PDA

View Full Version : NATS one of best 20 companies to work for in UK

BDiONU
2nd Mar 2007, 07:41
Last night the Sunday Times announced that NATS is officially one of the UK’s top 20 places to work.

NATS achieved the ranking of 20th in the category of large companies in the 2007 Best Companies To Work For research. More than 300 companies entered the survey. Other names that made it into the top 20 included Goldman Sachs, Nationwide, American Express and 02.

The Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For supplement will be published with the newspaper on 11 March and will contain a profile on NATS as well as other companies who achieved strong standings in this research.

Apply for a career with NATS here (http://natscareers.co.uk/indexfs.asp?id=200732) ;)

BD

Standard Noise
2nd Mar 2007, 07:53
Whoa! I gotta get me a job with that fine organisation, sounds like they're great. Who did I sign up to then?:confused: :ugh:

chevvron
2nd Mar 2007, 09:34
Yes but whereabouts are we in the Top 20, 20th?

MancBoy
2nd Mar 2007, 09:39
If you read bd's post it says nats achieved the ranking of 20th

Del Prado
2nd Mar 2007, 10:32
I know a lot of people that wanted to share their opinion on working for NATS but they didn't recieve their survey untill the closing date for entries.

I wonder if that would have made a difference.

MNT
2nd Mar 2007, 12:40
20th is better than not being anywhere in the top 100. I know that there are some things that could be better but perhaps now the detractors will admit there are much worse places to work but then again some people have to have something to moan about:)

Thehitman
2nd Mar 2007, 12:57
Why is it that some people are never satisfied? If NATS is not a good company to work for then get a job with a company that is good to work for.

IMOH 2oth in the UK is bl***y good. Stop Bi***ing and start appreciating what a lot of people would die for.

If you think NATS is not a good company to work for then get a job in the real world and see how you get on

Standard Noise
2nd Mar 2007, 13:52
That's what I was doing, spent 10 happy years in the real world at Cov, Belfast City and Briss. Then NATS rode over the horizon and gobbled us up.:{
I was here first and I ain't moving! So there!:p

INCA9
2nd Mar 2007, 14:06
What amuses me about all this is that i haven't spoken to one employee who filled in the survey (or would've if given the chance) who was complementary about our noble leader.

Supposedly the company did very well in the ratings for how the employees rate their colleagues...no surprises there then. But there's a conspicuous silence when it comes to how they view the senior management.

BUT, still Mr Baron gets to attend a glittering bash, enjoy fine wine, probably stay 5 star, smile and profess just how proud he is to be head of such a sterling operation............ bless him!!!

BDiONU
2nd Mar 2007, 15:13
What amuses me about all this is that i haven't spoken to one employee who filled in the survey (or would've if given the chance) who was complementary about our noble leader.
Supposedly the company did very well in the ratings for how the employees rate their colleagues...no surprises there then. But there's a conspicuous silence when it comes to how they view the senior management.
Yes what seemed to come across strongly was that 'The team' element was very strong and that appeared to push up the ratings. As for senior management, it'll be interesting to see whats written when the results are published. My department had a new senior manager 4 months ago and almost no one would know who he was if they passed him in the corridor. Management at arms length :=

BD

Gonzo
2nd Mar 2007, 17:17
It will also be interesting to see the results from operational and non-op areas of the company.

Bright-Ling
2nd Mar 2007, 17:36
Do you really think we will see the results??

Gonzo
2nd Mar 2007, 17:47
Apart from what the Times publish? No, of course not. That fact doesn't stop it being being interesting though.

radarman
2nd Mar 2007, 20:06
Sunday Times survey!!??:hmm: Same as any other survey - depends who is running it, what they are trying to prove, what questions are asked, how the answers are analysed, and a whole host of other factors that can skew the results one way or the other. You could get a couple of newspapers to run a survey on 'Britain's best car'. It's quite possible one would put Ford at the top, the other would have it at the bottom of the list. Regular PPRuNeRS should know not to believe everything they read in the Press :suspect:

Gonzo
2nd Mar 2007, 20:17
INCA9,

As you say, the form I returned was very complimentary towards my colleagues. Not at all towards management.

