PDA

View Full Version : Route to becoming flight instructor?

jmullen
9th Mar 2007, 19:15
Hello, I'm a new member to these forums and am very interested in a career in aviation. So much so that I've left uni to start saving up for a licence! Although I'm still open to different directions, I'm currently considering becoming a light aircraft flight instructor. Does anyone know which licenses and how much experience (and money!) I'll need to get there? Or if there are cheaper ways, sponsorship for example. Thanks very much
James

jmullen
9th Mar 2007, 19:33
Probably should have mentioned I'm in the midlands in England

portsharbourflyer
9th Mar 2007, 21:57
Not sure what you were studying at University but a graduate salary may have actually helped you secure the funding to do flight training, especially if you were studying a decent subject.
Light aircraft instructing is not something you can make a living from and to train as an FI will cost you at least 20,000 with careful planning.
Training comprises PPL (3000 overseas, about 6000 at a UK club)
100 hours of hour building (possible 3 to 4000 overseas, you may be able to get 65 an hour on an hour building rate in this country).
Night rating needed for CPL issue (6 to 700 pounds).
ATPL or CPL exams, about 1600 for the distance learning course, 750 pounds in exam fees.
CPL course (5000 in the UK, possible 3000 in the US), assuming you complete in minimum time at first attempt.
FI course (5000 in the UK), this doesn't include flight test fees (650 for the CPL flight test, probably gone up again actually),
If you want to make a living from instructing you would need to progress to multi IR instructing, which means you will need an IR, after a period of ppl instructing then do 30 hours of multi engine hour building, a multi and IRI upgarade on your instructors rating hence your training cost will come out at the 40 - 50 000 mark.
IR 10 to 12000,
Instructing full time to get restriction lifted (possibly only paid 15 pounds per hour flown)
IRI upgrade 1500 pounds
30 hours multi engine (3000 in the US, but factor in travel expense and such forth , thereofore 4500)
MEI upgrade 1500 to 2000 pounds.
GAPAN do have sponsorship schemes each year for the instructor ratings, but you will need CPL to apply.

Minimum requirement to do the the FI(r) is,PPL with CPL theory exams passed, 150 hours P1 or a CPL with 100 hours P1. If you want to get paid to instruct you will need the CPL, the 100 hours p1 needs to include 20 hours cross country.

Whopity
22nd Mar 2007, 18:00
You could consider Microlight instruction, you only need a PPL, less cost to qualify and more earning potential. http://www.bmaa.org/

flying jocks
4th Apr 2007, 09:34
Donīt want to sound like your Dad here, but being a university graduate does open a lot more doors than pulling out.
However, committment is what enables people to succeed in this business (amongst other things e.g flying aptitude).
Do you just want to be an instructor or do you aspire to the airlines?
If it is the latter, the best thing you can do is raise the finance (career loan, scholarship or self funding) and do an integrated course at Jerez or some other organisation. Bear in mind that the minimum course costs could go up depending on how you perform. You will also need to factor in general expenses for 14 months.
A good school should invite you for an assessment first to test your ability with basic maths and science aswell as hand eye coordination, reasoning skills and other aptitudes needed for becoming a pilot. If you donīt have these then you have potentially saved yourself tremendous expense and heartache. Other schools may simply invite you to suck it and see what happens.
Upon graduation, you will have the minimum qualifications to apply directly to an airline. This is by far the preferred route for airlines as it presents the least risk option for them especially if you leave the school with a recommendation - trust me, I did it the hard way (the former) and it has taken considerably longer to secure an airline job.
It may be several years before you have paid off your training debt, but after a few years flying in an airline, you are in 'the system' and if the market stays bouyant as it currently is, it will be money well spent.
Beware - there are no guarantees of getting a job!! so make sure that you have a back up plan if you are considering taking out a loan.
If you genuinely want to be an instructor then ask yourself why. Do you have a strong vocation to teach? Are you prepared to work for peanuts at the beginning? Instruction has its rewards, but like all jobs, you need to get the experience first before you will be able to teach and earn a decent living.
Hope this helps
FJ

spittingimage
4th Apr 2007, 10:14
Blimey, portsharbourflyer ! Only just seen this one. Is that what I have already spent ?? I had better not let Mrs SI see this !