scum who are too lazy to work,and all the BS that goes with it. One thing you will get more of going east is respect as a pilot. Just a little of that goes a long way.:) It's a great experience working on the other side of the world, but it's not for everybody.AC is,and probably always will be the best job in canada. Happy Flying

Mogas
13th Mar 2007, 17:25
YHZ,

Getting employed requires "the right to live and work" in Europe. How did you manage to get that?

YHZ
13th Mar 2007, 17:33
I got the right to work and live in Europe do to the fact my parents immigrated when i was young so i have double citizenship. bustie, what company is the on that offers those great things you talk about could you PM me please.

aileron
13th Mar 2007, 18:39
yhz,

ive been flying in europe for over 13 years, i wont be returning to Canada to fly. (same profitable company for the last 10 years, they made me a 75 captain at 30, pay is great and so are the people). the first few years were unsettling but as 'bus tie' says flying in Canada is a little depressing, when does the pain end?:ugh:

a good friend of mine has been flying for AC for 2 years. He absolutely HATES it and is actively looking to leave. 'there isnt a day that goes by that I dont regret joining AC', dont get me wrong he's a good decent guy. (We used to fly together way back in Northern Ontario). he loves flying, but isnt a robot.

low morale, no spirit or teamwork, strike looming in 2008, constant complaining, union politics, age 60-65 issues etc etc. WJ seem to be doing well though.....

be careful what you wish for it isnt what you think.

Mogas
14th Mar 2007, 00:33
Okay than,

How do I get a job in Europe? I dont have a right to live and work in Europe. Should I forget about it or is there still hope? I'm Cdn and have a turboprop rating. I'm willing to convert my licences if there's light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps YHZ and aileron can point me in the right direction.

aileron
14th Mar 2007, 07:26
mogas,

if you werent born in europe or down the line to your grandparents i think the only other way is through marriage..........take a vacation to eastern europe, and meet a nice young lady! or failing that come to the UK........

flying didnt work out for me in Canada but of course has for many people, the important thing to remember is its a big world of aviation out there and many airlines such as Cathay, Emirates etc dont require a certain citizenship. good luck.

tbaylx
14th Mar 2007, 09:39
YHZ.

Bustie is talking bout the ME airlines i believe. Emirates offers most of that stuff, Ethihad is similar..Gulfair and Qatar are a bit behind that but still better than Canadian airlines. I suspect they'd want a bit more experience, but send a resume anyway, you never know.

YHZ
14th Mar 2007, 17:23
Mogas,

He is right, unless you can get ahold of some EU passport i dont know how. I knew some guys that worked for some Turkish airlines, they payed good and lived in Antalya but that was a few years ago.

And for the others, thanks for the info guess i should start have other aspiring thoughts. thanks

Mogas
14th Mar 2007, 18:54
I heard about a guy going to Turkey for a turboprop job (happening as we speak). Cdn licences, Cdn citizen, mid 20's, no European background, no European wife, a turboprop PPC, and about 500 hours. Supposedly training and licence conversion fees are going to be paid for. I don't keep in contact with that guy but my colleagues do. Can anybody shed some light on this?

doo
15th Mar 2007, 19:41
Mogas-------- if you hold a type endorsement on good equipment then the contractors such as Parc are lookin.

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Mar 2007, 02:49
Excellent post BusTie:

I also left Canada to fly eleven years ago.

Best decision I ever made.

You were bang on about the tax burden in Canada to support a bloated government hive of drones, but I'm going to have to give you a little update on Canada, they now have "fees" tagged on to almost every contact you have with these blood suckers, so you are now double taxed.