ATSA_Grunt
3rd Mar 2007, 00:31
Heres my thought...... We are now in the top 20 (!), now if Mr. Barron can just get the pension sorted we would be quite an attractive proposition for a would be buyer. Your thoughts please cause I reckon we are heading for a sell off.....

supersicroly
3rd Mar 2007, 09:25
Iv'e been with NATS for just over thirty years now and have always found it a good company to work for - in spite of some of the goons we have had in charge, present company very much included.

A small point perhaps, but, being of the old school, I find it offensive that Mr B can't even be bothered to wear a suit and tie when he tours his empire.

Having worked for a couple of other companies pre NATS I think we probably deserve our place in the poll.

ATSA_Grunt
4th Mar 2007, 00:08
I don't tend to judge a person by what they wear. Lets face it, if you wear a tie does that make you a better controller??? Question is since Barron took charge is the company better or worse? I think better... (prepare to get shot down for saying that!!)

250 kts
4th Mar 2007, 01:13
As an operational ATCO I wish i had been selected to take part in the survey-just to see if there was a question about our pension scheme and what I thought about the disgraceful attempt to close it to new employees. I guess it isn't in Management's interest to ensure that remains in the the Top 20.:ugh: :ugh: :mad: :mad:

supersicroly
4th Mar 2007, 09:56
I don't tend to judge a person by what they wear. Lets face it, if you wear a tie does that make you a better controller???

As I said, a small point but I have been amazed by the number of people who have remarked on this, usually along the lines of "who does he think he is.. Richard Branson!!"

The message to him at our local meeting was that he is on very dangerous ground mucking about with the pension scheme. It is the one issue on which all staff would probable agree to take strike action if necessary although I expect a dose of divide and rule will see him through ie. one scheme for controllers and a worse one for everyone else.

I know it was pre Baron but I think one of the worst things NATS have done was to divide into NERL and NSL. The suspicion ,of course, is that it was done in preparation for privatising NSL.

MNT
4th Mar 2007, 16:43
I don't think the split into NSL and NERL was the worst thing NATS has ever done as this was effectively forced on NATS by PPP as the company has to demonstrate that NSL is no way funded or subsidised by NERL. The worst thing that has happened is the separate negoitaions for the controllers and the rest, the whole bargaining power of the union is undermined IMHO.

supersicroly
4th Mar 2007, 22:37
I did say ONE of the worst things. I could think of a few more which would include the negotiating split you mention.

Thehitman
5th Mar 2007, 13:19
As far as the company is concerned, splitting the pay negotiations was a very clever move. Not so clever for the employees

Me Me Me Me
6th Mar 2007, 14:04
Indeed... which is why it's a good move that the TU are returning to single table negotiations. :)

Dances with Boffins
7th Mar 2007, 10:58
We were 20th - but out of the "Large" companies only. How many companies within the "large" category I wonder...?:rolleyes:

19 CVs in the post already.:ok:

11K-AVML
10th Mar 2007, 13:45
It will also be interesting to see the results from operational and non-op areas of the company.
It's interesting to look over the TalkBack survey results that came out on Friday - particularly results for question 16 from NERL/NSL compared with Corporate!

anotherthing
10th Mar 2007, 15:20
Not just question 16, but all of the questions. If you compare Corporate ratings to others, a higher percentage of our corporate colleagues are satisfied in all areas covered by the questionnaire.

A different mindset between different groups of workers in the company perhaps?

IIRC the question that got the highest number of 'dissatisfaction votes' amongst all of the groups was the one about communication across the company.... surely this is one that should have amongst the highest overall score -

poor communications in this respect is indicative of poor management, poor company structure, poor prioritisation etc etc ... something that surely should worry the senior managers, rather than have them pat each other on the backs because we came 20th??

