PDA

View Full Version : NZ Regional Recruiting

sum1
6th Mar 2007, 06:49
Does anyone have the latest on recruitment in the NZ regionals? Vincent, Eagle, Nelson etc...
Seems to have been quiet lately in that department

flyby_kiwi
7th Mar 2007, 00:25
Not sure about vincent but think youll find Mt Cook are about the only ones hiring at the moment. Eagle have a few guys off an earlier ground course waiting to start although it looks like the numbers are looking healthier than expected so those guys/girls may have a small wait. Think youll find Nelson overstocked with the fleet replacement well underway so wouldnt expect much to happen there for the foreseeable future.
Short of it is that apart from a few going to Cook, there is not a large exodus of anyone to anywhere.

horserun
7th Mar 2007, 06:49
Sum1
As flyby_kiwi says there is not much happening on the regional scene at the moment. Cathay will probably be out here later in the year, and they will take a few guys out of the system.

There must be about 30 on air nz yes letters. But hear they have been told not to expext a start until end of 08 at the earliest.

All the best!!!

Cloud Cutter
7th Mar 2007, 20:26
Apparently Vincent have canceled sectors due to lack of crew. I think they would be a good bet at the moment. Eagle should tick along quietly this year, and Air Nelson will need more on the Dash I'd imagine as the fleet grows and all the Saab pilots are taken up. Their end fleet size is much larger than before fleet replacement.

Good luck.

AerocatS2A
7th Mar 2007, 23:07
Is Mt Cook still flying ATRs? Do they have any unusual requirements such as 50 hrs recent NZ time?

Uncle Chop Chop
8th Mar 2007, 01:04
Air National in Auckland are running a J32 ground course in the next couple of weeks. Usual requirements around 1500TT 200-odd multi. They've got 5 32s and seem pretty busy.

pakeha-boy
8th Mar 2007, 03:33
YEAH MON!!!t......that 50 hrs recent "kiwi" time will no doubt sort out the men from the sheepshaggers....Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz..sus...I reckon the blokes that made that rule...were still in their dads bags when I was flying around kiwi and social credit were still a political party.....and crew cuts were invented yesterday.... :ugh:

kmagyoyo
8th Mar 2007, 04:16
Social Credit....classic!
Mt Cook is slowing down somewhat at the moment. Maybe another course or two in the future but all the new toys are going to Air Nelson so baring retirements and a few odds and sods leaving best be in quick. The bean counters argue that now we are getting a sim we need less Pilots (now thats a long story).

Oh and yes NM still has ATR's for at least another 2 years. To be replaced by ????? (something with props and more seats probably)

sir.pratt
8th Mar 2007, 04:38
something like Q400's?

kmagyoyo
8th Mar 2007, 04:43
Aren't the good folk at Nelson having that particular carrot dangled infront of their noses???

horserun
8th Mar 2007, 05:00
Here's a good one for ya!
Just been told today that Air NZ will take on some SO's very soon. An announcement due end of this month.

Looks like there will be a bit of movement after all :ok:

OhForSure
8th Mar 2007, 05:31
Could any of you guys elaborate further on requirements for the NZ regionals?

I know its not hard to look up the stated "minimum requirements", but I was wondering what sort of credentials your typical entrant possesses at these airlines. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

flyby_kiwi
8th Mar 2007, 06:57
Eagle an I presume National: seems to be about 200multi with >1000tt
Air Nelson: similar but more like 4/500 in the multi box and >1200tt
Mt Cook: Turbine time ie lots of ex eag/nat drivers.

haughtney1
8th Mar 2007, 09:02
Social credit PB? hmmm what was the leaders name? I seem to remember Bruce Beetham:}
Is that 50hr requirement still floating around?

RevMan2
8th Mar 2007, 12:34
Vernon Cracknell was a name that I recall

kmagyoyo
8th Mar 2007, 20:59
Big fan of McGillicuddy Serious myself....

pakeha-boy
8th Mar 2007, 21:38
Men...........the names are all correct....stumbled out of the Porirua Rugby clubrooms....and voted SoCIAL cREDIT:{ ...1ST time voter.:uhoh: .....take me to jail and horsewhip me:ugh: ......actually thought they were telling the truth........hoping they would credit me 50 hrs of current kiwi time....they did ?!!!! 2months later @ the "Rimutuka Resort"......PB

sort of explains why my background checks make it hard for me to get a flying job:}

Gravox
8th Mar 2007, 21:59
The 50 hr IF requirement isn't set in stone. I was employed by Air Nelson without it, along with a couple of other guys. I think the use it as a way to weed people out. If you are keen and meet the requirements keep hounding them. You may need to come over to show that you are keen.

Mt Cook apparently use to like South Islanders, is this still the case? When I was applying from Aussie I didn't get any acknowledgement from them.

pakeha-boy
8th Mar 2007, 22:07
Grav ...worked for chook in the late 70,s.....I told them Porirua was just north of Takaka........as Porirua is south of the northern tip of the South Island....makes it in south island territory I reckon...you must be right..

horserun
9th Mar 2007, 05:28
I Love your styles Pakeha-boy!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok::ok:

Bongo Bus Driver
10th Mar 2007, 03:18
Whats the best way to apply to Mt Cook? Do they still use Staff CV?

ZFT
10th Mar 2007, 10:01
Oh and yes NM still has ATR's for at least another 2 years. To be replaced by ????? (something with props and more seats probably)

I doubt they will be replaced as MCA(NZ) have just invested US$xM in a ATR FFT for installation in Christchurch in Sept 07. would seem to indicate a commitment to ATRs for some time.

Cloud Cutter
11th Mar 2007, 22:19
Just been told today that Air NZ will take on some SO's very soon. An announcement due end of this month.

Air NZ have been in consultation with the chaps from PARC aviation in the UK to find possible contracts for their excess 76 drivers. If they can get enough takers to bring the numbers in line with the current fleet, they will have a better case for external appointments of the S/Os they're currently short on. That could mean that some (probably not all) of those waiting for starts will be in luck. Probably no more interviews yet though, and the time frame for recruitment should still be the same in the longer term as pilots are received back from unpaid leave (unless they find some greener grass elsewhere).

kmagyoyo
12th Mar 2007, 06:36
I doubt they will be replaced as MCA(NZ) have just invested US$xM in a ATR FFT for installation in Christchurch in Sept 07. would seem to indicate a commitment to ATRs for some time.

Well between 100+ Pilots not simming in Bangkok twice a year and the potential revenue gained from other ATR operators using NM as a training provider, those bucks will probably be recouped quickly.

The 1st ATR leases run out in two years... while more ATR's would definitely be an option for the bean counters as they make heaps of $$$ (monopoly aspects aside) they are;

A. Just plain scary in icing conditions when its ISA +10 and your at MCT, red bug and descending in mountain wave ie we need something that actually climbs when MTOW, and,

B. According to the big wigs don't have enough seats (caveat I'm only a line driver and not a hall stalker at HQ)

Back to the subject; The recruitment team at NM is two people at the moment so wading through the Pilotstaff website applications is, apparently, a mare. If you know someone at Cook get them to put in a good word and pass your CV on direct. (or you could PM me and I can fwd you the appropriate email address...). They do hire North Islanders by the way :ok:

1279shp
12th Mar 2007, 08:55
Hmmm, might the suggestion of say around, 90 seats be enough?

Like the capacity of an ERJ like the 175 (78-88pax)?

Or maybe the ERJ-190 (98-114pax)?

Adding them into the fleet on top of the ATR's, would be a nice way to add capacity on certain routes, and jets. Maybe even help say goodbye to the 733's?

But then the Q400 - which was/is available as part of the Q300 deal - is soon to be available in an 'X' variant with seating for up to 90. Quotes are it will, "fill a void in the 80-100 seat market".

On the 'Q's', anyone noticed they're not that Q? Especially on approach/on the ramp?:confused:

anakid
12th Mar 2007, 21:46
[On the 'Q's', anyone noticed they're not that Q? Especially on approach/on the ramp?]

That's probably because the "Q" means inside the aircraft, not outside.

anakid :uhoh:

ZFT
13th Mar 2007, 03:03
kmagyoyo
Well between 100+ Pilots not simming in Bangkok twice a year and the potential revenue gained from other ATR operators using NM as a training provider, those bucks will probably be recouped quickly.

As the FTT is only internationally accredited as an FNPTII or an FTD I am not at all sure that there will be as many savings as envisaged or that much potential revenue from 3rd party training.
I understand that like the French DGAC the NZCAA are going to approve the FTT for some training but the whole issue of going against international standards whether JAA, FAA or ICAO is fraught with problems.
Downstream, until this type of device is regulated and accredited, any incident that reflects upon training is going to give the legal profession a field day.

Cloud Cutter
13th Mar 2007, 03:44
I've done a lot of paxing in both recently, and the Q300 (while a very nice aircraft) is not as quiet as the ATR72-500 (from what I can tell anyway). You just can't beat those six bladed props.

Perhaps the noise on the ramp is all that interior sound being hurled overboard ;) (although I do think the reference was from inside the aircraft on approach and the ramp, which is outside the scope of the noise reduction system if I'm not mistaken).

1279shp
16th Mar 2007, 08:50
From the outside I meant. They're are just plain loud from approach right thru taxi and parking. And they're slower on the approach so noise hangs round a tad longer too!

Impressive on departure though - props back to 900rpm isn't it????

Though our 1550rpm thru 400' doesn't make us much louder! :cool:

pakeha-boy
16th Mar 2007, 16:23
Kmagyoyo.....so your telling me....that my ......

Lincoln College,.."Groveller of the year "Award....wont get me in the interview seat???.....things have changed for sure.:yuk:

On a more serious note....have e-mailed CV,S and called(telephono) and have always recieved polite responses from the staff.......get the ol "keep updating every 6 mths" from them...but they are always professional and courtious...they look at my previous employment record(major poop-stirrer)....and ....ENOUGH SAID!!!......had a lovely holiday by the way...PB