PDA

View Full Version : Etisalat, Skype, UAE telecom issues

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Wizofoz
11th Mar 2007, 05:30
Anyone knows what happened and what I need to do to get it back to work?

What happened was Etisalat blocked it.

What you need to do is not mention work-arounds here as Etisalat reads this site and blocks sites mentioned!

chinny
12th Mar 2007, 04:49
Hi,
any 1 got a work around the etisl*ts block without using VPN?
Pse PM me.
ta
chinny
VTSP

Wiley
12th Mar 2007, 06:07
... and if anyone finds a way around, PLEASE don't - that's DON'T - post it here.

Gulfstreamaviator
12th Mar 2007, 06:13
Take next flight out.....bit dramatic buy always works for me.....
glf

ExSimGuy
12th Mar 2007, 18:37
SK----E is my primary method for not only communicating to family in UK and USA, but also for business.

I'm not in UAE, but quite close (!) and I have mostly great performance from it. I've found that it works for me in AUH and DXB, probably because of some other software that I have installed for another purpose (internet performance).

Can't guarantee that it allows access to the company's homepage (for making payments etc) but I never have problems with "blocked sites" where I live. It's something that was once offered as an "add-on" by Freeserve in UK, and I have been enhancing my speeds with it since then. (it's damned good at that too!)

It's not something that is sold in this part of the world,but I can pass a contact for the manufacturer to anyone who PMs me.

Costs $50 a year (or $5 a month), worth it just for the performance enhancement!

Gulf News
17th Mar 2007, 06:32
Changing the subject slightly. I have had several intrusion attemps and attacks on port 80 from IP address 87.201.183.96 in the last few days. DIC who are my ISP cannot ( wiill not ) shed any light on this. Has anyone else in U.A.E. ?

87 is a local IP is it Big Brother having a gander or something equally sinister.

5star
18th Mar 2007, 17:17
For those who consider buying izone... It blocks skype just as much as Eticrp does. :suspect: However --when it works-- most blocked sites can be accessed. :D
If anyone knows a good alternative to get skype working, please pm me.
5*

5star
18th Mar 2007, 18:17
It seems that the guys at eticrap got their grip on msngr. :yuk:
anyone experiencing the same problem?

ExSimGuy
20th Mar 2007, 17:37
Several people have contacted me about the matter that I posted recently.I have passed on the details to them. Not had any feedback on the results, either with Skype or with general performance.

I'd appreciate a PM from anyone in UAE to confirm that it's good, and I'll pass on the "contact" details for the system to anyone who PMs me.:ok:

uplock
20th Mar 2007, 18:53
5star I ZONE Did not work for me set up ok but message unable to logg into server.

ExSimGuy Have not yet tried what you recommended as it sounds much like izone

GoreTex
20th Mar 2007, 21:56
5*,
there are 26 pages how to make skype work, why don't you browse a few pages back?

whoateallthepies
21st Mar 2007, 11:35
omantel has managed to block my tunnel program from Holland. Could anyone PM me with info to beat the censorship here in this stone-age backwater?

Desert Nomad
28th Mar 2007, 05:46
Anyone experiencing the folowing problem:

Little green tick is on, you dial the number, then the connection goes to "trying to connect" and no connection is made. Have just downloaded the latest version thinking this might help get around this but that doesn't work.

what seems to be the most effective way of overcoming our friends Etislut? please PM with what you think.

Cheers

DN

4granted
30th Mar 2007, 17:44
Not sure how it works but it works absolutely fantastically !!
So with out jeopodising this find.. please PM me where I can post the the link for the solution to all our S£y*PE problems here in UAE. Free and 100% functional...
Best regards
4g:ok:

failed to add: Mac OS, Linux and XP

Sheikh Your Bootie
31st Mar 2007, 04:14
NEVER EVER post it here, this should stay private.

SyB :zzz:

Eddie_699
1st Apr 2007, 01:05
To all those who are posting their solutions here and how to make S*K*E work again ?

Just a question . WHY we dont post all our solutions in one page and then ask ETI-SALAD to come and block them all.

Please Lads nothing to mention here at all.

Cheers

Itswindyout
1st Apr 2007, 04:45
the ON green icon, needs to be reset, or it does for me....:go to file, to change on line status, click offline, then click ON line..this seems to reset soemthing somewhere somehow....please forgive this technical answer.

windy

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Apr 2007, 07:47
Now I have Etisasalats attention:

They have a new way of ripping you off, the service on the pre paid service, permits you to transfer funds between cards.

The last five times I have tried this four of them have been taken from my card credits, but never received on the other card, even when both phones switched on, and sitting next to each other.

Perhaps I shouild phone the customer service number on Skype, and try to resolve the problem....I have tried using my mobile but never getting put thru to a person who wishes to discuss the situation.

Glf

Nil defects
18th Apr 2007, 18:21
I also notice skype and all other messenger services seem to be blocked again.

Anyone else reporting the same.

:(

Gulfstreamaviator
21st Apr 2007, 03:46
Tried last night to transfer more funds between mobile.

No transfer, but funds taken........

