PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL/IR - How long to complete

invertedspin10
7th Mar 2007, 10:54
Hi,
I am currently a PPL SEP holder with around 500hrs. I am considering doing an FAA CPL/IR and was wondering how long I should allow for it. I have a full time job so ideally would like to do some sort of distance learning for the groundschool and take some time off work/holiday to complete the CPL. Can anyone give first hand advice as to how long I should allow assuming i do a full time course.

Thanks

englishal
7th Mar 2007, 14:19
The learning is not a problem. Just buy the Jepp Insturment Commercial Manual and learn it from front to back. If you are going to do the ME, then buy a good ME book ("The Complete Multi Engine Pilot"). Just do it in your spare time over a couple of weeks before you go to the USA.

The hardest bit is the IR....Do you have any instrument time? If not then I suspect it will take at least 3-4 weeks of flying. The exam is easy if you have read the Jepp IC man from cover to cover a couple of times. ASA also do some good IR books.

The CPL is a VFR test as you will already have the IR. Ball park figure, with your experience - 1-2 weeks for the SE depending on your stick and rudder skills and possibly another 1-2 weeks for the ME.

However, it may be possible to combine some of this training and do some of the CPL / IR / ME stuff in parallel knocking these times down.

Best contact a proper training provider. I'd recommend contacting Angel City Flyers as they are really good at figuring out the most cost / time effective route to achieve your goals.....(I'm in no way connected with them by the way, I have done my CPL and IR with them though).