PDA

View Full Version : special vfr

yoshiman
2nd Mar 2007, 03:54
I have a question regarding special VFR. You have to remain clear of clouds, can you get a special vfr in any controlled airspace? If so from who, (say you are in class E). Also, if the ceiling is 500 feet, can you take off from an airport in class E? Just like to clarify this thanks.:rolleyes:

Swanie
2nd Mar 2007, 07:43
In Australia, correct me if i'm wrong) VFR flights don't require a clearance to operate in class E airspace. Therefore, class E isn't really CTA, and since a Special VFR clearance can only be given in CTA, my guess would be no you can't.

besides with cloud at 500ft, you'd be breaking low level flight restrictions

Tinstaafl
2nd Mar 2007, 10:48
To accurate, unles the rules have changed in Oz, the restriction is not below 500' AGL except during take-off, landing or stress of weather (my emphasis). Indeed the rule used to start "Except due stress of weather...". So you are not totally precluded from flying below 500'.

In other countries it can be quite legal to fly <500' under defined circumstances.

B2N2
2nd Mar 2007, 12:01
I assume you are asking about US regulations;
The link is here:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=eb37402be2e5cc341b8ba8b0d3c24ce2&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.2.5.34&idno=14

As usual some interpretation is required, therefore this is my interpretation.
You are only allowed to take off under special VFR if the airport is towered or a satellite airport to a Class D,C or Bravo airspace.

Most non towered airports have overlying class E that goes down to 700', on the VFR chart( sectional) marked as a magenta line like this one;

http://www.ultraflightradio.com/segmenthelpgraphics/ClassGE/Greenville.gif

Airports that have the lower (700') E above them have instrument approaches. The lower E is meant to protect the instrument approaches, similar to airspace extensions. Nobody is supposed to be flying in the traffic pattern or elsewhere VFR because in E the VFR minima are 3 mi 500' below 100' above and 200' away from cloud.

Departing with a 500' overcast would put you in class G airspace where no clearance is required and you are legally allowed to fly with 1 mile visibility and clear of clouds.
Remember that a lot of non precision approaches have 1 mile vis 500' as an approach minimum. For all intends and purposes that is IFR.

Special VFR is meant to depart an airport with marginal VFR conditions towards an area with better weather close by.
Or to land at towered airport when conditions are temporarily marginal VFR and you need some extra help.

yoshiman
2nd Mar 2007, 16:37
what if the airport is class E to the surface? Wouldnt we be in violation if the ceiling is 500 feet??

B2N2
2nd Mar 2007, 20:52
You are only allowed to take off under special VFR if the airport is towered or a satellite airport to a Class D,C or Bravo airspace.

That's from my previous post :hmm:

So if your airport is not towered or a satellite airport, even with E down to the ground, yes you would be in violation.

****** Disclaimer: This is based on my humble PERSONAL interpretation of 14 CFR 91.157 and does not constitute ground instruction nor does it
in any way, shape or form, hinted or implied constitute advise to act accordingly ***********

American litigation laws you know: " But I read it on an Internet forum, so it must be true" :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: