PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Fuel Operation

SKYTORT
4th Mar 2007, 10:19
I hope I can pose this question correct.

What is the correct terminology to use when trying to notify ATC that one has a rather low fuel state, and is requesting priority handling.

I know that there is the obvious declaring on an emergency, but more than often, if one is operating low on fuel, this first phase you would go through is being low on fuel before you reach the fuel emergency state. I hope this all makes sense.

The question is, how do you get priority handling (basically telling ATC "Listen, we need to land pretty much now, or we will be in :mad: later").

Thanks! :ok:

Downwind.Maddl-Land
4th Mar 2007, 10:34
There's been lots of discussion on this topic; if there's doubt - there's no doubt:

"Pan, Pan, Pan" (or Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan) if low on fuel and

"Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" if very low on fuel!:E

Nothing else will grab an ATCO's attention better.
And don't get suckered into the FAA's 'fuel emegency' side street either.

NudgingSteel
4th Mar 2007, 10:42
Officially, in the UK, there's no way other than to declare an emergency due low fuel. This obviously sounds dramatic, even if you've still got 45 minutes-worth or more on board for alternates etc. However, you'll be guaranteed absolute priority for an arrival.
In practise, if an aircraft has mentioned that they are getting towards limits and, for example, a go-around would result in an immediate diversion to their alternate, we'd do our best not to d*ck them around too much. For example, the tower controller might feel that the gap ahead of the subject aircraft would be better left as a gap and not try to fire a tight departure off ahead, with the increased risk of a go-around. If you're being vectored and you're neck-and-neck with one or more others, you might well be made number 1.
Note the word "might", as every other aircraft is also probably running towards arrival minimums and it's not fair to delay several others unless you really are getting critically low...

SID East
4th Mar 2007, 11:47
The UK Military recognizes the term "fuel priority" as an indication that fuel state is getting somewhat critical. I'm not 100% sure if this is officially reserved exclusively for training aircraft (as was once suggested to me) but I have certainly heard operational types declare this before. Not all of them were fast jets!
It acts as a sort of sub-emergency and offers the aircraft due priority to stop the pilot having to divert. It can of course be upgraded to a PAN at any time. Due to the very limited fuel reserve of high performance military aircraft (normally fast jets) it can be a common occurrence so I guess this was introduced to reduce the number of PAN calls and keep these for more serious emergencies (which are also quite common).
All UK Military controllers would recognize this term, and how to handle it from ATC training if nothing else.
Not sure this would help you overseas in North America. As has been mentioned PAN is probably your best bet. Do any other national militaries use the "fuel priority" term?
SID :ok:

Jagohu
4th Mar 2007, 13:24
In the Maastricht airspace we have this: (the bold part can be found in the ICAO D4444 as well)

"The term "MINIMUM FUEL" is used to describe a situation in which an aircraft's fuel supply has reached a state where little or no delay can be accepted. This fuel state still allows the aircraft to land with the prescribed minimum amount of fuel.
Should any undue delay occur, Controllers must be aware the pilot might declare an emergency situation requiring priority handling to its intended destination? OAT traffic uses in this situation normally the term "BINGO FUEL".

"The term "LOW ON FUEL" is used to indicate that the fuel supply is exhausted to such extent that it has become unlikely that the aircraft can land with the prescribed minimum amount of fuel. Controllers shall verify if the pilot is declaring an emergency situation and act accordingly."

Jerricho
4th Mar 2007, 14:23
The MINIMUM FUEL is certainly recognised in Canada as well. It's not declaring an emergency, but should any delay occur then it certainly could develop into one.

Ppdude
4th Mar 2007, 14:32
mentioning low fuel means nothing......mentioning pan or maday means everything

Jerricho
4th Mar 2007, 14:36
....in the UK.

boredcounter
4th Mar 2007, 22:56
In the UK (as I am based as a humble Ops chap) this should not be an issue.

Minimum reserves should be the total of 30 mins hold @ holding speed @ destination or alternate @ 1500' + div to alternate airfield, including a go-around from MDA/MDH.

What the intercontinental's do' who can guess............................

wileydog3
5th Mar 2007, 00:29
From the AIM in the US...

a. Pilot.

1. Advise ATC of your minimum fuel status when your fuel supply has reached a state where, upon reaching destination, you cannot accept any undue delay.

2. Be aware this is not an emergency situation, but merely an advisory that indicates an emergency situation is possible should any undue delay occur.

3. On initial contact the term "minimum fuel" should be used after stating call sign.

EXAMPLE-
Salt Lake Approach, United 621, "minimum fuel."

4. Be aware a minimum fuel advisory does not imply a need for traffic priority.

5. If the remaining usable fuel supply suggests the need for traffic priority to ensure a safe landing, you should declare an emergency due to low fuel and report fuel remaining in minutes.

REFERENCE-
Pilot/Controller Glossary Item- Fuel Remaining.

b. Controller.

1. When an aircraft declares a state of minimum fuel, relay this information to the facility to whom control jurisdiction is transferred.

2. Be alert for any occurrence which might delay the aircraft.

this means when your fuel state indicates you will land with less than planned min fuel, you advise ATC. It does not mean special handling or an emergency but does mean you can't take a lot of delays or holding. It also does not mean you have to divert.

Scott Voigt
5th Mar 2007, 04:11
As posted, in the US min fuel just tells us that if we have to put him/her into a hold we can expect them to go to thier alternate... We give NO priority for min fuel or low fuel. The ONLY thing that gets priority is emergency fuel...

regards

Scott

NZ06AR
5th Mar 2007, 07:52
In New Zealand ..... it all come down to requesting prioirty landing or pan pan pan or maday ect....

topdrop
5th Mar 2007, 10:49
Same in Oz, you want/need priority, you declare an emergency.

Fox3snapshot
5th Mar 2007, 13:20
UAE FIR must be prefixed with PAN or MAYDAY, Minimum fuel states will not be acknowledged in any other form. An AIRAC was released recently to enforce it as some 'questionable' fuel management practices were being employed by operators in the region, exacerbated by the 'works (shambles) in progress' in Dubai of course.....

:8

boredcounter
8th Mar 2007, 01:31
You would have company permission to do that?

Bored

Giles Wembley-Hogg
8th Mar 2007, 08:47
The reply by Deliverance is correct for civil ops as well (boredcounter - we don't need permission from the company, it's all down to us!).

I read the US "minimum fuel advisory" different to Scott. If ATC have to put us in the hold or we are already in the hold, then any further undue delay means that we will declare an emergency, not that we will divert.

G W-H