PDA

View Full Version : Low time Pilot job in Canada

kyler
7th Mar 2007, 02:39
i have multi/ifr commercial licence 200 hours. how can i find a non-instruction job. im from PEI but in Calgary now.

(willing to go anywhere)

spencer101
7th Mar 2007, 19:00
Go north :}

kyler
8th Mar 2007, 04:35
what provence (s) are the bet to start at?

turbofan99
8th Mar 2007, 05:37
FYI PPRUNERS...

Not everyone from the east coast has bad spelling and grammer.

nolimitholdem
8th Mar 2007, 09:34
bad spelling and grammer
Nope, but some Torontonians have their difficulties...
(couldn't resist)
;)

ahramin
8th Mar 2007, 15:20
FYI ppruners, most Canadians cannot read, write, or speak English. It's not our fault as English teachers who can do any of the above are now an endangered species.

Turbofan99, best not to throw rocks when one lives in a glass house.

As for work kyler, as long as your resume is better written than your posts, you could try http://www.albertaskydivers.com/ to build some time. Not sure what they pay but it might be worthwhile.

http://www.avcanada.ca (http://www.avcanada.ca/) has a "free jobs ads" section. Many Alberta postings.

nolimitholdem
8th Mar 2007, 15:29
That could also have something to do with the fact that there are ever-more "hyphen-Canadians" (multi-cult :yuk: ) for whom English is a (distant) second language...

ahramin
8th Mar 2007, 15:39
I don't see how people immigrating to Canada could force those born here to do a poor job learning their own language. In fact i don't see how the colour of their skin could affect either their own or anyone else's ability to learn. I suspect most of these "multi-cult" people which you disparage know their own language better than most Canadians know English. And I am sure that most of them know English better than the vast majority of Canadians know French, our "(distant) second language".

nolimitholdem
8th Mar 2007, 15:54
Whoaaa easy there tiger...unless you're Aboriginal/First Nations/whatevertheterm-du-jour is, we're ALL immigrants from some point in time!! Not disparaging immigrants - positing a possible reason for less than Queen's English...relax...those high horses hurt when you fall...

I don't speak French, je comprend un petit peut, I wish I knew more - but I never had the opportunity to truly learn, nor will I apologize for that. Sorry, but growing up on the West Coast means the whims of Ottawa and la Belle Province (probably screwed that up too! lol) didn't mean a rat's rear end - other than a new language to try on the cereal box nothing much changed. Immersion became trendy and the kids still couldn't converse in French a year beyond graduation...use it or lose it... Besides Quebec ain't exactly the most bilingual place around...try putting up some English signs in Quebec City and see how far you get...Oh Canada...

I still say forced multi-culturalism is a cynical disaster. Funny thing, the ethnic groups with the strongest sense of identity tend to be the ones with the least government funding...weird, n'est pas?

It's all moot to me now, I'm overseas and will return only to retire and live off my offshore savings, safe from the rapacious Canuck taxman...

peace.

ahramin
8th Mar 2007, 16:03
Learning any overseas languages :)?

I never had any multi-cultural learnings forced upon me on the west coast, but maybe times are changing. My kid does seem to know a lot more about Nunavut than numbers, even in northern Alberta.

rotornut
9th Mar 2007, 00:05
most Canadians cannot read, write, or speak English.
You are right - click http://www.trailerparkboys.com/ then go to "credits"

rugmuncher
9th Mar 2007, 11:04
"A,,, LAAARRRGGGE,,, DOUBLE,,,,DOUBLE,,,,AAAAAND,,,,,A,,,,TOASTED,,,, SESAME,,,,BAyyyGELLLL,,,,WITH CREEEEAM,,,, CHEEESSSE,,, PLEEEASE"

How many times at the drive through Timmies do you have to repeat it before the Fully conversant non/english speaking ethnic worker gets your order right?

Slapshot
9th Mar 2007, 14:36
With the majority of teacher's in the lower Mainland of B.C. being thrust into the role as English as a Second Language Teacher's, I'm not surprised that the students that remain are left behind in other subjects....

ODGUY
9th Mar 2007, 18:42
Howbout you make your own coffee and bagle in the morning, and save yourself and us from useless posts?

ahramin
9th Mar 2007, 19:39
Well said ODGUY. If one is stupid enough to sit in line at Tim Horton's then one is not in a position to make fun of others.

Slapshot
10th Mar 2007, 00:58
Hey come on guys... "you've always got time for Tim Horton's!"

:ok:

hibypassratio
11th Mar 2007, 20:50
Kyler, unless you have a good connection or references for down douth, get to a remote are and get a job on the ramp for a company where you can work into a seat. Try places lake High Level, Slave Lake, AThabasca in ALTA, go to Yellowknife, Thunderbay, Thompson Manoitoba. Do some research on the companies in places like this, be prepared to pick up and go. Go to the pilot career centre site and research the people who operate in these places, especially the ones who have a mixed fleet type where you could get on working the ramp, go on to flying singles in VFR work and then into the right seat of something larger. If you don't want to instruct, it is the way to go.

Good luck.:ok:

Mogas
11th Mar 2007, 21:36
Hey Kyler

Find a regional airline, work the ramp for about 1 year, and hope they would put you right seat on something after. That's how I did it. Now my first job is flying a BAe31 and 32.

Effee
30th Mar 2007, 12:28
Whats the job situation for foreign nationals? Will these small time carriers employ a foreign person with the valid credentials / but with low time like the OP?

altiplano
30th Mar 2007, 19:11
You will not get hired to work in canada unless you have the right to work here.

You will not get sponsored etc. You need to have citizenship, landed immigrant status or a visa.

Chuck Ellsworth
1st Apr 2007, 01:16
I think I have a fair understanding of the English language, but I do sometimes have difficulty with word association....

...such as Pilot....Work...:E

Hairdo
17th Apr 2007, 01:43
Couldn't possibly have put it better Chuck
:ok::ok:

Hairdo