PDA

View Full Version : SFI and TRI differences

Jay_solo
4th Mar 2007, 09:16
Hi,

What is the difference between a Synthetic Flight Instructor (SFI) and a Type Rating instructor (TRI)? And How do you become either one of them? Can you freelance with them?

:ok:

BEagle
4th Mar 2007, 10:15
See LASORS H4 and H5.

Capt_Zia
22nd Mar 2007, 07:48
Hi Guy to be a SFI u need to be a Check Pilot on that type for some time then promoted for being TRI but before being a TRI one has to be SFI for some time teach pilot on sim then once he is found fit then he is promoted to TRI.... then later TRE when gain in Exp...

BillieBob
22nd Mar 2007, 21:00
That may be the case in India but not in the JAA. The only significant difference between an SFI and TRI is that the former can instruct only on a synthetic training device whilst the latter may also instruct on an aircraft.

JAR-FCL 1.405 - The privileges of the holder of a SFI(A) authorisation are to carry out synthetic flight instruction for type ratings, and the instruction required for multi-crew co-operation (see JAR–FCL 1.261(d)). (It later becomes clear that this is, in fact, limited to MPA type ratings)

JAR-FCL 1.360 - The privileges of the holder of a TRI(MPA) rating are to instruct licence holders for the issue of a MPA type rating, and the instruction required for multi-crew co-operation (see JAR–FCL 1.261(d), Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.261(d) and AMC FCL 1.261(d)).

Details of the requirements are contained in JAR-FCL 1.410 and 1.365 respectively and, although the authorisation must be 'sponsored' by one TRTO, there is normally no problem with freelancing for others. I was a TRI and TRE up until the time I lost my medical and have since been an SFI and SFE. I now freelance for a number of TRTOs, doing as much or as little work as and when I wish.

LANE13
28th Sep 2010, 11:15
Sorry but this is not true!
To be TRE and SFE as well, you should be with valid: ATPL,valid type rating and clas 1 medical (active pilot) This is according CAA regulations!:ok:

I have similar problem. According to JAR FCL 1.455 to work as SFE I should have valid type rating on the applicable aeroplane type. What is than diference betwen TRE and SFE? I wiil thank to any serious explanation.

screwdriver
12th Oct 2010, 06:42
A TRE must have held 500 hours of PIC of an MPA and hold or have held a TRI rating. As an aside an SFE must hold an ATPL which includes a valid medical .

Skipping Classes
11th Jan 2011, 15:50
Question: can an F/O be a TRI?

Many TRTOs say on the websites - no.

According to JAR/FCL - in my opinion - yes.

What is the answer?

CaptainProp
12th Jan 2011, 14:53
With unrestricted rating - Yes. Some countries still have "FO only" restrictions and I am not sure where that would put you.

CP

GUNA_MANI
25th Nov 2013, 06:36
Can a SFI train and evaluate another SFI?
Is it documented in so many words in any JAR/FAR?

nick14
25th Nov 2013, 07:13
A TRI can but SFI currently cannot however I believe that the rule making groups are in the process of changing that.

Medicals are not required and neither is a licence to become a SFI/SFE.

FOs can become both SFI/TRI.the requirements are in subpart J of annex I to the aircrew regulation. The advantage over JAR is that you no longer need a sponsoring ATO. Anyone can apply to be an instructor/examiner with the right experience.

Droste
10th Mar 2021, 15:27
As a Synthetic Flight Instructor (SFI), can the hours be logged?

Whopity
10th Mar 2021, 16:08
You can log anything you want but they are not flying hours so they will never be more than a log of Sim Instructional time that has very little use other than to claim your pay.