PDA

View Full Version : G-Reg aircraft rental on FAA PPL

Jay_solo
11th Mar 2007, 11:31
The CAA states that you can fly a UK G-reg aircraft on an ICAO PPL (with certain restrictions). However I'm assuming that this is much easier said than done. I have an FAA PPL with 200 hours, and I called Cabair in Biggin hill and they said "No, you need to convert to a JAA PPL by taking 3 ground exams and a flight test" - which contradicts the CAA, but I can see why they maybe reluctant. (This could be due to insurance reasons or they can't be bothered with the hassle etc) Does anyone have experience off, or know which clubs has rented aircraft to FAA PPL pilots before? And why is it so much easier to do it the other way round i.e JAA PPL to American FAA PPL?

NH2390
11th Mar 2007, 13:14
I had the same response initially at a different school. It's because they want to sell you training. I 'informed' them otherwise, and once they realised that I knew the rules, they were happy to rent to me after the usual checkout.

Did you tell them the CAA rule, and did they then refuse you? Dispite many rumours, I've not heard of anyone actually being refused. Maybe try a different club.

Jay_solo
11th Mar 2007, 16:15
To be honest, no I did not tell them about the CAA rule. But I'll try again and see what they say. If not, I'll try a different school.

IO540
11th Mar 2007, 18:25
On each occasion where I was refused, I was told that they were not insured for non UK/Euro licenses

That is most likely bo11ocks. UK aviation insurance is rarely that discriminatory; normally it is written on the basis of everything having to be legal (i.e. no breaking of the ANO on the pilot licensing / aircraft certification front) and perhaps min X hours, etc.

Jay_solo
11th Mar 2007, 20:38
Can anyone name flying clubs or schools who have rented to them in the past on a FAA ppl?

scooter boy
11th Mar 2007, 23:00
Can anyone name flying clubs or schools who have rented to them in the past on a FAA ppl?

About 13 years ago Modern Air at Fowlmere near Duxford were happy to rent out (a G-reg a/c) to me on my FAA PPL. I don't know if they are still going.

I had the same experience at the first place I proudly presented my US license to on return to the UK and found their sneering offer of "Further training" at yet more expense in a rusty old C152 somewhat unappealing.

Eventually I did the CAA tests (what fun!:} ) and gained my CAA PPL which I used for 5 years when I owned a G-reg aircraft but since realising the relative ease of IFR ops in an N-reg and changing my plane to one on that register I have let the CAA license lapse.

Your alternative mission should you choose to accept it is to rent out an N-reg aircraft - this may be easier said than done, but there are plenty around within the UK.

Good luck,

SB

Heliport
11th Mar 2007, 23:36
Your alternative mission should you choose to accept it is to rent out an N-reg aircraft - this may be easier said than done, but there are plenty around within the UK.

Is that legal?

Sounds like good common sense but that doesn't mean the CAA allows it.

Henry Hallam
11th Mar 2007, 23:50
Cambridge Aero Club at EGSC, and Devon & Somerset Flight Training at EGTU have both been willing to let me rent on my FAA PPL, after a checkride of course.
Cambridge Aero Club also allowed me to take one of their G-reg aircraft to France, after very carefully going over the ANO to prove that it's legal (which is of course a bit tricky because it doesn't explicitly state what's legal, only what isn't)

scooter boy
12th Mar 2007, 13:27
Heliport,
You are of course right. The owner would need to gain special dispensation from the DfT since the CAA take a dim view of money being made in N-reg aircraft on flights entirely within UK airspace.

It would be interesting to know if anybody with an N-reg aircraft has been successful in gaining this dispensation since Dennis Kenyon's prosecution brought this to light.

SB

IO540
12th Mar 2007, 15:47
Renting N-reg is not itself illegal.

The problem is that ANO Article 115 prevents Aerial Work in a foreign reg without DfT permission, and the DfT permission (which itself is available only for training the applicant) will never be issued to a renter because he won't satisfy the DfT aircraft ownership requirements.