PDA

View Full Version : Etisalat, Skype, UAE telecom issues

Pages : [1] 2 3

in limbo
25th Jan 2006, 00:32
Just wondering if anyone uses either of these services while in the ME to call back home and do you have any comments or helpful info on them?

Coastrider26
25th Jan 2006, 05:06
The software works in the UAE but since Etisalat (Telecommunications) is owned by the governement they've banned the software downloads on the internet and you can not upgrade with local Credit cards as VOIP is not allowed with the Etisalat internet. But if you have a non local creditcard and you've the software installed on computer it works...

quarefellah
25th Jan 2006, 06:21
Hi All,
To clarify Coastrider's comments.... To my knowledge the way Etisalat has blocked Skype is by blocking access to any Skype Internet pages. If you have already downloaded the program then your only problem is putting credit on your account for SkypeOut. This can be done either by bypassing the proxy or from overseas when on a layover. There is no 'block' on UAE local credit cards being used for this purpose. Open to correction as always,
Fly safe
QF

Cyberbird
25th Jan 2006, 06:33
Well mate, that can be accomplished even in DXB w/o any probs ...

Take Your computer i.e. Laptop, equipped with a LAN-Card, take it with you
to the InterNet-City (close to DXB-Marina), look for the COLORS Cafe (IneterNet-Cafe) Close to the CNN building, order a Coffee, a bagel or two, whilst your laptop can download ANYTHING available in the net, 'cause there is a "free Connection" w/o any restrictions on the pages ...
just don't surf the redlight pages, whilst the secretaries flock in to order their coffee to go for their lunch break :) - easy like that !!!

in limbo
25th Jan 2006, 10:49
Are things the same in Bahrain with regards to the blocking of sites and the credit card issue?

AirNoServicesAustralia
25th Jan 2006, 11:03
I can confirm that there is no issue with locally issued credit cards, as I top up my account with a local credit card.

Then again I don't use SKYPE but a similair program that is basically the same but less well known and the site hasn't been blocked (yet!), and so you can happily download the software still. For that reason I won't give you the name of the program here, but if anyone wants it PM me.

puff m'call
25th Jan 2006, 11:55
Just run a ghostsurf programme in the back ground and you can download what you like, i've just down loaded Skype 2, it work fine.

Fox3snapshot
25th Jan 2006, 17:50
Make the most of it....the Etisilat press statement and subsequent media releases through all the Middle East IT mags claim that a new program being to be installed by the "UAE sole telecommunications provider " called "Sniper" will be shutting down Skype and numerous other VOIP sites.

You cannot credit card recharge or download Skype from their primary sites now on the domestic Etisilat connection. The Internet city and layover options are the most commonly used. If you are a real hack though the firewall bypass would be the way ahead....and if you are able to do that PM the way to do it and great rewards will be in the post! :ok:

Cyberbird
25th Jan 2006, 18:52
Relaaaaax - just met a top-notch IT-Pro from Cisco at the Media-City ..
he assured that SNIPER - or whatsoever - if it might be installed at all,
just CAN'T by ANY MEANS stop the VOIP Protocols if run via an "Anonymizer",
Ghostsurfer etc. pp .
So - Keep Skypin' - the interNet stays free fot the smart ones around ;)

metro301
25th Jan 2006, 19:10
What is a ghostsurfer and how do I get my hands on one?

Thanks very much for any info.

jtstream
25th Jan 2006, 23:15
What is a ghostsurfer and how do I get my hands on one?
Thanks very much for any info.

Buy ghostsurf online. I think their website is just www.ghostsurf.com or try a search through google

Fool 'n' Tameez
26th Jan 2006, 13:20
I wouldn't recommend running VOIP via an anonymiser. Latency issues would make it impractical.

But if you want an anonymiser, a good one is Tor (the onion router). Both powerful and more importantly... FREE!

gnadirs
26th Jan 2006, 16:17
In Doha a lot of people are having problems with the quality of the connection.

A minute or so after having started a perfectly OK conversation the quality goes down untii being almost unreadable after 5 minutes ( skype)

Any ideas how this is possible and what maybe the sollutions to this problem could be?

Thanks a lot,
Gnadirs

uplock
26th Jan 2006, 17:11
Heres another site https://www.megaproxy.com/ the free version lets you check out the basic concept and let you look at "banned" web sites but no downloading.

Paid version $10 for 90 days lets you download plus some other features

mtogw
26th Jan 2006, 17:26
IN Limbo
As far as I can tell the internet here in Bahrain is completely free from any of the hangups they have in the UAE, so you should be able to download anything you want...say no more..

ExSimGuy
28th Jan 2006, 19:16
Using Orbit SatNet here. Advertised as "256/128", but although the download is at least as fast as claimed, the upload make a piss-poor copper connection look good:uhoh:

So Skype is useless on Orbit

Whilst it is good to be able to surf quickly (25kb/s for upload is fine for surfing) it is hopeless trying to use Skype on the Orbit connection. Works fine from the office (Saudi regular "copper" connection at about 50kb/s) it's "I can hear you but you can't hear me" if using the satellite connection.

Anyone else got the same experience? or solutions?

ExSim

ekwife
29th Jan 2006, 02:41
do any of you use msn messenger? if u have headphones, you can chat - just like skype and it's free...

ExSimGuy
29th Jan 2006, 03:48
EK - Yes, you can do that with MSN or Skype - both free.

But the main thrust of Skype is that the person at the other end doesn't have to have a computer, just a phone line. (My dear Mum is getting a bit long in the tooth to work either Skype or MSN!)

As for the cost - cost me about 50 cents yesterday for a half-hour chat with my daughter - not much eh! (Her MSN isn't working, and she's waiting for The Old Man to come visit next vacation so I can fix it for her!)

FormerFlyer
29th Jan 2006, 19:30
In Doha a lot of people are having problems with the quality of the connection.
A minute or so after having started a perfectly OK conversation the quality goes down untii being almost unreadable after 5 minutes ( skype)
Any ideas how this is possible and what maybe the sollutions to this problem could be?
Thanks a lot,
Gnadirs

I'm having same problems calling DOH from UK - sounds like the person that end is like a twanging guitar, it's such a shame.

Anyone else got the same problem in DOH?

cheers ;)
FF

foreverboeing
1st Feb 2006, 11:43
I am having the same problem from doha.If I wanna talk msn to msn or skype to skype it is impossible that other person can understand you,If I try to call land line at europe via skype,also it is impossible to have good,healthy coversation.Any help?I think thats another restriction done by qatar to us,anyway we earn tax free so we can pay back our tax to them with their dirty games.I feel like in a prison:(

bigmanatc
1st Feb 2006, 12:18
Yahoo also has a mesenger which I find better than msn. There is also another service for phones...which I`m sure is the same one Air No Services is referring to.....but to keep it secret...pm if you want the name...it does work here.

ExSimGuy
1st Feb 2006, 13:11
Some of the "symptoms" posted above are not too clear.

First of all, is the problem one-way, or does one party (at which end?) hear clearly and one does not?

What connections to the internet are being used?

A dial-up line needs to be of good quality (say 36kb/s or better).

If it's DSL/ ADSL, there should be no problem.

If there's a problem with DSL/ADSL or a good dial-up, then suspect your ISP or the "National service". Of course, if you are sharing an internet with neighbours and they are downloading (or uploading) heavily, your quality is going to be all over the place!

As per my post on page one, I suspect there is something very wrong with Orbit Satnet (satellite connection) as it appears to be nowhere near its claimed 128kb/s "uplink", which means I can hear the party at the other end clearly, but they can't hear me! Anyone else using Orbit satellite connection?

Foggy Bottom
3rd Feb 2006, 02:15
If you are from the US I would recomend Packet8 for your VOIP needs. I have been using it for about 3 years on a DSL link in the UAE with very good results. If you have a better connection so much the better. $19.95 a month for unlimited calls to N. America and reasonable calls to the rest of the world. Plus you can register the phone to most area codes in the US. So your friends and family can just make a local phone call and it rings in the UAE. I personally like it better then Skype and less expensive then Vonage with (I think) better quality of service.

WWW.packet8.net (http://www.packet8.net)

AirNoServicesAustralia
8th Feb 2006, 10:09
Well I replied to one person with PM about who i use, and abracadabra www.callserve.com is blocked, and I don't know how, but the program won't even connect anymore. Ah well, it was good while it lasted. I just wish Etisilat would quit the whole BS about blocking a site due to moral or cultural reasons. Pigs bum, it should say, "This site is blocked because it is eating into our massive profits":yuk:

Keith Discovering
8th Feb 2006, 10:21
You can download the latest Skype without fear of being blocked at:

http://www.filehippo.com/

Callserve now blocked. :{

Rogi
8th Feb 2006, 10:39
not sure if it works in the ME, but try www.voipstunt.com
Put a credit on it and you can call for free to quite a few countries....as long as it stays free.....

popay
8th Feb 2006, 11:35
Folks, try to use FireFox browser instead of internet explorer. You will be amazed how much securer it is and which sites you can visit. Skype should be working fine with FireFox as the site and the program. Anyway the whole windows stuff is just crap. Linux is the best. Switch over to Mandriva.
Cheers.:8

TMAguide
9th Feb 2006, 05:11
Just installed and bought prepaid talk time on callserve, and now its blocked! Made one call :-(

Kpt40
13th Feb 2006, 20:33
Do you guys use any Satelite(sp?) internet server like Direcway. I think upload speeds are much slower than download speeds, and like all things sat it will be subject to wx issues/sand storms and cloud cover.The skyscrapper between you and it won't help either.
But, it completely bypasses any copper or DSL and goes straight out to the mother ship somewhere. That seems to me to be unblockable unless the local gov starts emitting some serious ECM. I think in Singapore its illegal, but do not know the rules in Dubai or the mid east.

AirNoServicesAustralia
13th Feb 2006, 21:24
TMA guide use megaproxy to access the callserve website and send them a message that you are in UAE and that callserve is now blocked and that program no longer works, and they will send you an email with a tiny little attachment that when ran will make callserve work again. Still won't be able to access website unless through proxy but the calling will work again. :ok:

ExSimGuy
14th Feb 2006, 03:13
Do you guys use any Satelite(sp?) internet server like Direcway.
Nobody else here talking about satellite, but yes, as I mentioned earlier, I'm using a sat.

"Direc" used to be out here but they were "phone up, sat down". Don't know if they are still around as I did a search a while ago and couldn't find them, or anything competitive with Orbit's pricing. The Orbit Satnet system is the one that seems to be most easily available and reasonably (for here) priced. Don't know about the other countries but it's available in Saudi, and at the moment there's no more modems available from the local distributor and I know peeps are going over to Bahrain where it's sold as well.

Their published speed is 256 down, 128 up - BUT - although testing here shows the 256 is rock solid, but the uplink is around 20 to 30k, which is useless for VoIP:mad: (and a pain for maintaining the company internet site too!)

Cost works out around US$600 for 6 months. There is also a package with higher "claimed" uplink (512/512), but that's about twice the price.

If I want to use Skype, I have to do it from the office, where we have a decent speed "conventional" phone - and no, it's not blocked here.

