PDA

View Full Version : Doing my PPL in another Language

Polorutz
9th Mar 2007, 21:29
Hi guys, as the first step towards my career in aviation I've decided to do my PPL before I apply to CTC again (was just rejected on phase 3).

I live in Switzerland and speak German fairly well... although not nearly as good as I speak english and I was wondering if the subjects covered in the PPL are so technical as to not be easy to understand to someone with enough domain of German as to understand what is being said.

Also... if I really put myself into it, how long can it take me to obtain my PPL??

QDMQDMQDM
10th Mar 2007, 09:46
I don't think this will be a problem if you speak reasonable german. I speak reasonable french and have done flight training in it with no problem.

Mariner9
10th Mar 2007, 10:07
The flying training should be straighforward enough, but the written exams might pose more of a challenge unless you're very fluent in written, technical German

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Mar 2007, 10:07
Even with just some basic skills in German and some help of a mate or an instructor that should not be a problem.

proctor
10th Mar 2007, 14:33
I speak reasonable french and have done flight training in it with no problem.

Moi aussi. When I started I struggled to understand more than the basics, but I've found that my French has rapidly improved as a result of flying. As for the theory exams- with multiple choice questions all you have to do is read and understand- eminently easier than having to actually write your own sentances!

Emiratesfc
10th Mar 2007, 19:00
Hello,
Very curious to know if they teach the course in foreign languages, Spanish in particular, as i have to do a placement year in a spanish speaking country for my degree. This would be ideal and would save me from roaming a foreign land, causing carnage.
:mad:
Many thanks

dublinpilot
10th Mar 2007, 19:43
Would the r/t privlidges be restricted to german? Or is there an English r/t exam along side the german exams?