PDA

View Full Version : Civil ATC Jobs in NZ

Genisis Dreaming
8th Mar 2007, 07:07
Any info on the working coniditions of Airways NZ, pay scales, career progression, the general NZ ATC System.

Thanks very much.

GD.

prowler
8th Mar 2007, 09:24
hi there

check this out...

http://www.airways.co.nz/

Happy?

Im sure you cann find osme detailed info u require.

Cheers:)

conflict alert
8th Mar 2007, 17:24
are you asking about starting from scratch or as a rated controller from somewhere else already. Do you want to know about Towers / Radar or both?

Genisis Dreaming
9th Mar 2007, 00:29
I am rated already in Oz. But more interested in the kind of work and Airways its self.

Ta.

conflict alert
9th Mar 2007, 04:27
I basically went in straight from school and just about completed 25 years now and still going. I can't think of anything else I would rather be doing. Uncle Airways is quite good, altho some may disagree and like most outfits, there are generally some issues between some staff and management.

NZ has domestically C or D airspace - and of course uncontrolled.

Instead of Grades we have Bands

Band A is Domestic Tower Aerodrome or Aerodrome/Procedural Approach
Band B is International Towers or ENROUTE Radar
Band C is Oceanic
Band D is Terminal Radar.

A is the lowest paid base salary going to the highest at Band D.
You then have Steps which coincide with years of service so each year you get a higher step = pay increase to a max of 20years. Further to this we get an Allowance calculated on the penal % of each sector or tower roster. As each unit or sector may work different hours/shifts etc the % various among rosters (sectors). You get extra for working Public Holidays or Recalls (call back to duty on Off Duty day). Recalls are voluntary (you can get rostered them way in advance but it just about never happens). There is absolutely no pressure to accept a recall. You get a Day in Lieu for each Public Hol whether you work it or not and we have a great thing called Sharing in Performance which - if Airways meets its goals set out for the year - then every employee of Airways gets a bonus payout. The last few years its been about 1500 so its a nice wee plus middle of the year.

Super is 2 for 1.

Progression is up to the individual. Once you have a posting - then you only move around if you want to via a bidding system.

Rosters are a 2 on 1 off concept regardless of whether you work at the centres or towers. Normal is 4 2 or 6 3 or 5 2 then 5 3 type roster flow. Again - each sector or tower has their own localised roster.

Oceanic is based in Auckland and other than that the entire domestic radar both area and approach is based in Christchurch.

From what I have seen / read / heard, their are definately worse employers / conditions around than what Airways gives.

Does that cover what you wanted? otherwise just ask away.

CA