PDA

View Full Version : PPL Medical

HZ123
2nd Mar 2007, 11:08
I have to pay for the lads medical which is from £160 with the GP. I was recently told that Stapleford do on for £110. Cannot find anything on the web, can anyone confirm this as if it is the case it is worth the trip. thanks

Choxolate
2nd Mar 2007, 11:42
Which medical? ClassI , Class II or NPPL?

Can only get Class I & Class II done by a CAA registered Medical Examiner - my ClassII costs about £150 p.a. because I am over 50 and have to have a full ECG and examination every year.

If you are being quoted £160 for an NPPL medical examination (in effect same as for HGVII) then you are being mightily ripped off - more like £40-£50.

Cumulogranite
2nd Mar 2007, 11:50
If it's an initial then there is a full ECG for that one, and then at regular intervals after that (Age 40 I think)

I think the prices being quoted are due to the fact that the time periods between examinations have just been increased, so I used to go to my AME every two years, now it is 5. On that basis I beleive that the prices are going up to reflect the fact that the AME doesn't see you as often and so needs to be more thorough when he does. (Or is it to make more money from you to cover the visits you don't make? Can't remember)

Of course, it could just be another rip off, but that is the world of general aviation, what costs £100 for a nomal application costs £150 as soon as you mention aircraft, and for no real reason (see prices for hand held GPS units, car vs plane) That is the fact, sad as it is, if you want your lad to progress in light aviation you will need to get used to it I'm, afraid!

east_sider
2nd Mar 2007, 18:50
My Class 2 initial at Stapleford was done by Aviation Medical Sept 06, cost £170. Included ECG (I am 31).

IRISHPILOT
2nd Mar 2007, 19:40
If you are looking for a cheap option, may I suggest a nice little trip to Prague? the class ONE initial costs GBP80 and renewal 35 (I did mine in January). Sorry, I don't know the class 2 prices, but surely they cannot be more... It is all JAR and you need no appointment, 20 min by bus from the airport, and if you stay for the weekend, then there are Cessnas for 75 quid available...
All in english and if you really do need the UK JAA medical (for licence issue for example), swap it for 20 pounds.
All info here and on google.
cheers, IP