Has anyone tried an "internet accellerator"?? These are the guys who claim to "boost your speed up to 10 times" on a phone line. One of the side-effects of this is that the web site address is "tunnelled" so the blocking software doesn't see it. The ones I have seen cost around US$50 a year, and would certainly allow you to getonto the callserve web site if that's the problem. And they DO make a big improvement in download times for web pages and text (email), not so good for executable file download or zip files.

330 Man
28th Jun 2006, 16:00
Has anyone had problems with Skype or Vonage in the last 3 days? Vonage has been off since Monday and I am afraid that our wonderful Etisilat has finally blocked it. ( I am sure that it still works for those in internet city so it can't be illegal right?) Perfect timing, when all of the families are leaving for the summer. If Skype still works I will try to set up an account.
Regards,
330 Man

28th Jun 2006, 16:09
Yes..Skype is working properly....:ok:

Sabastienl
28th Jun 2006, 16:27
Skype was acting up few days back....but now its ok! I hope Etisilat are
not back to their old tricks!

MR8
28th Jun 2006, 18:45
No Skype for me for about 3 days now.. Very unusual, I can log in, but can't see any of my friends online, and neither can they see me...

MR8

barkingboris
29th Jun 2006, 03:21
I am glad that i am not going insane.I have not been able to log into skype for 2 days.I have uninstalled and re-installed skype AND my new Linksys phone which was working fine but still no joy.I even got someone to set up a new acc for me from SA but that did not work either.
For info the cd that i was provided with by Linksys has the Skype program on it .So #%@ to Etisalat......TAKE THAT :\ :\

Rat Catcher
29th Jun 2006, 06:00
BB, without seeming to state the obvious it would look like they are making you take it?:E :E :E

sec 3
29th Jun 2006, 07:10
Could anyone please give me a link to get around etislut for skype?:ugh: Thanks

barkingboris
29th Jun 2006, 08:01
Hey Rat
You are quite correct but it made me feel better.I really do not look forward to paying 600-700 pm again for the pleasure of phoning my kids in SA.I do not quite understand how skype etc etc is working in some ares in DXB as i called some of my friends who have it and they have no problems.
Maybe buy a villa and inherit a server.NOT:\

StarWinder
29th Jun 2006, 09:23
I believe VOIP is available without interruption at all FEZ (Jebel Ali, SAIF, etc.) throughout UAE. Other areas at mercy of Etislut.

birdieonfirst
4th Jul 2006, 07:25
Guys!

Moved to DSO about three weeks ago and have been off-line until a couple of days ago. When I hook up my modem and IP phone (thank god for that invention!) there's no joy. I call Etisalat and they tell me it's been blocked due to security!!! What can I say? Third world (or forth, or fifth or...)

Question is, is there any way around this that you know of? Heard that you can call your provider in your home country and have them assign a different port to the modem. I'm totally out of my depth here. Any info greatly apprechiated!

Thanks!

:rolleyes: Birdieonfirst

ETOPS
4th Jul 2006, 08:11
Don't worry birdieonfirst help is just a click away :D

Got to http://tor.eff.org/ or search google
for "TOR" - The Onion Ring. It's an anonymiser that hides your IP.

Very useful for web browsing from 15th century Mid East locations..........

ShockWave
4th Jul 2006, 10:05
Tor site also blocked. What a farce.....

mckaj
4th Jul 2006, 11:30
It is not legal for Etisalat to block the VOIP. Call and threaten them and ask them for their right to block it. Ask them to send the rules and regulations for use of their internet.

Write a mail to CEO of Etisalat and have him explain their right to block it and have him explain why they believe it is a security issue in Dubai and not in the rest of the world.

They are so full of ****.

They have no right to do it.

Fox3snapshot
4th Jul 2006, 12:54
Birdie...

Covered here too:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210653&goto=nextnewest

If that doesn't work search this thread for Skype and Vonage.

There was an article recently in the Gulf News (a very very credible and unbiased news service :oh: ) that Etisilat 'The sole telecomunication provider in the UAE' may relax its policy on VOIP etc. We'll see. But I might add even Telstra and a few other major government sponsored operations around the world have mooted blocking VOIP but love to see them try.

;)

GLOC
14th Aug 2006, 10:31
Its official, the 'Ministry of Denying Your Civil Rights' has banned VOIP and specifically blocked SKYPE in the UAE.

The 'sole telecommunications provider' as they like to refer to themselves have confirmed it.
Gotta love this place.

Zomp
14th Aug 2006, 10:39
still working dude

Fox3snapshot
14th Aug 2006, 10:41
Only if your still logged in. If you log out or shut your PC down it won't reconnect. :suspect:

Time to head back to the real world me thinks....:sad:

14th Aug 2006, 11:15
I've logged in this morning and it worked...
R U sure is not blocked in your building?
And by the way..Are you in Dubai?:confused:

Fox3snapshot
14th Aug 2006, 11:21
I'm not in Dubai and a telephone call to Etisilat confirmed that they have blocked it. This happened after lunch I believe.

Fox3snapshot
14th Aug 2006, 11:58
Yup couldn't agree more... :hmm:

F/O Junior
14th Aug 2006, 12:28
Guys, still works here, Etisalad :mad: cable access,
Skype version 2.5.0.130
cheers

14th Aug 2006, 13:07
I've logged in again just now also with the wireless connection..
:ok:

Fox3snapshot
14th Aug 2006, 13:23
Are you on the Jebal Ali / Internet City connection or the cable service, if so you may not be affected yet???

The standard ADSL / Al Shammil connection here in the capital is not connecting.

GLOC
14th Aug 2006, 13:35
Still no joy for me either, I'm on Al Shamil as well.

14th Aug 2006, 13:38
I'm not in the Internet City area and the LAN and wireless are both connecting...:E

145qrh
14th Aug 2006, 13:48
Skype and Callsreve both still working..Al-Shamil in the city...:)

So far...

grumpy_bugger
14th Aug 2006, 13:49
Welcome to MONOPOLY LAND.
In Dubai, a city of perhaps 1.5 million (the recently published census wasn't quite sure) we have the following:
1 Chevrolet dealer
1 Toyota dealer
1 Nissan dealer
1 Harley Davidson dealer
1 ... well you get the picture
In the UAE (the country of approximately 4 million people that comprises seven Emirates, of which Dubai is one) there is 1 Telecom provider which imposes draconian censorship rules on use of the internet. Newspapers are 'canted' and woe betide anyone flicking 'the bird' at a local on the roads after they have just tried to kill you and your family.
Now are we all really surprised that they have , or are doing their best to block VOIP? This will reduce their revenue and to be fair, with current oil prices times are tough.
Come on guys stop crying about it and call your loved ones on the phone. Think about the alternative; they might go broke and we might be out of a job!

chinny
14th Aug 2006, 14:16
:sad: just signed in on skype no probs-could get credit yest tho on mates laptop-in jebal ali but not free zone:ok:
cc
VTSP

theairlineguru
14th Aug 2006, 16:27
Here in Abu Dhabi not working either!!!

This place makes me laugh really. They have a monopoly system. Etisalat have the monopoly on the telecoms network. Then they decide that a bit of competition might not be a bad idea. So what do they do.... they form another company. And guess who it's owned by....???

.....that's right folks...... Etisalat!! Its a joke!!!

As a rule i've decided. Beware of things beginning with the letters E T I. H A D enough of this place.

GURU

Fox3snapshot
14th Aug 2006, 17:21
guru....nice one! :D :p

Yep Abu Dhabs is definately shut down.

Oman telecoms did the same thing when they formed their 'independant' provider, most of the board members existed on both companies! :rolleyes:

puff m'call
14th Aug 2006, 17:36
worked ok as of last night :ok:

14th Aug 2006, 19:40
Guys..Just wondering..have you tried with any IP anonymizer..?:O

popay
14th Aug 2006, 20:03
Hi there, try out the ghost surf. Its quite a reliable software and you will get Etisalat server confused. It works with Qtel though it doesn't block skype for the time being.
:eek: Cheers.

EGGW
14th Aug 2006, 20:30
Skype working fine here!

EGGW :ok:

ekpilot
14th Aug 2006, 21:15
I know that you'll all wonder why, but I hav desided today to quit and look elsewhere. What has this got to do with skype? It's not that specifically, but having been nearly ran off SZ Highway tonight, got home to call missus, skype not working, so called on the expensive landline and realise that I really miss home. No VOIP allowed? Why not? In an Islamic country that is world famous for it's hookers and clubs? No sex outside of marriage unless it's with a Cyclone or York girlie? Come on, it's just pure blatant greed.This place has become a joke. As for the attitude of our Flight Ops managers, that's another story.

The loss of skype for me was just the straw that broke the camel's back. See you around guys, this ekpilot is going home.

Fox3snapshot
14th Aug 2006, 21:52
ekpilot,

Its funny you should feel that way. I have spoken to 3 others today that had the same thing to say after this latest rought. It really ticks me off with this Skype business as it was a sensational network, even with the gang here in UAE! I had just got the folks gripped up with it and certainly brings the world a lot closer and bareable. :(

There seems to be some sectors of the community that haven't been affected yet but everyone I have checked with here in the capital have lost it if they had turned off their PC's or logged out and then tried to log back in.

donpizmeov
15th Aug 2006, 01:53
Foxy,

Barnsey will make it all better fella.

Don

mckaj
15th Aug 2006, 06:50
I feel the same way and will be leaving once my training bond period is over.

Blocking VOIP is just one of those small things that makes it easier to leave.

Fox3snapshot
15th Aug 2006, 06:50
Don,
Ha! Only a miracle will save us now! The end is nigh......:{

Skype have responded on their website:

Is Skype blocked in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)?

It has been brought to our attention that our website has been blocked by one or more ISPs in the United Arab Emirates. Unfortunately there is very little Skype can do about this situation. The best course of action would be for you to speak to your ISP and ask why they are blocking Skype and request that they unblock our site. Unfortunately there are no alternatives to purchase SkypeOut credits other than Skype.com.

Quote "one or more of their ISP's" gfaw gfaw....if they only knew we only have one! :ugh:

"request that they unblock the site"....yeah and like that is gonna happen! :suspect:

Cyberbird
15th Aug 2006, 08:17
Well, Skype is working fine here high above the SZ-Road ...
and anyway - that IP-Protocol - Skype is using - can't be blocked at all,
and it can be also anonymized too easily - just slows down the connection speed a (unnoticable) bit ..

But anyhow - I'm leaving latest end of the year as well,
as i just had it: i don't get my leave, i've now got another 95-ish hours
with no time to recharge my batteries between those flights anymore,
also there's a significantly downturn in "crewmorale" on the (rarely) layovers noticable - as the 80% Chinese, Korean, Thai - whatever not westerly world CC (no racist offences though!) just disappear from check-in at the hotel until check-out next morning, as they're mostly cooking their noodles up in their rooms in the kettle, instead of having some kind of life ...
of course, that is, to save their (barely needed!) allowances - sad that is ... as the whole Emirates morale -not only among those massively resigning weserly CC - also for us upfront, is definitively spiralling downwards as well !!:uhoh:

Ramboflyer 1
15th Aug 2006, 08:38
Face it Cyberbird you would love an invite to a room noodle party , but im sure when your job is done you couldnt wait to get outta there , and tell all ya mates.............

GLOC
15th Aug 2006, 08:44
Cyber,

"anyway - that IP-Protocol - Skype is using - can't be blocked at all" ummm yep it can unfortunately.

