PDA

View Full Version : 757/767 FMC/MCDU Tips

thewingedone
12th Mar 2007, 21:47
Hi Guys and Gals, I have been flying the 757 and 767 for about 2 years now and am just becoming really comfortable with everything operationally, and the actual flying of the aircraft.

My query is this....every few flights I come across someone who knows some nifty trick or something new you can do with the FMC, which isn't documented in our Tech Notes.

Does anyone know where I might get hold of the boeing guide for the FMC/MCDU its the pegasus with PIP version we have on our a/c. I have scoured the boeing and Honeywell sites but can't find anything to actually download

Alternatively people could post their nifty hints/tips below, taking care not to repeat whats already there of course....

Thanks a lot

THEWINGEDONE

Spooky 2
12th Mar 2007, 21:56
Well first of all either it's a PIP or it's a Pegasus but never both. As for the manuals....all of the various Boeing Vol. 2 Operations manuals for the B757/767 have a Chapt. 11 Flight Management-Navigation. Wish I could say something nice about the Boeing material but I'm afraid it's pretty hard to digest IMO. Honeywell does publish a FMS manual for the PIP/Pegasus and as I recall it costs about $75US. Also available are the manuals produced and published by Bill Bulfer (sp?) (CAL pilot) Pretty sure you can get a quick handle on them via Google

Good luck

MrBernoulli
13th Mar 2007, 10:03
Trouble with Bill Bulfer's Large Boeing Manual (covering 747, 757, 767 and 777 I believe), it hasn't been updated since 1999! Shame really.

tubby linton
13th Mar 2007, 10:21
Does anyone have a contact for Honeywell as I would like to get a manual for the bus?

Rainboe
13th Mar 2007, 12:23
It seems each airline decides what FMS software enhancements it wants for its various fleets. Having come from a fleet where lots of bells and whistles were included, I now see a more basic package. Previously, there was the facility to:
Have a Route 2
Insert just airways and the computer will work out the intersect points
Insert a time fix and have that appear on the map route as a time- useful if you want to remember to turn seatbelts on/get people out of the bunk etc.

I've now discovered a new trick that I don't know if we had previously:
Rt, Track offset both sets, 0.1R in both FMS displays, both Delete buttons simultaneously, then Legs (I think). Shows dist and time to all nearest airfields. Any other mysterious 'tricks'?

Spooky 2
13th Mar 2007, 13:53
Don't have an exact address but the Hoenywell facility is located in Phoenix. Do a Google search and I bet you can come with a point of contact.

vapilot2004
14th Mar 2007, 02:32
Have a look here (https://www.honeywell.com/) < Fixed link. Thanks Check.

Honeywell.com > click Aerospace on the right under Industries Served > Click on My Aerospace to get to the portal login. Sign up for an account to access the publications.

penguin22
14th Mar 2007, 02:47
When I checked out on the 767 years ago, I went out and bought all the crap I could find, including Honeywell's manual, which wasn't worth a darn.

The only guide that was worth the bother was the Big Boeing FMC Users Guide by Bulfer and Gifford. Lot's of neat little stuff I haven't seen anywhere else.

Googled it, and its still available here...
http://www.fmcguide.com/catalog/

Check Airman
17th Mar 2007, 18:04
That honeywell link is broken

Floppy Link
17th Mar 2007, 22:21
Funny you should ask
Just got my copy of the Big Boeing FMC Users Guide by Bulfer and Gifford. I'd say on a quick glance that it should keep you going for a while...
I got it in the UK from one of the pilot shops, anagram of Trains Ra :E
From ordering online to delivery in Scotland was less than 18 hrs, pretty impressive. :ok:

Dan Winterland
17th Mar 2007, 23:27
But it will send you to sleep faster than Tamazepam!

MrBernoulli
19th Mar 2007, 10:46
My recent experience looking for good 777 FMC stuff suggests that companies like Honeywell protect info such as FMC manuals in a very zealous way. Can't think why. I understand the need to look after their technology and research/development ..... but the pilots still have to learn to use the darn things properly. There is a culture of 'knowledge is power' and they don't necessarily want the end users to have too much 'power'.

Fatter Bastard
19th Mar 2007, 11:47
my favourite after getting off an aircraft is to type in:

I.SAID.INVALID.ENTRY.YOU.IDIOT

and then line select that to any field e.g. ZFW so you get the

INVALID ENTRY msg

so when the next guy comes along, he/she sees INVALID ENTRY, they clear the message and then see I.SAID.INVALID.ENTRY.YOU.IDIOT

gold, jerry, gold.

This is the kind of stuff the should be teaching. :ok: :E

Tango Niner
1st May 2018, 23:24
Sorry to jumpstart an old thread, but I was having trouble starting a new one.

Here’s a poll for all the 757/767 drivers out there: is anyone still running a non-PIP FMC? How about PIP? Suspect everyone has upgraded to Pegasus by now, but I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Pegasus?
PIP?
or (gasp) non-PIP?