Eventually spoke to the lack of service department technical division. Response: the server is being replaced,so allow 24 hours for any funds to be received.......

I assume that they do not bother to tell the valued customers, that the service is down, but just prepared to take the money, and hide.

Used to be called fraud, or even theft, but then I am only passing thru....

Glf

Wiley
21st Apr 2007, 04:51
Skype aside, is it just me, or have other happy Etisalat customers here noticed a slow to the point of almost hanging connection in their "high speed" broadband of late?

Alpha 6
21st Apr 2007, 06:27
I heard another telecompany will be opening soon, just forgot the name...I hope they will offer better service resulting to a good competition

Itswindyout
21st Apr 2007, 17:26
You are correct the broad band is slow, thursday night almost back wards....and with the mobile phone system backlog of funds transfers it is a pain in the but.

I am sitting in the shadow of their iconic HO in Dubai, and will try and get in tomorrow to ask the relevent questions, but suspect I know the answers....

Gillegan
29th Apr 2007, 11:31
Hey, did anyone else notice the EK Annual Report where they note the cost savings achieved by engineering by switching to VOIP for all their voice communications. It must have been a typo since VOIP is against the law in the UAE.

Keith Discovering
29th Apr 2007, 14:29
I spoke to a foreign phone Engineer who works here in DXB, and he says Etisalat actually have invested considerably in VOIP. 'Customers' think they're paying for using a normal phone line, when in fact they are routed through Etisalats VOIP cables.

That's why they're profits are so HUGE!

:hmm:

Itswindyout
29th Apr 2007, 19:54
What is illegal is using voip to contact NON UAE land line telephones.

VOIP betrween concenting computers is legal.

VOIP to a UAE landline is legal.

They are introducing there own VOIP service for their own consumers, not free I suspect....

windy

mr magic
3rd May 2007, 12:32
Does anyone know the cheapest way of calling landlines in DXB from the UK? I've been looking into it and seems as if it'll cost me an absolute mint to do this. There has been the issue of phone cards and voip providers but any recommendations from the guys out there with family in the UK?
Cheers!

lomo
3rd May 2007, 13:12
It seems the UAE will always be an expensive market to call into from places like the UK. We use msn messanger (computer-computer) video or voice calls which is reliable enough. Helps keep the cost of communication fixed without restriction on how often you use it.:ok:

chinny
9th May 2007, 15:03
any one out there working the green tick?

need some help-would appreciate a PM:ugh:

VTSP
chinny

chinny
11th May 2007, 07:38
....anybody ? :(

VTSP
chinny

outhouse
11th May 2007, 09:40
Being not buggered up my self by the seemingly small minded and normal to your location local providers of communication (phone and internet) and efforts by the state controlled provider to control all access to communication; I would suggest that you look at the wider picture.
Control and monitoring of the standard land and satellite phone lines is easy; the internet is not so easy, hence communication over the WWW is open and requires a degree of expertise and cooperation by the high players to maintain an overall and effective monitoring control.
Hence control and restrict internet based communication is an easy option. Restrict and control, I have monitored (And early on added some ideas) this Thread for some time and the classic trends are showing, monitor communication (this thread as one) respond with countermeasures, you chaps are not going to win using standard commercial fixes.
Sorry but that’s a fact of life, I would suggest that a more lateral method of thinking was adopted.
Outhouse.

chinny
11th May 2007, 13:22
Hope you enjoying a nice glass of wine. I have tried everything in the last 28 pages short of paying for a tunneller-which i think defies the point of Voip.
Stll no joy with the connection.

VTSP
chinny:ugh:

GoreTex
11th May 2007, 15:48
chinny,
too bad for you, a little investment would save you a zillion

chinny
12th May 2007, 04:50
Ok so which one s work and would come with recommendations-i am NOT a computer gheek so it needs to be simple to use set up and run.:bored:

VTSP
chinny

nolimitholdem
12th May 2007, 07:10
And for the umpteenth time could I please reiterate the request to NOT post solutions, company names, or weblinks on the forum...not slagging you chinny for the request, just asking that any replies be made via PM...the creepy little Etislut guys do watch..

yellowsub
13th May 2007, 18:30
Blimey,

This phone malarky is top of the list of gripes for me out here, a close second being those who insist in standing 2mm away from me when queing.

If I could get any VOIP up and running again it would surely be a month of Friday (Thursday) night passouts from wifey! What's the secret lads? Me too like others here not the computer whizz kid.

Have skimmed through the threads and will try to download a few of the names when our holiday in Indo starts tomorrow.

Otherwise standing by for the golden PM...

Regards

The Sub

jdoe
23rd May 2007, 07:26
Anyone using the Izone internet accelerator noticed it is now blocked?

Ironic that it was sold through Virgin megastore, valid for a year!!

5star
24th May 2007, 04:28
JDOE,
I don't use Izone any more, but hardly believe they have blocked it. After all I think they are after this thing.
I don't trust Izone any more since I got a text message on my mobile from Eticrap(!!). They recommend to use Izone during any wireless activity... funny isnt it...