As has been mentioned by Fox and Co. it hasn't effected everyone yet but they have definately blocked different sectors of the UAE. I guess as there is more than one server given time they will trash the whole lot. My undertsanding is that internet city and the customers off that server are not affected, as they had no firewall either (someone may clarify that???).

Either way I sympathize with your feeling on things at the moment....my logbook is filling faster than the 3 Gorges Dam in China! as is the the bucket of s*it!

Scooter Rassmussin
15th Aug 2006, 08:46
I remember when I was in Dubai sometimes Skype was u/s when the traffic on the internet was slow, with Etisalat its always slow, but sometimes unbearable.
As far as i understand Skype is a separate program and once installed only needs an active internet connection.
It cannot be blocked without blocking the rest of the internet.
Sure you cant get the home page , to top up your account but a friend or relative in a normal country can fix that..
If you need to download Skype type it into google there are other websites with the program that are not blocked as an example download.com
Any computer boffins care to explain how it may be blocked, and if there is a way around it....

ZFT
15th Aug 2006, 10:05
I remember when I was in Dubai sometimes Skype was u/s when the traffic on the internet was slow, with Etisalat its always slow, but sometimes unbearable.
As far as i understand Skype is a separate program and once installed only needs an active internet connection.
It cannot be blocked without blocking the rest of the internet.
Sure you cant get the home page , to top up your account but a friend or relative in a normal country can fix that..
If you need to download Skype type it into google there are other websites with the program that are not blocked as an example download.com
Any computer boffins care to explain how it may be blocked, and if there is a way around it....

We have been experiencing a rather zealous Ministry of Information and Public Morality blocking of websites here in BKK for a number of months.

Torpark is just one of many programmes you can download that overcomes this issue. Haven’t tried it with Skype but see no reason why it shouldn’t work, especially if only to top up accounts.

alemaobaiano
15th Aug 2006, 12:27
... and anyway - that IP-Protocol - Skype is using - can't be blocked at all,

True, and Skype will hunt for any available open port in the event that the preferred ones are blocked...... however, AFAIK there is only one Skype authentication server and that can be blocked, and this technique has been used successfully.

There is almost certainly a way round this, but Etisalat will eventually stop that one too. And so it goes on.

They don't have to block Skype 100%, just make it too much of a hassle for the average users to rely on it for calls.

twieke
15th Aug 2006, 12:53
Hi guys,

Just used Skype and it works fine. Have AlShamil broadband via cable in Jumeira. Just thought I'd let you know. As for the rest, ah well...

Greetings

outhouse
15th Aug 2006, 12:55
Try Privoxy, RealTunnel or Tor, as ways through firewalls that are used to block access. The Gateway Address for the Primary and Alternate can be changed along with the Port address in the set up pages of the phone system. All that is required is for the provider of the service to issue new Gateway addresses and Port numbers. This will bypass the block. However as these are known to the internet provider they can still be blocked, the local jingly computer shop may be able to help with updated settings as it looks like it will be ongoing. The Net to Phone system are very good regarding new gateway and port numbers and they work with other systems that allow you to edit them. This worked in Qatar last year when we had the same problem; the joy is that if it goes on long enough the internet grinds to a stop as they continue to restrict the access. Advice, check with the local jingly computer chaps and keep changing the access numbers, the dum Sh**ts will give up and all will return to normal. Been there and seen the video, and know how you feel.
Outhouse.

slugmaster
15th Aug 2006, 16:27
I'm on my leave and out of reach of the censors, so could you guys recommend me some good software to download or buy that can be used to avoid the :mad: provider's firewalls? What do you use, what do you think is the best?
I would like to be able to browse everywhere I like, to download anything I want, to use skype or other VOIP software, and I don't want them to know what I am doing... I dont care if it costs $200, as long as I'm able to do all the stuff I like... Any suggestions? :ok:

busdriver22
15th Aug 2006, 16:56
For those who have etisalat as a service provider, i have found a program that allows you to bypass all blocked sites. It works great, actually sends ur requests to different servers accross the world instead of sending it to the server here. All you have to do when you install it is select the mode that reads invisible. And that autmaticlally hides ur ip from etisalat.

You can download the program from this site:

http://www.ghost-surf.com

enjoy :-)

Trashed Aviator
15th Aug 2006, 19:52
Not surprised it still works in Jumeirah , thats where a lot of locals live and they are allowed to use Skype cause its their country.
Let the Infidels pay for Etisalat....
If Im ever in doubt as to leaving the ME then i only have to go to pprune to remind me of the screw ups in the place , and theres always a new one.
Looks like the boys off to Jetstar werent so stupid afterall.

Trashed Aviator
15th Aug 2006, 19:54
Cyberbird where has your noodle been lately, is it true EK pilots dont bang around.:=

faheel
15th Aug 2006, 22:48
Saw this on the BBC click online website last week.
I tried it out ringing OZ from Sin with no problems, but because Skype works fine here I cannot be bothered using this program.
http://www.jajah.com/
Oops, sorry looks like they don't support calls to the UAE but this lot do http://www.gizmoproject.com/call-out-rates.php
Anyway use this link to the BBC to see the article
http://www.bbcworld.com/content/template_clickonline.asp?pageid=666&co_pageid=2

AirNoServicesAustralia
15th Aug 2006, 23:39
Just to clarify for all of you. Skype Website has been blocked for ages and so a lot of us have been using a proxy to get access to that and all those other websites out there. To run Skype other than the initial program download and crediting account, we don't need the website. What has happened recently is Etisilat has somehow blocked the running of the program for some of us. I try and ring a phone number with it and it goes to call and then stalls and says there is an internal error. This happened to call serve about 6 months ago, and they had a 23 k patch within a week to work around it. Heres hoping skype do the same, as I think they make some good money out of us sand pit dwellers. In the mean time I will continue to use callserve until they block that again I guess.

emailme
16th Aug 2006, 00:48
You could try Ipig.com or hotspotvpn.com Ipig is free but a little gitchy and sometimes slow or pay for hotspotvpn. Another solution is have someone run Hamachi and you proxy through their vpn(very easy to set up I may be willing.
Hamachi is like skype --traverses through firewalls).

Fox3snapshot
16th Aug 2006, 01:30
Unfortunately after a ring around today confirmed a good few of us have been completely shut down and it will not even sign in to the normal services that we have been enjoying to date.

I called Etisilat and they confirmed once again that they had blocked it. I suggest though it may be a matter of time before they have the resources to block everybody, if it gets to that stage???!!! It's a company from the UK called Sniper and they're business to shut down VOIP. :eek:

See you for Barnsey! :D

AirNoServicesAustralia
16th Aug 2006, 03:20
Thats funny cos I am able to sign in and my little skype icon at the bottom corner is a green tick and says I am online but then when I go to call it says I have an internal error. Is that the same story as you Foxy or do I have a different problem?

I'll give you a call today to organise details about Jimmy.

16th Aug 2006, 04:28
Again guys...invest few bucks in a web anonymizer and you'll bypass this bu****t:E

Fox3snapshot
16th Aug 2006, 05:24
No we cannot even get it to sign in now i.e. it will not even get to the stage where the icon goes green. Just got 2 texts from Dubai mates and they have now been shut down too. Its as I mentioned, I think they are working their way around the network and server by server shutting things down....like a disease they are spreading their scurge. :yuk:

Sundowners at Bahri Bar Madinat before Jimmy will be the go :}

Gonna hit the hay, been another night in paradise playing merry go rounds at Desdi! :zzz:

halas
16th Aug 2006, 06:39
Very strange,

That site used to be blocked.

Bought my copy outside the UAE.

Works fine. Just updated my Skype-out account too.

halas

Trashed Aviator
16th Aug 2006, 07:05
So you dont think Etisalat management have had a banquet for the Skype management at the Burge and discussed blocking in the UAE.
If Skpe management have there pockets lined by the greedy arabs then you may wait a long time for a patch.
So when you are forced to call by telephone youll still be paying for Skype and not getting the service.

AirNoServicesAustralia
16th Aug 2006, 08:52
As I said earlier, use a proxy to access callserve (google it if need be) and download that software and install it. Charge up your account and pay about 5 cents a minute to Australia and the States. Sure beats paying 2 dirhams a minute with Etisilat.

They complain about people using VOIP's here but they don't lower their ridiculous prices to make people not bother.

They complain about people using DSTV and Hotbird and other illegal satellite TV here but they don't bother improving the crap, overpriced TV options here. I mean there is no decent motor sports coverage on any of the packages here. You have to pay extra to watch the world cup. The one I am with provides no TV guide on screen or in the published form. They wonder why we look elsewhere.

They wonder why people buy illegal DVD's here of movies rather than going to the cinema to see it legally. You go to the theatre and pay 30 dh's at 10pm on a school night only to have a 6 year old local child crawling all over the back of your seat, pulling your hair and screaming at the top of their voice. All the while the local husband smokes and talks full volume on his mobile phone, and the covered wife talks on her mobile phone.

Sorry rant over.

furbpilot
16th Aug 2006, 09:24
Just managed to defeat the monopolists.
Get ghostsurfer works fine in Explorer some site when you can download it are accessible fro UAE .. i did it ..check google.Go to proxiysetting in skype.
Set HTTPS settings as from Explorer after Ghostsurf installation..and le voilà le monopoliste ce fotu!!
What a feeling!!

AirNoServicesAustralia
16th Aug 2006, 09:51
Ok furbpilot thanks for that but still haven't managed to crack it. I have downloaded and installed ghostsurfer and it has updated my internet explorer settings. I went and got the IP address and the port from explorer and then went to skype settings and selected HTTPS in the connection options. It then asks me to host and port. I know the port is as the ghostsurfer program told me and what is now in my explorer settings, but the host? And are there any other changes to be made. Thanks for your help.

Plank Cap
16th Aug 2006, 10:38
Bit of a thicky with computers sorry to say. Anyway, successfully downloaded free 15 day trial version of ghost- surf, but STILL cannot get skype to connect as normal. Any ideas anyone? Thanks....

emailme
16th Aug 2006, 13:00
www.iopus.com/ipig/

Sorry everyone I thought Ipig was on ipig.com the right address is above
Good luck

el !
16th Aug 2006, 13:22
Check out what IP address your VPN/tunnel solution gives you. If that falls in space assigned to US, as a side benefit your will enjoy free calling to the US.
Unless skype is smart enough to have built an exception for these addresses, I don't know.

jack schidt
16th Aug 2006, 13:28
Callserve are staying ahead of Etimoneygrab. They are not blocked and as Eti try to change proxy settings, they issue patches to keep the service running. No ghosts or otherwise. Even been told internet city has the internal error msg come up on skype when used. They are MONOPOLISING := all the net, but hey, WEB CAM and Messenger etc is better anyway.

Good luck!

pullup hard
16th Aug 2006, 13:36
AirNoServicesAustralia, where can I find the port information ghostsurf is using to change the settings in the skype program?
Thks for help!

Fox3snapshot
16th Aug 2006, 13:59
Skype automatically uses the Windows Explorer settings so you actually have to align Skype with the Explorer settings if it is using a 3rd party like Ghost. In this case the Host is: 127.0.0.1 and the Port 7212.

Unfortunately as ANSA mentioned even after this process is complete it is still not coming on line so there must be a bit more to the equation.

Any ideas anyone? :confused:

AirNoServicesAustralia
16th Aug 2006, 15:07
Yep as Foxy said still not fixing the skype problem ( but damn ghostsurfer is an amazing little program, I mean the little slider bar is like tittie sites on demand!!! Hmmm I'm a good boy leave it on normal, want to visit hornygrannies.com and slide that little baby up to secure and awaaay you go!!! Take that Etisilat!!!!(by the way I made up the hornygrannies bit I promise!!!:rolleyes: )). But yes, still no joy with skype. Foxy use ghostsurfer to go to the callserve website and download their nifty little program and you'll be callin Oz in no time.

Fox3snapshot
16th Aug 2006, 15:26
Cheerz mate.

Does yar missus know you are in the computer room on your own, I thought you were only allowed in there under supervision! :E

AirNoServicesAustralia
16th Aug 2006, 16:05
Come on mate you know the old saying "Play together, Stay together", its no fun on your own mate! :ok:

Let me know how you get on with the alternative to skype that I mentioned.

ennui
16th Aug 2006, 20:36
Wife and Kids away, of course he's in the little room!

Neighbour helped with work around tonight, haven't tested but at least the litt;e icon is noe green. Willing to help if you PM me, look for TOR, download and I'll assist with config.

No need to resign yet, any technological block can be beaten with combined intelligence and cunning!

ZigZagZog
16th Aug 2006, 23:31
Ok, so look at the time of my post and you can tell I've been out on the razzle...but i swear I'm not seeing things, honest!

Yesterday I looked at this thread, smug look came across my face as I thought "not me"...yet...:D

This morning, could not log on to skype, same story all day, all the way till I went out for a drink this pm... 'egg on face' sprang to mind....:sad:

Now i come back homeagain.... quick check of the emails... and low and behold, I have a little green tick down on my tool bar... what is going on?:ugh:

All prepared to play with ghosts etc, and now it seems I am OK... for how long?

Nite nite
ZZZ
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz:

AirNoServicesAustralia
17th Aug 2006, 08:03
Ok I checked Callserve and it is still working for me, so sorry "contacted" I don't know what the problem is.

jack schidt
17th Aug 2006, 09:05
I removed the Skype software and the got it re-installed from the latest software on the skype site (do it down route if you have to load it up afresh). The re-installation sorted the internal server error msg and lack of connection for me, now back on and fine. Is there anywhere we can get the 10mb prog loaded to a non-skype server so that it is easily obtainable without having to type the word skype in!

How about 4HP asking Danny for a bit of server space for a bit so the boys can link to it and download it. Don't want Etimoneygrab to block PPRuNe though, that would be disastrous!!
:ooh:

Contacted check your PMs

ernestkgann
17th Aug 2006, 09:57
I have it working through TOR. I now have my IP address hidden but it's slowed my connection and there is quite a delay on the phone.
I've adjusted the settings on skype's connection to the same ones TOR uses but I'm wondering if I used a different port I might solve the delay. Does anyone know whether this will work and what port to use?
At the moment I appear to be working through servers in Germany and the US.

Fox3snapshot
17th Aug 2006, 13:27
Thanks for that mate but unfortunately it seems the 'sniper' program Etislut are using has our every move in its sights and this patch didn't achieve the aim. :uhoh:

Keep the ideas coming though....I would love to beat these snapperheads at their own game :*

Shark-1
17th Aug 2006, 14:18
Hi all,

Brilliant to see all the wise heads knocking together here.
I am sure once the black stuff in the ground is it a price thats profitable for big brother he will diversify away from telcodollars!! But till then just a quick question ...

Is it possible to use Skype via a vpn such as LogMeIn etc??

Regards

Shark-1

barkingboris
17th Aug 2006, 15:50
I have today become skypeless !!!!:mad:
Eataslut have once again proved they could not stand up to the competition from a REAL FIRST WORLD service provider.
I also flicked on my tv to watch tv and i have no signal from the dstv satellite.My subs are up to date so that is not the cause.
I have been hearing rumours that the dstv satellite might be changing so us lucky (not) desert rats might be forced to watch shredded movies behind half a screen of arabic subtitles.I love watching movies with strands of barbed wire filling the screen.
Does anyone have a solution to the skype and am i solo in the dstv problem
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

furbpilot
17th Aug 2006, 15:54
Well...its not working again..I can't figure out why at the moment. But i called the ETslut..told them since they blocked Skype probably i dont need ADSL anymore..no more 189 dhm per month... because thats the reason why i installed it in the first instance. Why dont'you all do the same..just to scare them a little......these b......s!!!

Fox3snapshot
17th Aug 2006, 16:53
Good on them, sums it all up really! :suspect:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/Fox3snapshot/skypedout.jpg

Cyberbird
17th Aug 2006, 17:53
... with this smart proxy-anonymizer SKYPE runs (somewhat slow, but basically okay) nicely again, at the SZ-road, at my friends places in Jumeirah, down in the InterNet-City and Springs as well ... well, as that skype traffic is "tunneled" and 100% masked it can't be detected and blocked by that "Sniper" or "guardian" tools, which are Etisluts "watchdogs" to scramble the once identified Skype traffic - well, it was at least a nice trial from EtiSalat ;-))

but You've been outsmartened by those tunnel builders:

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/

however, these JAP-anonymizer outsmarts especially that "Snipers" and "Gauardians" UK-attempt of blocking skype, once again by 100% (!!) masking it - which is the flipside of the coin, as it needs some resources (fast connection) otherwise it renders/slows down the VOIP to garbled bits an' pieces ...:{

of course that original website of the german university in Dresden is blocked by those 18th centuries wonnabees ....

You might find a way to get it - it's brilliant to admit, even if i'm not german :ok: i just had a 1hours skype chat from SZ-road to the UK
for some merly 70 cents -ähhh... Etisluts - beat that :O

ruserious
17th Aug 2006, 18:32
DSTV still OK here, as well as Skype working OK

FLAMEOUT
17th Aug 2006, 22:04
well I have Ghost surf installed and thats working fine, however Skype - my lifeline to the world is still not connecting.
Please any of you computer genius out there help me and us lesser mortals by providing us with an idots guide as to ip addess etc.
I have gone into the skype options- connections selected HTTPS 127.0.0.1 Port 7212 these are the same Internet Explorer settings in my browser.
No joy!
PS DSTV works fine where I am

outhouse
18th Aug 2006, 05:22
Try the following settings on the Network settings page for the phone:

Primary Gateway 205-240-76-113.
Alternate Gateway 205-240-76-113.

Both ports set to 1646.

TCP Port 0
UDP Port 0
outhouse

barkingboris
18th Aug 2006, 05:25
My dstv is back online so it was Showtime and MBC (Moronic broadcasting company) taking potshots at the satellite with a blunderbuss.All ok but still skypeless.I have a 007 tonight and will download and save latest version of skype tp see if it helps and make avail to all if it does.

neilb767
18th Aug 2006, 11:01
Skype is working for DIC users. !!!

Im using DIC for my ISP,

This AM I could not log onto SKYPE, I just downloaded the latest version of SKYPE and it works fine.

However, am still not able to use Yahoo Voice to make a call ? anyone got any ideas on this one ????

Thanks

tempilot
18th Aug 2006, 12:00
I am unable to connect to my AOL software, my Skype, my Iconnnecthere.com, my MSN Messenger, nor my Tiscali NetPhone when connected to the Internet via my hotel's WiFi in downtown Dubai!!
Tempilot.

chinny
18th Aug 2006, 12:17
:= have down loaded newest version and is still blocked.:hmm:
these muppets :mad: :mad: :mad:
cc
VTSP

chandlers dad
18th Aug 2006, 13:49
Has anyone in the ME tried the new Skype phones?

Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/G-TRANS-AA2610-SKYPE-USB-PHONE_W0QQitemZ110023030089QQihZ001QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Was thinking of buying one to try and did not know if they work worldwide.

Could not live without Skype when out flying but after Ebay bought them last year just hope that they do not start screwing with them the way that they did after they purchased Pay Pal.

Good luck working around ports and such. Just remember that we are smarter than they are.

EGGW
18th Aug 2006, 13:50
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/etisalad/etisalad13.gif (http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/etisalad/etisalad13.gif)

Trust
18th Aug 2006, 13:58
Cyberbird please check your E-mail. :ok:

machbias
18th Aug 2006, 14:56
Just managed to defeat the monopolists.
Get ghostsurfer works fine in Explorer some site when you can download it are accessible fro UAE .. i did it ..check google.Go to proxiysetting in skype.
Set HTTPS settings as from Explorer after Ghostsurf installation..and le voilà le monopoliste ce fotu!!
What a feeling!!

Hi there, I just downloaded that ghost thing. It appears to work nicely, since I managed to enter sites that I wasn't able before.
Skype still didn't work though. Could you enlighten me on the proxy settings from Explorer?

Eddie_699
18th Aug 2006, 16:14
Hiya Lads

Been trying to sign in and still the same S:mad: :mad: :mad: ....

I had few problems with msn messenger, I Hope its just msn thingy and not EATSLUT.

The two reasons why I think why they blocked SKYPE ... FIRST is to make more money out of you there... there you go International calls, local calls and E-Vision all you are paying is to one company and which is owned by the Goverment..... SECOND... to allow them to monitor all the phone calls abroad without the need for a warrant. (Why do they need a warrant... they can do what ever they want to do)....

I've been thinking seriously to leave UAE. Its seems its just getting worse...

emailme
18th Aug 2006, 16:39
Some are having trouble dowloading Ipig so I set up another link. http://mediamax.streamload.com/emailjunkman/Hosted/ipig-setup.exe

futr-kofeshop-dweler
18th Aug 2006, 18:43
I have been using megaproxy to browse the internet, so when I go to internet explorer, I have to log in on a special website, and the I can browse. Does anyone here know how I can get skype to use those settings when it connects to the internet, so that I can use it?

Thanks guys, etislut licks balls

Climb FL380
19th Aug 2006, 03:59
Does anybody have a solution to get Skype back running?
Is there a anonymizer software which works?

maddog62
19th Aug 2006, 05:43
Hi guys,

anybody knows a good anonymizer for mac?

Jap works just fine for my pc.....Skype works a little slower, expecially when calling mobiles....ok with landline.....

mad

maddog62
19th Aug 2006, 05:50
Hi guys,
anybody knows a good anonymizer for mac?

mad

Sorry guys....just found out there's Jap for mac as well:8 .

I'll download it on my next trip...

Chow,
mad

Cyberbird
19th Aug 2006, 06:15
Skype won't work with some normal "anonymizer" solution, as these programs just mask your own and the selected IP-addresses - of those pages you want to access -
however they don't mask that Skype generated traffic, which can obviously be still detected, and consecutively blocked by those Etisluts "Snipers" and "Guardians" (used to be angels - right?) ... at least, that's what they thought-
as there's a smart solution to unblock Your Skype again:
what You need is a "Tunelling" software-solution, such as "JAP" -
http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
that works just fine again in Dubai outsmarting Etisluts blocking attempt-
however rendered slightly slower (barely noticable) than normal, but basically running okay now!
You have to get You the latest "Developer-Version 05.337" - which brings up your Skype again to reasonable speed ...
there's one glitch though...
Antivirus-Packages like Norton Anti-Virus detect those JAP-tunneled traffic correctly as "a possibly harmful worm" (which it is in deed, a worm, not harmful) and issue a warning, and consecutively tries to block that tunneled Skype traffic;
therefore You must either shut down Your Norton-AV whilst using it - or explicitically allow thatJAP-program in the Anti-Virus settings, which works fine with Norton now - again after some fiddling;;)
it's probably all together 1-2 hours fiddling with the PC - but it's worth it;
had yesterday an hour or so phone call to mates in australia for some merely 60 cents !!:}
and by the way, you can top up your Skype credits via your normal browser as well (you need to set Your http-üroxy to 127.0.0.1 and the port to 4001 to communicate masked), as JAP is also masking the browser traffic, therefore You can reach the "normal" Skype websites - and others as weel ... :\

jack schidt
19th Aug 2006, 06:50
Can I just ask if anyone who has a problem with skype has downloaded and been sucessful with callserve. I believe a least 2 budies are running callserve fine and can't get skype up, c'est voila. I believe that they email the odd patch to continue to avoid the proxy settings problems that arise. If any of those suffering the skype blockage do get callserve up then theres your answer to all your problems stated here.

S-etarime
19th Aug 2006, 08:01
Thanks Cyber...have installed JAP on the PC and Mac, both running flawlessy, and Skype is back in business! JAP is the real deal folks...easy to install too!
:D

badger_uae
19th Aug 2006, 09:20
Hi all,

I have just spent several hours researching ways of avoiding the block recently put on Skype by Etisalat, and came accross you guys who really seem as though you have found a way. I have tried various options already (installing privoxy, using another proxy server etc,) but all to no avail.

I couldn't find a site where I could download JAP (which Etisalat hadn't already blocked! :* )

If anyone of you has the patience to drop me an email with suggestions - or, of course, post them here for all to see and follow - then I would be eternally grateful!!

Thanks,
-- a 'cut-off-from-home' desperate guy --

Trust
19th Aug 2006, 09:50
For those that are using Jap, please tell us what version you are using, is it the free version from Jap?
Is it just a question of activating Jap plus the browser? Do you also have to change the proxy in the Skype phone?

outhouse
19th Aug 2006, 11:11
You can get the free trial of the following program by sending a e mail to [email protected] and putting the word FREE in the subject line. You should then receive the exe file. Make sure your email can handle the incoming attachment. Install and configure the file you receive, instructions provided in the download.

it may help??

FLAMEOUT
19th Aug 2006, 12:12
Cyberbird
looking at the jap website I cannot see a link to download the Developer Version
Can you post a link to it please?
thanks

nitro rig driver
19th Aug 2006, 12:24
Although not based in dxb yet but will be next month so preparing myself.
just downloaded jap and all seems ok with skype however web pages now take 5 mins to load
used jap version 05.022 and very latest version of skype.
setup for OL mentions deactivating "active content"
how do you do that then-have looked thru tools and not there
OE is working all ok and at normal speed

have i missed something real obvious
cheers in advance

AP engage
19th Aug 2006, 12:36
Official release. Version: 2.5.0.137. Release date: August 16, 2006

Hi all, for all of you who can use it...

Enjoy...

Need anything else, just let me know ;-)))

http://files.to/get/180711/44334/SkypeSetup.exe (http://files.to/get/180711/44334/SkypeSetup.exe)

Marc

chinny
19th Aug 2006, 15:48
:oh: could some one e-mail me a copy of JAP or TOR please.have tried just about all avenues to down load them but the slags are blockling them all.:* :* :*
Some one please help:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

cc
VTSP

chinny
19th Aug 2006, 16:52
oooooooooooogh:rolleyes:

6-String
19th Aug 2006, 17:11
Wonder why he calls himself Brownose? Brown Tongue is more like it! :cool:

wingletflyer
19th Aug 2006, 18:13
Try the following VOIP providers. They might work. They are better and cheaper than Skype ( and some countries are free)

http://www.voipbuster.com

http://www.voipstunt.com

nicuk
19th Aug 2006, 18:38
Hey... guys just to let you know Skype for me has been working fine all the time.... on SZ rd.. No problems at all....

I did hear the chit chat saying it was blocked and see its now true with this thread. Also on the gossip network, they plan on fines of 35,000 DHS, anyone else hear this?? Also found a different tale of Etislat allowing customers the use of another Telco.:confused:

Its strange how its not affecting everyone. Cant work it out. Are they targeting who they block:hmm:

And some advice from me.. try using a different VOIP's not just one.. A Selection;)

BTW... Found that Yahoo Voice is blocked.
Never mind on to the next VOIP.. Good luck everyone

stratocumulus
19th Aug 2006, 21:01
Thanx mate.....VoIPstunt works just fine.....connected to the world:but for how long?

Climb FL380
20th Aug 2006, 00:18
Hi Cyberbird

I've installed JAP 05.022

Can you give me some tipps how to configure JAP to getmy
Skype back online.

Andy

there's a smart solution to unblock Your Skype again:
what You need is a "Tunelling" software-solution, such as "JAP" -
http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
that works just fine again in Dubai outsmarting Etisluts blocking attempt-
however rendered slightly slower (barely noticable) than normal, but basically running okay now!
You have to get You the latest "Developer-Version 05.337" - which brings up your Skype again to reasonable speed ...
there's one glitch though...
Antivirus-Packages like Norton Anti-Virus detect those JAP-tunneled traffic correctly as "a possibly harmful worm" (which it is in deed, a worm, not harmful) and issue a warning, and consecutively tries to block that tunneled Skype traffic;
therefore You must either shut down Your Norton-AV whilst using it - or explicitically allow thatJAP-program in the Anti-Virus settings, which works fine with Norton now - again after some fiddling;;):\

Fart Master
20th Aug 2006, 04:47
I have that version and it is still blocked

efleming
20th Aug 2006, 06:26
is it just me or is e-tit-salad blocking every site that have been posted on this subject.....

for info i got the latest version of Sykpe & it's still blocked..... i'm out in mirdiff.........will try ghost suf tonite to see what gives.....

i head that VOIP Stunt don't connect....can anyone confirm ?????

Bumz_Rush
20th Aug 2006, 07:39
I have just tried to down load the latest Skype, as the previous version would not support my web cam. trust 120 space cam.

Was forced to system restore....

First system resore for real....

Bumz

chinny
20th Aug 2006, 09:14
Hi emailme,
Tried to pm u but that wont go thru for some reason:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Thanks for sending me that.got it down loaded ok.
it wont connect.my skype still not connecting either.
any other ideas
cheers chinny
VTSP

Climb FL380
20th Aug 2006, 10:41
I got my skpye back working. You have to use Primedius WebTunnel.
I'm using the purchased version for $99. I'm not sure if the trial version
is really working - but it should.

a) Get the free trial by writing to unblock @primedius.com and putting
the word FREE in the subject line. You will receive the exe file. Install
the file (software) you receive.

b) The first time you start WebTunnel application, you will be promted
for an email address. Be sure to provide correct spelling of email. You
will then receive an activation code to that email address.

c) Deactivate your Firewall or allow WebTunnel in your Firewall

d) Reboot and login

c) Configure your WebTunnel settings (Self explanatory)

d) Configure your Skype Settings that it uses the WebTunnel
(SOCKS 4 or SOCKS 5)

The SOCKS Settings are:
SOCKS Ver: SOCKS 4 or SOCKS 5
Hostname: localhost
Port: 8999

Thats it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
When everithing is installed. In short, the flow to connect to Skype is
following:

1. Deactivate your Firewall
2. Launch your WebTunnel Software
3. Launch Skype

Basic knowledge: Every browser or Softphone you are using you must tell
(how) to use the "WebTunnel".

If you are using the WebTunnel with IE or Firefox you have access to all
blocked Websites here in the UAE.

IE Settings: Extras > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings
Click Settings and Tick “Use Automatic Coniguration Script”
and write the location of the script on your computer
(for expl file://D\PRIMED~1\Primedius.pac)

Firefox Settings: Tools > Options > General > Connection Settings
Tick “Automatic Proxy Configuration URL” and write the
location of the script on your computer
(for expl file://D\PRIMED~1\Primedius.pac)

chinny
20th Aug 2006, 11:22
what program do you open it with?????

cc
VTSP

Fox3snapshot
20th Aug 2006, 11:51
You have to rename the file to: .exe and it will execute itself. I am still giving it a go. Good luck with it, we must persevere with this. :ok:

chinny
20th Aug 2006, 12:41
rename it to RENAME .EXE that gets it.......however, it completely corrupted my system-could not log on at all, so if you find the idiots guide i would appreciate it:hmm: i sure am not going to give up yet:{ :{ :{
cc
VTSP

outhouse
20th Aug 2006, 13:36
Please follow the instructions given in both e mails you receive. Also advice given by FL 380. As indicated Rename transferred to Desk Top file to (.EXE) and install. GET activation key by e mail enter and reboot before re-connecting to internet.
The free version will work but may be spasmodic in operation if the number of host computers is low. They act as proxy servers and can handle only so much traffic I understand, so it could be in your interest to think about registering to allow faster rates.
The system will work and the company will respond to e mail with fixes and help if required.
outhouse

Fox3snapshot
20th Aug 2006, 15:31
You little ripper....it works!!!! After a few frustrating attempts I finally got it working using the primedius software so thanks heaps guys for that very useful thread. :ok: :D

Now to catch up with the world before they manage to trash us on this option too.

Happy Skyping!

;)

chinny
20th Aug 2006, 16:08
aaaaarrrrghhh:{ :{ :{

Fox3snapshot
20th Aug 2006, 17:05
Bit hit and miss though, may have to take the full subscription for a better service....:bored:

outhouse
20th Aug 2006, 17:23
Know how you feel chinny, but it will get better!

Bezi l
21st Aug 2006, 06:39
I'm having the same problem, speaking to another colleague of mine who also lives in AUH, he seems to think that the only people effected by this are people who have also got landlines from Etisalat. Is that the case here??? I have a landline, am in AUH and cannot access Skype through the ADSL, however, my colleague, in AUH and NO landline, has no problem!!!!!! Robbers!!!!

Anyway, I have been following this thread with great interest, and I have found FANTASTIC success with HotSpotVPN ( www.hotspotvpn.com ) . It does cost though, and really not that much. I've tried a week for $6.99 and it works like a dream, is the easiest thing to set up, and acts like a dial up once you are already connected, and you can access all of the "blocked" sites from Etisalat. A full years subscription costs around $130, and you can pay per month from $10. Simple, easy to use, and IMHO, worth the money!!!

Good Luck, and happy Skype-ing.

outhouse
21st Aug 2006, 12:17
https://sales.hotspotvpn.com/order_v2.asp

The above address is the direct to purchase system page, it may help sec 3.

chinny
21st Aug 2006, 12:45
:suspect: the muppets have now blocked primedius on my end.couldnt get it to work???

any other suggestions-tried hotspan thing that blocked too!!!:(

cc
VTSP

jack schidt
21st Aug 2006, 13:15
Just thought that it may be illegal to use VOIP if you are a Etislut user, but does the law stop you using other internet service providers? What about internet city they aren't blocked on sites. What about those who have used DSTV satellite services, no one really seems to crack down on that.
From this page "quote"
This web site is here to promote legitimate, satellite internet for people in all locations, who are unable to gain access using ADSL or cable modems. Satellite internet dishes are an alternative and provide independent small-dish two-way high-speed broadband via satellite internet access from anywhere except the extreme polar regions.
http://www.satsig.net
There is the service and here is the box.
http://www.satsig.net/viasat-linkstar-4ptext.htm
There are other sat boxes too, but that is one of the leaders in its field. Its your box and you can take it with you when you go and then continue your service. Most 60cm sat dishes will receive the signal and the setup would be easy as all the information is given.
In a world of modern commercialism, competition brings fairness to the customer IF THE CUSTOMER HAS A CHOICE, YOU HAVE NOW!:rolleyes:

outhouse
21st Aug 2006, 14:03
Sitting in France on my deck enjoying a glass of red wine looking over the green field’s trees, and the fish coming to the surface in the lake, the afternoon sun just reflecting off my computer screen, with free access to the internet and no censorship.
The expectation of a really superb meal at the local hostelry the welcoming smile and finding your usual tipple ready for you on arrival without asking, this outing later this evening makes me very satisfied that I am at home again. Away from the mindless brain dead attitudes that prevail in some areas of the world that profess to be living in the same century.
The childish efforts in control exhibited by your internet supplier indicated in this thread show how truly child like they really are. I wish you all luck in maintaining uninterrupted connection and will continue to try and find ways through the censorship barrier.
outhouse

lup
21st Aug 2006, 14:19
Hi Guys and girls,
I left the Uneducated Arab Enclaves Many years ago, infact I was one of the first to get internet in Dubai and it was no different then.
The latest thing in those days was "Net2Phone" It took about three weeks for them to block that one,so they have had experience of this before.

I got around it then by joining AOL in the UK,then signing on through my Etislat account,I could then reach out to the real world through the net.
Jack schidt has the best Idea, get yourself a dish, That will really screw them up aswell as loose millions in income.
You can sell your equipment and connection when you leave.
You may even make a profit reselling it when they ban them,don't get angry get even!!

I left because I had a gut full, you are living on a thin vaneer of civilisasion where there are two sets of rules.
What sort of people are in charge of you, well it would only take a couple of bombs to get people to pull the pin out there, so ask yourself why there have never been any!!!!

I am supprised they have not closed down 7 days yet, but it will come, no democracy where you are.

keep smiling

Eddie_699
21st Aug 2006, 16:32
Lads

It seems any website you mention here its just getting blocked by EtiSLUT...

Best example ... http://www.ghostsurf-pro.com/ has been blocked already today.. even though I checked their website this morning and it wasn't blocked.

Its like telling them. Guys these websites are open come on and blocked them.

From now on I will just PM all you Guys here. Just post the informations with out mentioning the full products names or websites.. and then just PM for more informations.

Welcome to the 21 century and buy a new apartment in Dubai or Abu Dhabi..... Sorry Mate .. PLZ repeat that again.. no way.. I Ain't dreaming.

AirNoServicesAustralia
21st Aug 2006, 16:43
If you go through this website, you can get skype to work. It's amazing, and you would never expect it. Etisilat please don't block this website as it is our last and only hope!!!

www.government.ae/gov/en/gov/federal/moic.jsp

Cheers ;)

chinny
21st Aug 2006, 17:02
Lmao:d :d :d

emailme
21st Aug 2006, 20:52
How about setting up a ipig server on your end so others in censorship hell can at least skype. Your internet is free The ipig software is free and maybe you can make a buck in the mean time. I posted a link to the website. It's very easy to use. Ipig service is free but their server goes down sometimes. Spread around the enlightenment if you can.

Quokka
22nd Aug 2006, 02:01
... is Skype blocked in Oman?

outhouse
22nd Aug 2006, 03:01
Knowing the sneaky B***ds from experience the same thing was going through my mind as well. Will PM any new info in future. If you PM the link “emailme” I will investigate.
Has any one e mailed the Webtunnel boys yet regarding a new tunnel access? Advice, don’t forget to ensure your IP address is hidden when using it and similar programs, they can track traffic with it.
outhouse

chinny
22nd Aug 2006, 05:31
:sad: after all this grief and hassle with skype not working -trying to download this and that-and failing on my end- i went to skype and logged straight in this morning-no hassle ,no hotspot, no primedius, no iPig, nothing.:confused: :confused: :confused:
So what gives-i could even buy credit on it which couldnt before.Is this a small worm hole that will close and not re-open for another 1000 years.The onlt thing that i have not changed is local host and port on skype???

well cant complain whilst its working.toodle pip.

cc
VTSP:ok:

what_goes_up
22nd Aug 2006, 09:50
Skype logs in again but I am unable to establish a connection for a phone call on a landline. Anybody with the same problem?
And gone again :{ :{ :{ :{

Climb FL380
22nd Aug 2006, 10:12
Primedius.com writes

Rest assured we can enable your access at anytime and from anywhere. You cannot be traced or monitored by anyone.

Users in restrictive countries like Iran, China, Myanmar and most of the Persian Gulf region can use our ANTI-Blocking system to bypass filters and firewalls. This requires a bit of configuring and instructions are as follows:

1- You can get the free trial by writing to [email protected] and putting the word FREE in the subject line. You will receive the exe file. Make sure your email can handle the incoming attachment. Install and configure the file you receive.

2-The first time you start WebTunnel application, you will be promted for an email address. Be sure to provide correct spelling of email. You will then receive an activation code to that email address.

3-Configuration instructions: Proper configuration is important to proper function. Please make sure:
*Firewall must 'allow' WebTunnel
*non-WebTunnel popup/ad blockers turned off
*Configure proxy (if you have one)
*Reboot and login
*In WebTunnel setting (accessible via task bar con), set network and peer
settings for your specific setup.
*See support section for more help and fine tuning

Send an email to [email protected] with the word unblock in the subject line and follow the instructions you will receive to your email. Repeat and refresh as often as needed.

If email communication fails, do not worry we can provide more alternatives. Just ask us by writing to [email protected]

you a believer in democracy, free speech, and free access to information? Unfortunately, some countries/governments, ISPs, corporations heavily censor and monitor their internet traffic.

For users in such restrictive environments we have in place a powerful new technology called The Primedius Peer Network. The Primedius Peer Network is a network of computers running the Primedius WebTunnel Application (completely free). It allows users in blocked countries and blocked network environments to connect to Primedius servers through a volunteer peer.

If you have friends and family in other countries/locations who have total access to the internet and relatively high speed internet connections, then you can ask them to help you out and run our FREE peer application. The more peers we have running, the harder it will be for your country/corporate to block you, and the easier it will be for blocked users to connect and surf. So ask and tell as many friends/family as you can!

S-etarime
22nd Aug 2006, 10:21
Follow this link to sign a petition to (hopefully) get our Skype and Vonage back, or whoever WE choose to use for VOIP!
www.petitiononline.com/uaevoip

Fox3snapshot
22nd Aug 2006, 10:42
Great stuff, but the author must realize that the UAE is not just Dubai :rolleyes:

Lets hope we can make some progress on this one :ugh:

AirNoServicesAustralia
22nd Aug 2006, 12:43
Nup mine just sits there trying to sign in forever but to no avail. I will keep using that other VOIP I use that I won't mention on here cos it still works.:ok:

Speedbrake Lever
22nd Aug 2006, 14:24
Well i've never used Skype

but another voip it was blocked in UAE but within 2 days the provider issued us all with a zip

which beat the block by our buddies in Etisalat

It works fine all the time

tried just now and yeap its working

i don't know the Skype charges but all of them surely charge just a little

i know a few others here in AUH hence must also be UAE who use others and it works for them too

SL

Speedy66
22nd Aug 2006, 15:06
thank you for the petition i hope more people will stand with us

Speedy66
22nd Aug 2006, 15:28
Just thought that it may be illegal to use VOIP if you are a Etislut user, but does the law stop you using other internet service providers? What about internet city they aren't blocked on sites. What about those who have used DSTV satellite services, no one really seems to crack down on that.
From this page "quote"
This web site is here to promote legitimate, satellite internet for people in all locations, who are unable to gain access using ADSL or cable modems. Satellite internet dishes are an alternative and provide independent small-dish two-way high-speed broadband via satellite internet access from anywhere except the extreme polar regions.
http://www.satsig.net
There is the service and here is the box.
http://www.satsig.net/viasat-linkstar-4ptext.htm
There are other sat boxes too, but that is one of the leaders in its field. Its your box and you can take it with you when you go and then continue your service. Most 60cm sat dishes will receive the signal and the setup would be easy as all the information is given.
In a world of modern commercialism, competition brings fairness to the customer IF THE CUSTOMER HAS A CHOICE, YOU HAVE NOW!:rolleyes:

if u want to have sat internet u need permission from etisalat :*

Speedy66
22nd Aug 2006, 16:32
Thank you every one for the all information you shared over site fourm

for all of you who use s*ype i hope that we can have back our s*ype

by exchanging the information here

i will try the WebTunnel tonight

a bout the jab i cant download it even i was useing Propel Acceleration program it's good program to open some of the blocked websites
but it didnt work for s*ype site coz it's accelration program in the first place .

thank you again all of you

emailme
23rd Aug 2006, 02:48
Hey everyone go to your pprune profile and ad your skype username It'll show your skype availibility. Providing whatever nation you in is still blocking you. If you can skype me I'll send you whatever software I can (tor ipig hamachi etc) just let me know I'll do me best to help you.
Your skype availability shows up under your username to the left of your post it's a great idea

iaf_22
23rd Aug 2006, 03:48
Hi all,
here are links working in UAE, to download some files u would like.
(when u click on the link, click on 'FREE' button bottom of the page, and you will have the download link).

Skype V.2.5.0.137 (16 Aug 2006) : http://rapidshare.de/files/30417499/SkypeSetup.exe

JAP (Full installation): http://rapidshare.de/files/30417497/japsetup.exe

Lil Bro
23rd Aug 2006, 05:34
anyone ever try vonage?

Speedy66
23rd Aug 2006, 06:42
vonage site is blocked long time ago

Speedy66
23rd Aug 2006, 07:02
thank you iaf_22 for uploaing the programs

i hope u will use some ather website coz in this one it's hard to download it

try this http://www.rapidupload.com/
http://www.up4world.com/

Speedy66
23rd Aug 2006, 09:59
to every one who tryed web tunnel skype didnt work with me using the free trail of this program ?
am not sure if i buy full it will work !!!
any advice
how to use Tor ?
and how to use hamachi and ipig
any one succes loging in skype using them ??

puff m'call
23rd Aug 2006, 14:43
Just to let you know, today I loaded a "private Internet Gateway" and Skype works fine. :ok:

I'm sure we can all keep one step ahead of the money grabbing sods.

Today in 7 days "they" said that one of the reasons VOIP is banned because of national security! :ugh: ye right.

Good luck, happy Skyping

puff.

Eddie_699
23rd Aug 2006, 16:22
Just tried to sign in into SKYPE. and from the first try. it worked after many tries for many days and now my Laptop is just going to be on and I will not sign out until the 31st of this month. NEXT month is my annual leave.

ETI-SLUT... come and lick my Black Balls.....

... PUFF m'CALL ....

Tell me what is private internet Gateway and how can I make it work ????

.... Emalime...

skype availability is under my username already... Check your Skype messages PLZ...

HAPPY SKYPING....

HAPPY SKYPING....

AirNoServicesAustralia
23rd Aug 2006, 17:06
I will second that, I have not been able to sign in since all this started but tonight I tried to sign in and am able to. Looks like all the pressure on Etisilat paid off. Well done everyone :D

GTR-34
23rd Aug 2006, 19:17
Just got back from flt and managed to sign in!!!:ok: Hope this goodnews will last!!And i DEFINATELY not signing out till i receive futher news....phew!!!

Speedy66
23rd Aug 2006, 20:56
this is the ipig program private Internet Gatewayhttp://www11.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=26224 (http://www11.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=26224)

Defenestrator
23rd Aug 2006, 21:05
Bare in mind guys that you can beat any filter, block, etc with a proxy server. They're dirt cheap and beat the F@#$ers at they're own game. Mail me if you need a www. Won't post it here as I'm sure it's being monitored.
D:ok:

Speedy66
23rd Aug 2006, 21:58
ipig or private Internet Gateway

can make skype online thanks to puff m'call
alsow i can log in skype site and i cant Top Up my account

but i have problem
1- i cant see my contact list
2- i cant see how much money i stell have .
3- i cant make Pc to phone call

am i alone having this problems or some one else do ?
any ather program can help ??????

Eddie_699
23rd Aug 2006, 22:20
I'm here in Abu Dhabi. Couldn't sign in for so many days but this evening is diffrent. I Can sign in and out at any time. I Don't have any problems at all. But I better to do not sign out at all from now.

ETI-SLUT... come and lick my black balls.

Happy SKYPING..

Waynesawa
24th Aug 2006, 03:21
Guys,
1st of all this is a public forum, and even though we may not like the guys in Eti*****, they are not dumb. They may be reading all the threads in this forum for all we know. Thus why all related sites posted in this forum are slowly but surely getting blocked, eventually when this forum doesn't serve them any purpose in info gathering anymore, it too will be blocked/banned. I would suggest we revert to our private online mailing groups, but then again we still pass the info thru their wires thus making it possible for interception. Let us not forget guys got in trouble just by discussing banned ideas thru the phone. I'm not trying to be paranoid, just a word of caution, best circulate our info by word of mouth face to face. In times of desperation, remember that we are still on their land. There are more stuff best left unsaid here. Cheers and happy brainstorming.

chandlers dad
24th Aug 2006, 04:00
Guys,
1st of all this is a public forum, and even though we may not like the guys in Eti*****, they are not dumb. They may be reading all the threads in this forum for all we know. Thus why all related sites posted in this forum are slowly but surely getting blocked, eventually when this forum doesn't serve them any purpose in info gathering anymore, it too will be blocked/banned. I would suggest we revert to our private online mailing groups, but then again we still pass the info thru their wires thus making it possible for interception.

Let us not forget guys got in trouble just by discussing banned ideas thru the phone. I'm not trying to be paranoid, just a word of caution, best circulate our info by word of mouth face to face.

In times of desperation, remember that we are still on their land. There are more stuff best left unsaid here, if anybody needs any help, my handle name is clear, don't know much but will try and help where I can. Cheers and happy brainstorming.

The above post brings up a very good point. When I was based in Saudi my wife became friends with some other expats there. As she was German she met several German families.

One of them worked for Siemans, the German electronics firm that had a contract with Saudi Telecom. After we got to know each other a bit, the husband pulled me aside and volunteered some very interesting information.

He told me to be very careful when talking on the telephone in-country. It seems that he was brought in on a special project in the country. EVERY phone call in the country was scheduled to be monitored by a new computerized system. At this time it was in the early 90s and just starting up from what he said. By the time I headed out for good in 1997 he said that the program was totally operational in the major cities and they were working on the outlying towns.

What they would do is to develop a voice recognition program that hit on certain words, like "bomb, church, whiskey" and so on that the Saudi's specified. For a short duration every call would be recorded and if the computer pegged a certain call as containing something on the list, then a person would listen to the recording of the call. If the callers were indeed talking about something that was suspicious, then it was given to the local police and Mutawa. They then went to the house where the call came from and paid the occupants a visit. The outcome could be very difficult.

If the Saudi's can do it in the 90's, then the other countries in the area probably have it by now. That may be why some people have been busted after talking on the telephone. You are not being paranoid, as this is probably a reality in many ME countries these days. Watch what you say on a phone!

Skype, for those of you who do not know this, is digitally encoded so that no one can listen to your conversations. This is my gut feeling why the locals are blocking Skype as they are paranoid and want to listen to your calls.

As a funny aside, a friend of mine emailed me recently a link to several websites. I looked at them and had to chuckle. Seems that the "houses of ill repute" so to speak, are now using Skype to contact "prospective customers" instead of the normal telephone. Seems that they have figured out that the police cannot tap a Skype call and thus they can talk all they want without worrying about being busted.

outhouse
24th Aug 2006, 12:50
Most ME countries I think actively monitor voice and internet activity, mobile phone location (as long as it’s switched on) can be traced to within yards. The land line is an open book to anyone who wants to spend the time and cash to set systems up.
Never connected to the internet without a program like Privoxy or Real Tunnel (sites already blocked) hiding your IP address or private e mail being encrypted if you want privacy, always keep good firewalls in place.
I had no particular problem personally, once I had suspicions this was happening I started using security based software, probably to no avail but it gave a feel good factor and the annoying security alarms when surfing indicated activity.

outhouse

outhouse
24th Aug 2006, 13:44
Enjoying a glass of Red this evening, I answered a request to fill in a Sky News Panel Survey, Video clips. Anyway I decided to send them an e mail regarding the web Censorship in the ME. Maybe if enough of you sent in mail it could bring the subject to a level worthy of mention. Address
'[email protected]'
Outhouse

Speedy66
24th Aug 2006, 14:42
sk*pe has new version now but it cant beat ETISALAT

for who cant download it from the site
http://fs3.filehippo.com/5514/bf27e9...SkypeSetup.exe (http://fs3.filehippo.com/5514/bf27e9...SkypeSetup.exe)

and another one but u have to rename it after u download it ( skype.exe )
http://www.badongo.com/file/1284283 (http://www.badongo.com/file/1284283)

emailme
24th Aug 2006, 16:59
One thing I've noticed is that when something happens like what went on in the UK last week it seems to affect the internet. Where I'm at currently it seems to slow down considerably. To look at skype from a security stand point the authorities must hate it. I know for a fact my Isp filters packets. Sad it's a different world than what it used to be.
[CENTER]

http://jyvetools.jyve.com/skypeme.gif (skype:emailjunkman)http://jyvetools.jyve.com/IMTO.gif (skype:emailjunkman?chat) http://jyvetools.jyve.com/skypeprofile.gif (skype:emailjunkman?userinfo) http://jyvetools.jyve.com/addcontact.gif (skype:emailjunkman?add) http://jyvetools.jyve.com/createchat.gif (skype:Jyve02;Jyve03?chat)

If anyone needs blocked software pm me or skype me if you can.

L1011
25th Aug 2006, 13:16
Guys,

There are plenty of services out there that still work. None as good and user-friendly as Skype, but they will suffice. If you need help PM me.

If Etislut tries to block each and every one of these, they will eventually reach a point that their servers are clogged up with junk.

Hopefully one of the smarter guys will get the web-tunnelling stuff sorted soon anyway.

Never give up, freedom of communication will prevail eventually!:ok:

hell.kelpie
25th Aug 2006, 13:57
My VOIP is still working. Word is they haven't yet managed to block cable modems, although ADSL accounts - via phone line - seem to be fully blocked.

Further word is that cable modems are no longer available from Etisl*t. So once my cable modem dies, I'll have to change to a DSL account - AND get a home phone line which I really don't want.

H
*add coarse language here*

nicuk
25th Aug 2006, 15:07
Some non cable modems are still working on Skype right on sz Road. A possbile fixit would be to unistall skype and re-install it on a layover.

I dont understand how they can block one person and someone else in the building with the SAME modem can use it!! I guess it has to be a targeted block somehow..

Skype still works for me BTW.

Another possible fixit would be::

Left click your internet connection in the SYSTRAY on the bottom left hand side.

Hightlight Status & Click

Click Properties

Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Make a written note of all number there!!!!

Then click Obtain an IP address automatically

Obtain DNS address automatically

OK

see if this works... also perform a virus scan and make sure you have a decent firewall.

The guys I know who can still use Skype are using the latest version and have fantastic internet security.

It simply does not add up how some can and some can't!!!

Good luck everyone... please post a reply if it worked or was a complete waste of time.

TangoUniform
25th Aug 2006, 15:58
New on the forum, so hello all. Here's one. I use both Skype and Yahoo, voice. During the day, neither work. Can't find any way around it. For the last several nights, after 1700 both work fine and clear. Any clues to that? Then the next day-same same. Must have something to do with solar flares or moon dust.
TU

emailme
25th Aug 2006, 16:50
I was wondering why Ipig was running so lousy

From iopus ipigs website

If you created an account after August 25, 2006 you can ignore this post:

In order to improve the reliability and speed of our public iPig servers (V1.02) we made some changes to the server.
The changes require every user that created her/his account before August 25, 2006 to create a new account at
http://ipig.iopus.com/ipig/home/NewAccount.aspx.

We apologise for the inconvenience, but please note that this change is also to your benefit. In addition, every new user account starts again with a new bandwidth of 5GB http://forum.iopus.com/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

If you run your own iPig server, this change does not affect you. iPig is the only zero-configuration VPN software that also includes a zero-configuration server. We highly recommend setting up your own iPig server: http://www.iopus.com/ipig/home/server/why.htm

http://jyvetools.jyve.com/skypeme.gif (skype:emailjunkman)http://jyvetools.jyve.com/IMTO.gif (skype:emailjunkman?chat) http://jyvetools.jyve.com/skypeprofile.gif (skype:emailjunkman?userinfo) http://jyvetools.jyve.com/addcontact.gif (skype:emailjunkman?add) http://jyvetools.jyve.com/createchat.gif (skype:Jyve02;Jyve03?chat)

(https://mozy.com/?ref=XLS348)

emailme
25th Aug 2006, 20:01
Ipig is running great is anyone else having any luck with it?

Get 2GB's of Free Secure File Storage (https://mozy.com/?ref=XLS348)

GTR-34
26th Aug 2006, 00:08
My Skype seems to be running fine now:) had not log out since i had it on the 23th night..I m using the Al-shamil AdsL..some friends have it in AuH too.

Nearjet
26th Aug 2006, 03:51
Thought I would try to log onto Skype this morning , and guess what ? I have that beautiul green tick on the bottom right hand corner of my screen !Life is good again !:ok:

Nil defects
26th Aug 2006, 03:54
Thank-you Etisalat for un-blocking VOIP. :)

Mine is also up and running normally again after being blocked for the last week. (in Dubai)

Nearjet
26th Aug 2006, 03:59
Sorry should have mentioned that I am in Umm Sequiem (Dubai)

Nil defects
26th Aug 2006, 06:26
I may have been slightly premature in my praise of Etisalat.

Skype is working but some of the other VOIP programs are unable to connect eg Callserve.

The Skype connection has also become unreliable. Log on is ok but not all calls are connecting - so something is still happening!

As they say in the Tech Log - "Pls report further"

gulfmidnightflier
26th Aug 2006, 07:16
Download the latest version of Sky** 2.5.0.141 it seems to be working perfectly.

Speedy66
26th Aug 2006, 07:56
to all who are able to make s*ype online any one managed to make PC to phone call ??

i could go online with s*ype bu i cant make pc to phone calls :confused:

i think the connection is very slow through free ipig any one try full payed version ????

Eddie_699
26th Aug 2006, 11:13
to all who are able to make skype online any one managed to make PC to phone call ??

i could go online with skype bu i cant make pc to phone calls :confused:

i think the connection is very slow through free ipig any one try full payed version ????

Hi Speedy66

Yes I managed to make few phone calls from PC to phone. I Don't use IPIG any more 'cause I dont have any problems logging into S*ype.

Why don't you try to IPIG ON and then when you are already connected and on line in S*ype.. Just IPIG OFF and don't forget to check the bottom right hand corner of your screen and then right click on IPIG sign right click and then shut off IPIG... 'cause you are already on line and don't need IPIG any more...

Yes IPIG does slow browsing websites as well.

Try this and waiting for your resaults.

Happy S*YPING and IPIGING as well

Cheerz

Speedy66
26th Aug 2006, 14:43
hi Eddie_699 lucky you while u stell using skype

when ever i turn ipgi off s*ype goes off with it coz s*ype use the host and the port of ipig

mandi kucing
27th Aug 2006, 05:45
VOIP is blocked again,both yahoo and skype(the latest update). Anybody else got the same problem?

Better get my cat showered...

popay
27th Aug 2006, 19:56
Hi fellows,
perhaps a little clarification technical wise wouldn't harm. One using ghost surf has two choices in terms of surfing the net; either Microsoft explorer or Mozzila (my personal choice). In case of explorer no need to do anything just adjust the level as you like. In case of mozzila one has to configure the connection settings as follow IP 127.0.01 port 7212. The setting should be anonymous. In case of JAP the same IP just change the port to 4001 and one can surf unrestricted. I personally find JAP to be the best solution though could be a bit slow sometimes. It does offer the forwarder option which is supposed to bypass the blockage by governmental providers.
Just thought it might help.
:ok: Cheers.

yardman
28th Aug 2006, 12:34
Skype just started working again. I didn't do any software fixes. The only thing I did was to 'quit skype' because I figured it was an unnecessary program to open when the computer was booting up. And lo and behold when I turned on the computer a few hours there it was. Skype has miraculously been raised from the dead!:D

Baas
28th Aug 2006, 15:31

Same here, got back today everything working...? :ugh:

Now what...?

Speedy66
28th Aug 2006, 18:00
s*ype is working back with me
with out any programs

miss petal
28th Aug 2006, 18:08
Mine still dead!

Sign in Error

Failed to sign in: unable to connect to Skype P2P network

Mac user, ADSL wireless... and no idea how to fix it!
Mine actually fine logged in until only 2 days ago when you guys are back online if I'm not mistaken.. coincidence probably..

Speedy66
28th Aug 2006, 22:48
I think all user wont have problem log in s*ype all over UAE
but we dont know why Etisalat did that

trick or treet :D
or we dont know :=

just enjoy it every one :ok:

Cyberbird
29th Aug 2006, 10:33
... well - looks like the Etisalat-muppets have brought up their barbwire once again - rendering my Skype logo to an ash-grey shade ...
time to start up my anonymizer - and - et Volia ! - a nice green tick in the Skype Box once again :ok:
just enjoyed an hour VOIP-call overseas in excellent quality as before -for merely som cents - beat that ;-)) :E

chinny
29th Aug 2006, 12:24
:ok: had mine for 3 whole days-got all calls up-to-date.....then last night:{ ,back to the waiting game i suppose:ugh:
cc
VTSP

TangoUniform
29th Aug 2006, 12:55
Mine as well totally T.U. Both Skype and Yahoo Voice. Haven't been able to log either for three days. These guys are not dumb. Lots of noise from expats, in the paper etc. Throw them a couple of days bone then block it again. So is everybody have the energy again to voice opinions in the 7 Days, sign petitions, or give up? Very frustrating and don't have hard core computer knowledge here to do a hard fix. Sort of like a Boeing guy going to an Airbus.

s_hanks
29th Aug 2006, 14:09
... well - looks like the Etisalat-muppets have brought up their barbwire once again - rendering my Skype logo to an ash-grey shade ...
time to start up my anonymizer - and - et Volia ! - a nice green tick in the Skype Box once again :ok:
just enjoyed an hour VOIP-call overseas in excellent quality as before -for merely som cents - beat that ;-)) :E

we just wanna skype pc2pc to our son who is settling down for undergrad studies in the US. can u pl enlighten us on this anonymizer solution.

Parents-in-anguishhttp://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons//icon8.gif

turtleneck
30th Aug 2006, 06:42
my way of beating uae's greedy and disgraceful dish-dash's: i call my kin with my handy, let it ring three times, then hang up. that means using etisalats infrastructure without paying them. then my folks call me back with the cheapest voip from our country. they call me on the landline, again we're using etisalat infrastructure without paying nothing.
my phonebill has gone down 280%, because i do not even give the short handy calls home i did before: same procedure, it takes a few seconds more, but it's utterly rewarding and nervesoothing.
if everyone does that, they might even feel it................

S-etarime
30th Aug 2006, 09:48
My JAP appears to be dead in the water. Anyone else have this problem? I have subsequently gone with h*tsp*tvpn and smooooth sailing.

turtleneck
30th Aug 2006, 12:48
didn't get the me-logic-irony did you?

NOMANSNEMESIS
30th Aug 2006, 12:58
Wake up all half baked dish-dash and Indians at Etisalat.

You hire us to work here because we are brighter than you, and you can't do our level of work on your own!

It may not surprise you that your ill thought out block on Skype took me only one hour of digging to bypass. Please also take note that my rules are simple, any failed login to Skype = one job application. If you think you might be adding to UAE profits by trying to make us use your landlines at 10X the current world normal international rate, I suggest you factor in the cost of the loss of one experienced airline Captain.

Keep on learning!!!

Trashed Aviator
30th Aug 2006, 14:59
More like hundreds of captains in the next 3 years..............:p

emailme
30th Aug 2006, 20:08
Okay You guys need to
1: download this It's called ipig or Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc).
or
2: Use Ipig (I hosted it for you in an earlier thread)
Have some one in a country other than the one your in or using a connection that isn't blocked host hamachi server or ipig server. There both so easy to use It's killing me to hear you guys having so much trouble. The Software is free.
Hamachi you just set up Internet connection sharing throuh windows linux mac. You'll have your own personal encrypted vpn anywhere in the world. and it's so easy to set up. Have a family member freind whoever host the hamachi for you. I don't think that anyone can block it. It'll take no more than ten minutes of your time and this bs will be over.

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Speedy66
31st Aug 2006, 08:10
Hi Emailme

thanks for the help
ipig cant work any more in here some how they mange to stop it from connection to the host and port .

with hamachi as u said i need some one out side U A E so u can
VPN through .

mostly people have relitive and friends out there but not all of them
have the experiance to host or use hamachi .

i tryed to search for hamachi free host and all i find was servers for games
i hope some one well make host for us

ernestkgann
31st Aug 2006, 08:25
emailme cx your pms please. could you give those of us who are idiots a bit of an idea how to configure himachi for skype use when we have it up and running
thanks

emailme
31st Aug 2006, 14:48
A Bunch of guys have pm'd me on Hamachi this may solve your probs and explain it better then I can

http://forums.hamachi.cc/viewtopic.php?t=3810

emailme
1st Sep 2006, 00:51
Just contacted someone thats more tech savy then me. The jist of it is that blocking skype is hard to do. He didn't say this but I'll bet that skype is trying to work the problem. Imagine losing marketshare in an entire region of the world. Thats alot of cash. Also recieved a pm that they've managed to block ipig is everyone having this problem? Has anyone tried to get skype working with tor? I've tried to configure it myself but i'm not sure if It'll work for any of you.

Speedy66
1st Sep 2006, 02:20
i treyed tor a week ago and didnt work

i think hamachi is very good to use but we need some one outside UAE to host us
i hope some one will make host that we can use and we could pay him through paypal, moneybookers ect

emailme
1st Sep 2006, 02:36
Hey Speedy I been considering setting up a system. But wouldn't it be better for you guys to go through hotspotvpn instead it's only about $6 us a month.
Are they blocking that too. Are there any other isp's in the region that won't censor you :ugh: .

Speedy66
1st Sep 2006, 03:53
site is blocked

emailme
1st Sep 2006, 20:25
If I could set up a system through hamachi How many people would be interested? Here's the deal can they block hamachi? Would you only want it just for skype or all around web surfing? The reason for the questions I'd be letting a whole lot of people surf on my connection and I'd have to have a commecial connection for bandwith concerns. Then the legality standpoint of having a whole bunch of people I don't know personaly surf on the connection. I'd have to come up with a user agreement. I think just skype wouldn't be a problem all around web surfing may be .

TangoUniform
1st Sep 2006, 21:00
Sounds interesting.

chinny
2nd Sep 2006, 05:03
dude.....tried to pm you but too much clutter in your box????

Hamachi-stick to skype-everyone will appreciate it.Go web and it goes wrong -they will desert you.:=

cc
VTSP

PITA
2nd Sep 2006, 05:20
I am intrested

PITA

dxbbusa
2nd Sep 2006, 07:24
For those who still have problems, try this it worked for me.:ok:

http://illuminati.wordpress.com/2006/08/24/howto-5-simple-steps-to-get-skype-working-again-in-the-uae/

Cyberbird
2nd Sep 2006, 11:28
Yeeeeah - Haaaawhhh! With either this or any other smart Proxy anonymizer my Skype still runs like a fiddle;
with the latest smart "refinements" about host computers overseas, i even enjoy now totally cost free (!) calls to the US! :E

The muppets of ETISLUt plus their useless "Sniper" attempts are nothing more that a blunt attempt on the smart FIRST world's IT-knowledge:ok:

RayGun
2nd Sep 2006, 12:14
Yeeeeah - Haaaawhhh! With either this or any other smart Proxy anonymizer my Skype still runs like a fiddle;
with the latest smart "refinements" about host computers overseas, i even enjoy now totally cost free (!) calls to the US! :E

The muppets of ETISLUt plus their useless "Sniper" attempts are nothing more that a blunt attempt on the smart FIRST world's IT-knowledge:ok:

Hi, So would be kind enough to share your success with me please, have just triend that latest idea with no joy

Thanks

Raygun

chinny
2nd Sep 2006, 12:17
downloaded all illuminati and yep logged on and connected fine-just cant talk to anyone-can hear them but they cant hear me-and the credit goes down.:sad: :sad: :bored:
cc
VTSP

L1011
2nd Sep 2006, 12:57
Thanks for all the help, all you smart(er) guys.

Unfortunately still having problems. Himachi seems to be blocked, found a thread that says if you have to go through a proxy it won't work.

Tried all the the steps in the Illuminati thread. Thanks for that dxbusa. Howver get a Fatal Error on privoxy "can't check configuration file Control Port 9051:error number 2"

Don't have a clue what that means:{

Off to have a few coldies and watch the rugby. If any of you guys have helpful suggestions, I would be very grateful.