PDA

View Full Version : Regulation qun about announcements

gtadxb
10th Mar 2007, 08:51
Does anyone know, firstly, whether it is compulsory for an airline to make on-board announcements in english even though there are no english-speaking passengers on board, and second, where I could find the legal text if the answer is 'yes' ??
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but not 100%...
Thank you

Piltdown Man
13th Mar 2007, 20:35
There is no one correct answer however, the closest that you will get will be to look at the country of registration of the aircraft. Generally if it's British then you'll get it in English, if it's Dutch you get it in Dutch and English (at least), if French then French but if it's from the third world, lucky if you get one at all!
PM

ATCO Two
14th Mar 2007, 00:36
There were English announcements on an Aeroflot service from Moscow to Khabarovsk. I was impressed.

ETOPS
14th Mar 2007, 08:09
Just look at this logically. Most countries Aviation Authorities lay down minimum safety standards for their carriers including on-board announcements. Using the national language is sensible (especially for domestic flights) and where countries have dual ethnicity then the alternate language as well - think of Belgium.

In order to get the message across to as many other pax as possible what language should you use?

On sheer numbers it would be Chinese. But what language is used worldwide as a "second" as far afield as South America and Japan?

This is not a criticism of any other language but just a sensible way out of a potential problem...

airseb
14th Mar 2007, 09:22
i'm not completely sure but i think i saw the text in question was in pan-ops, defined by icao.

the text said security announcements are mandatory and have to be made at least in english.

bye now

TheGorrilla
14th Mar 2007, 11:29
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF

or the link to the pdf,

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=226

Section 1 part 5 (operation of aircraft) of the ANO contains the regulations on "passenger briefing by commander".

Sadly it contains no reference to the language it is to be given in. However, it stands to reason that a demonstration may be effected visually. Being practical, the demo needs to be understood by all pax. Therefore, by use of more than one language the operator may cover themselves. English, being widely spoken is an obvious one to start with. I understand the point raised here though is "what is the point if noone onboard understands english (pilots excluded - hopefully!)"!!!!! :ugh:

:confused: :confused: :confused: