PDA

View Full Version : MAN - PMI Routing

Cumulogranite
2nd Mar 2007, 07:29
More a quiery than a question, but I was in the back on BMI baby from Palma to MAN on Monday this week. This is normally a 2 1/2ish hour trip, but we seemed to take a funny route, routing towards Barcelona as norm (been doing this trip since I was 11 by the way) but rather than turning we just carried on a while and appeared to track the French coast all the way up. Not a problem except it took just over 3 hours to get home, not very nice sat on the hardboard that passes for a seat base on there these days (but that's another thread). Funny thing is, just been looking at MON for the same trip in a couple of weeks time, and the same sort of time is being quoted again. What's the reason for 3 hours in the air and this route? 3 hours on an airliner with a 5 year old is pushing the limits allowed by the Geneva Convention!!!!

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
2nd Mar 2007, 14:15
Strong winds elsewhere? (Been a week of long flight times flying north to the UK)

Air Traffic provided a different route due to a number of unusual factors?

bigdunc
2nd Mar 2007, 16:57
This is an alternate routing that is occasionally enforced upon flights from the Balearic Islands to NW Europe, i.e. the UK.

Due to ATC congestion over South Western France, rather than overflying (roughly!) Barcelona - Toulouse - Nantes - UK etc, the routing is Barcelona - Girona - Avignon - Paris - UK etc.

Hence the extra half hour. This route is also used more often as a 'weekend' ATC routing, again due to congestion.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Dunc :ok: