PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Denver, CO

smith
5th Mar 2007, 06:48
Anyone got any experience with flying from Denver, CO's Centennial Airport in March/April. My friend and I had some BA miles to use up and have booked to do about 50hrs out of flights-inc.

Great rates for their aircraft, but we kinda booked it in a rush as had to use the airmiles by a certain date.

After booking I now have worries about the wx, density altitude, mountain flying etc. I don't think the c172's have the performance to get over the Rockies, so options to go west are limited.

Any comments, tips, reccomendations appreciated for flying in this area.
Thanks

Flying Lawyer
5th Mar 2007, 07:26
I now have worries about the wx, density altitude, mountain flying etc. I don't think the c172's have the performance to get over the Rockies, so options to go west are limited.

Don't dismiss the idea of flying west - you'd miss some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.

A C172 (2 POB) has sufficient performance to fly through the Rockies, although performance is significantly reduced. Climbing is a slow process!

I flew around Aspen, and included a flight to Eagle/Vail airport. I think it would be a relatively straightforward flight from Denver.

I assume you'd need a mountain flying check-out before being allowed to SFH through the Rockies but, even if you don't do that, I strongly recommend a flight with an Instructor.
FI rates in America tend to be cheaper than at most schools here and are usually very reasonable.

To be so close and not see the Rockies from the air would be a great shame. The scenery really is breathtaking.

Near Aspen
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Aspen_MaroonBells-1.jpg

FL

djtaylor
6th Mar 2007, 01:45
You could check ParkWest they run tours out of Grand Junction about 4 hours west of Denver by road. We had a great tour with them in 2001 which included avisit to Leadville in a C172 elevation there is 9927 feet. It was along take off roll but we happily cleared the nearby 13000 ft ridge.

Bluebeard777
6th Mar 2007, 22:20
Centennial is a fine GA airport, quite busy with small jets. As for flying a C172 in the Rockies, you really should get a 180 hp version if you can. Going directly west from Centennial will involve crossing the ridge above Denver at more than 11,000 ft.

smith
7th Mar 2007, 13:22
Great Pic Lawyer