PDA

View Full Version : Why are NATS so vague on their eyesight requirements during the application process?

PPRuNeUser0162
8th Mar 2007, 10:37
As per the title, I have recently applied to NATS for their ATCO course, only to get a rejection today because of my eyesight.
Now I did do as much research as I could and the NATS recruitment website itself only states that you're required to pass a class 1 medical once you are accepted, which I can.
I also searched the font of all knowledge (and that is said with all seriousness) which is Pprune and couldn't find anything specifying other than a class 1.
Now I have -4.25/-4.5 which I know is not great, but it's within class 1 medical limits, but following my e-mail I called H.R. and I have only now learnt that NATS have a policy of +/-3.5
So, all I would like to know is, why is this not mentioned (as H.R. didn't give me any information whatsoever on the phone) and why is this so strict?
Many thanks
Britboy

prowler
8th Mar 2007, 13:22
sorry for u mate......

at LEAST u got a reply, or an acknowledgement if its yes or no or wateva reason as an excuse they found to reject u...:suspect:

I didnt even get any acknowledgement, reply or any excuse....

And this is with my 12 year ATC Experience with 3 Valid Ratings!!

Life's a bitch @ times...

But its not that Im losin any sleep over it.... .Of Course 4u, it is abit different!!:sad:

pumuckl
8th Mar 2007, 15:19
Although you are within the JAA Class 1 Medical limits, you are NOT within the UK Class 1 Medical limits for an initial application. I know, it doesn't make sense, but as an ATCO you need the UK Class 1 Medical (not the JAA Class 1) and as such it is not a NATS requirement, but a CAA one.

The UK Class 1 Medical eyesight limit for an intial application is -3 (it is -5 for a JAA Class 1). Whereas the renewal limit is -5 for a UK Class 1, it is -8 for a JAA Class 1. The doctors will allow a little bit of leeway (hence the NATS policy of -3.5) if your eyesight is stable given your age. When I got my initial UK Class 1 my eyesight was -3.25 and I got it.

Apparently there are plans to bring the UK Class 1 in line with the JAA Class 1; they have been talking about this for a while now. I had this discussion with the CAA Medical branch a while back. See this post:

ATCO Medical (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124642)

As far as I am aware, it hasn't changed yet. Give the medical branch in Gatwick a call - they'll be able to clarify.

Cheers
p. :8

PPRuNeUser0162
8th Mar 2007, 16:00
Thanks for the clarification pumuckl. I really thought I have an excellent shot at getting on the course and that's what's annoying. I wouldn't have given it a second thought if I knew straight off that the eyesight regs stated +/- 3.5, but I didn't and so I applied.