Not Long Now
10th Mar 2007, 16:20
As far as communication goes, between you me and the people at work I talk to..
Everyone says communication is important, but I think this particular pudding may have been a little over egged. Let me postulate..
Whenever (which wasn't often) anyone asked about intra company communication, people said it was rubbish, but this was not a generalised comment. It related, as far as ATCOs/ATSAs were concerned, to the fact that the (virtually) only thing anyone cared about and wanted to know was exactly when would we be relocating. This was understandably a touchy subject for the company, being such a slippery date. So all the surveys said "what do you want?", answer "to be given a firm date for the move." which to those conducting the survey equated to "better communication". So now we are awash with letters, bulletins, news sheets and the like, telling us which particular department has been renamed this week etc, when all we really wanted was someone to stick their head over the parapet and say "We're moving on such and such a date. The end"
Just the feeling I get. Or maybe it really is enlightening that we now have more people in offices telling us things we didn't know we didn't know and to be honest, probably didn't care.:ugh: :ugh:

ShuttleSixYankee
11th Mar 2007, 07:42
Just read it in the Sunday Times. Quite interesting. I think they used good criteria too. Things like, how staff rate the management, worthiness, teamwork environment, job satisfaction, how many see it as their dream job! etc...

Widger
12th Mar 2007, 16:14
Apparently, surveys were only sent out to those employees who could spell their General Manager's name properly.

I do agree that some of the moaners need to get out into the real world. I can understand the pension issues, yeah I would be up in arms too, but there are loads of other elements to working for NATS (hangovers from Civil Service days?) that are way and above what another employer would provide you.

By all means negotiate, but keep it in perspective!:ok:

Flybywyre
12th Mar 2007, 23:49
Widger.........
Very good post............. :ok:
Regards
FBW

NeillR
13th Mar 2007, 12:48
Nowadays it's the Union reps who wear ties in meetings!

Air.Farce.1
13th Mar 2007, 14:17
Great so NATS, is in the top 500, but not in the top 10 :}
:ugh:

niknak
13th Mar 2007, 14:54
NATS is still a good number compared to a lot of regional airports.
For those within NATS, how many of you would, or could cope wih a move to a move outwith your "cushioned" environment?

Very, very few, I would contend...

Gonzo
13th Mar 2007, 14:57
I could..........

Next?

niknak
13th Mar 2007, 15:50
OK Gonzo, lets take it one step further....

You leave NATS, as I get the impression, you are a big fish in the pond, but where ever you go, you will have to start as the small guy in a big environment.
You will be the lowest of the low, you are nothing until you validate and prove yourself - which will take several years, you will struggle to compete with local competition.

Never mind, off with yer, please let us know how you get on....:rolleyes: :ugh: :rolleyes:

Gonzo
13th Mar 2007, 16:05
Actually niknak, my reply was to illustrate just how superfluous your statement was. How on earth would you know that 'very, very few' of us could contend with a move to a less 'cushioned' environment?

But if you insist...

You will be the lowest of the low, you are nothing until you validate and prove yourself - which will take several years, you will struggle to compete with local competition.

Interesting. Why would I want to prove myself? And no, before you jump down my throat shouting 'Ah ha!!!, told you so'.....All I'd want to do is prove myself competent to hold a ULE, and be thought of as an 'ok' controller who people like to work with. If I feel that I have to keep proving myself even after, as you put it, 'several years', surely that says more about your unit than it does about me? I'm quite well aware that I'd be a trainee again. However, I pity your trainees if you think of them as 'nothing', the 'lowest of the low', or is that particular honour reserved for those trainees who used to work for NATS?

Personally, I and my colleagues do everything to make trainees feel part of the team, from day one on the unit.

as I get the impression, you are a big fish in the pond

Oh, sorry, I nearly wet myself. This just illustrates that you don't know me.

flower
13th Mar 2007, 16:45
It's quite insulting to suggest that NATS ATCOs would be unable to cope outside of the supposed cushioned environment that is NATS.

It may have some good points but you would expect these working conditions from any decent employer for highly qualified staff. I have worked outside of the company and received many of the said benefits plus more than we currently do.

It is good but not the best by a long shot, the one very redeeming feature it has is the pension, if that goes then it doesn't start to look anything like as pretty.

Chilli Monster
13th Mar 2007, 22:42
A very interesting article - however, one of the things that struck me

"ALL employess have the opportunity for flexitime and home working" (my italics)

So - how does that work?

AlanM
14th Mar 2007, 07:48
Funny, I thought NATS management have been trying to stop part timers etc.

Gives them something to write in the annual report I guess.

AdmlAckbar
14th Mar 2007, 21:25
...and apparently all employees have access to a gym...

Well yes, if I go down the road to the David Lloyds and pay lots of money each month, but I don't think that's what they meant?

eastern wiseguy
6th Mar 2009, 19:37
Wonder where we are now?

45 before POL
6th Mar 2009, 20:00
The wouldn't be daft enough to enter this year...based on top 20 takes into account terms and conditions, pension...pay ...:E:E:E

Minesapint
10th Mar 2009, 08:46
I so wish they would!! All part of the overall strategy - get a top 20 ranking and then put the hammer down. All ATCO's are 20% overpaid apparently, that says a lot for our chances of a pay rise then. :mad: I heard that there is now a work in progress to get valid no-ops back to the opsrooms too.

The Many Tentacles
10th Mar 2009, 09:15
We're not even in the top 100 this year - how the mighty have fallen :}

Minesapint
10th Mar 2009, 11:53
Sounds about right to me! :ok:

anotherthing
11th Mar 2009, 08:50
However, according to the Times article - linked on the intranet, we have a World Beating boss in PB.

It's amazing how facts can be presented in such a misleading way that it makes certain individuals sound good.

Mr Red
11th Mar 2009, 11:37
Anotherthing, what did you think of the line where when asked about not for profit the idiot answered "you sound like one of my controllers"?

Unless he owns the company we are def not HIS controllers!!

I have had the pleasure of meeting him twice outside of work and when introduced to him as one of his "workers" he didnt even have the decency to acknowledge me, prize @@@@hole

choclit runway
16th Mar 2009, 09:05
Quote; 'a World Beating boss in PB.'

World beating or top-sheet tapping?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of many... As a company you voted 'yes' to the pension plan. That was the one thing you all said you would not stand for. I think you can now expect the worse to come.:(

WhatMeanPullUp
16th Mar 2009, 20:43
NATS suck, the management have sold the troops down the river, what a surprise. I left NATS and my former colleagues tell me what a great move that was, the only ones who think it is a great company is the management or the brown nosers who desperately want to be part of management. Ask the Controllers, Assistants and the Engineers if it is a fantastic company and you will get a different answer. :ugh:

Minesapint
17th Mar 2009, 10:47
I am a T&S and - no it is not a good company to work for. I am far from being new to the 'organisation'; term used loosley of course. :suspect:

Minesapint
17th Mar 2009, 13:52
A lot of NATS people are ex RAF, maybe that is the key! When you are being selected NATS shows a professional face, niot Etap... Things had improved in NATS and it was a good company to work for, not anymore! But having said that its probably a couple of points up on dangerous places with lost of sand.

MaggiesFarmer
17th Mar 2009, 15:56
I'm with you there, mmmike, (well, I have yet to get an offer but I'd love one - still waiting for s2 results now)... coming from outside the industry it's easy to see how good it is in NATS (or at least to guess). Try working in the city where I am now if you think things are miserable there!

Ceannairceach
17th Mar 2009, 20:24
From the aforementioned Times article anyone would think PB was/is the saviour of NATS.

Our "owners" aren't happy, we the staff certainly aren't happy - who or what exactly has he saved us from and for who's benefit?

Oddly, I don't think the article (which was incidentally a genius piece of self-promotion and sure to see a certain person move on to an even cushier number post-NATS) clarified that.....though I did see the word profit mentioned.

11K-AVML
17th Mar 2009, 23:42
NATS has improved significantly over the last few years.
Recently it's hit a brick wall and it recoiling backwards

A lot of what is good about the company, as viewed from the outside, are the benefits, supposed career progression and the way the work is done (probably some good processes dare I say!). I'm afraid to say 1) I feel these tend to be skewed towards certain types of individual and areas of the organisation 2) they're diminishing 3) the morale has dropped and there appears to be more management interferrance at the moment which doesn't bode well for the long term 4) correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression some of the processes aren't being followed - people progress because those with power like them, not because they're the best to do their new roles - that may be a more locailsed issue though.

5) yes there is also rivlarly between Operations and Development/Admin but that's more fault of communications and is also skweed on this board.