Oh boy this eticrap pisses me off.
They will however never collect any Dirham for intl calls from me. Over my dead body.
5star

kvraghavan
29th May 2007, 16:36
Latest Skype version allegedly works again, for Mac and PC.

Get from downloads.com if you're in the UAE with no tunnel:
http://www.download.com/Skype/3000-2349_4-10225260.html

GoreTex
30th May 2007, 00:01
www.zkype.net works too

Sheikh Your Bootie
30th May 2007, 05:28
Goretex. You bloody idiot, please delete and/or edit your post, that is confidential, or at least was. Tosseur.... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/waffen/violent-smiley-012.gif

SyB :ugh:

GoreTex
30th May 2007, 12:32
Bootie
it's www.zkype.net, you must be from down under mate, what is a confidental website?

145qrh
30th May 2007, 12:51
:ugh::ugh:Well done Goretex....another site that will no doubt soon be blocked because it is no longer under the radar....

You Tube....and no not the web site..:ugh::ugh:

Sheikh Your Bootie
30th May 2007, 18:31
You don't get it do you!!!!!!!!!! Edit your post, now!!:mad::mad:

SyB :zzz:

sbh684b
31st May 2007, 03:43
Whats the current deal with DSTV in the UAE? I now u currently need a 6foot dish to be able to pick up DSTV as the UAE are on the border for reception. Will the UAE be able to block DSTV?

BlueSkye
31st May 2007, 04:56
No they can't block it. Well... they can, but they won't for reasons I won't mention.

Wildduke
31st May 2007, 08:16
:mad: at andu's request!

Andu
31st May 2007, 12:50
No matter how many times someone points out the fact that Etisalat cruises PUBLIC sites like this and promptly blocks any new site some "helpful" individual posts for all to see, there are still well-meaning ******'s like GORETWX and Wildduke who can't resist sharing their new found discoveries with all and sundry.

Do yourselves and all of us a favour chaps and delete your posts. Use PMs to tell your friends of your good luck.

BlueSkye
31st May 2007, 16:11
Is it just me or is Eataslit going after the torrent sites as well?
:{

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Jun 2007, 11:08
I have big problems with Etisalat:

First trying to transfer funds between mobiles, they just take my money, and never even say thanks.

I have been wating in RAK for a broadband connection, but they have no ports......does not bode well for the 20,000 hotel and apartments being built.

But then do they care, perhaps not.

I am trying to suggest to the big man up top, that he should make the entire city a free wifi zone, in keeping with the promises made to make RAK totally electronic.

I have just signed up on to fantastic free voice site called www.bollocs.com (http://www.bollocs.com), it is well worth it....

Glf

AirNoServicesAustralia
4th Jun 2007, 12:14
I don't know why all you guys are so blinkered to think skype is the only option out there. There is a UK company that I won't name who will for a nominal fee send you a little box specifically configured for the UAE that you plug straight into your modem and into which you plug a normal home phone, and voila, you are making calls to the States and Oz for 5 cents a minute. I had a couple of problems with the configurations initially and my e-mail was replied to within minutes and problem solved. For obvious reasons I am not going to post any more details on here, but guys broaden your horizons a bit and you will find other options to Skype, who honestly aren't trying hard enough to keep your business by working around Etisluts games, as they easily could (paid off perhaps???)

disconnected
24th Jun 2007, 18:59
I thought the basis of Skype blocking was that VOIP was "illegal" in the UAE.

This from the EK Safar Magasine 26/04/2007:

"VOIP" was introduced into the Emirates Group IT infrastructure with the new Emirates Engineering Centre completely running on VOIP telephony for its voice needs. VOIP telephony will continue to be rolled out to all other new facilities."

jimmytrilo
25th Jun 2007, 20:31
The Y messenger is very good also and had no problems with it whatsoever.

BlueSkye
8th Jul 2007, 20:04
Ok, so I get a green light on Michael "STIPE". But can not buy credits to play the game. "Account blocked" it says. I use a VPN that sounds like a dinosaur on NOS, no go. I use a "VERY BIG" procksy. No go, it just freezes up. What if I phone the parents to upload from there end? Will that work? Faaaaaark.

"I know that human beings and fish can co-exist peacefully." - George W. Bush

helen-damnation
2nd Aug 2007, 09:23
Looks like the Camel F:mad::mad:rs at Etisalat have got to Skype again.
Can't make calls out.
Any tech suggestions?
I know there are other ways but I refuse to let the B:mad::mad:ds win.

PLEASE DO NOT POST OTHER VOIP SITES HERE.

thanks,

H-D

Albergineman
17th Aug 2007, 12:14
There are two days now that Skype doesn't work. Is Batelco blocking it again like one year ago?

:mad:

skywaytoheaven
17th Aug 2007, 12:24
I have it working fine.

chinny
17th Aug 2007, 12:27
Same in parts of Dxb.ver 3.2.0.175.:mad:

VTSP
chinny

felipe56
17th Aug 2007, 13:17
There was a notice placed on the Skype website yesterday afternoon which stated that they are having a technical problem and it would take upto 24 hours to fix.

GAGing in Bahrain
17th Aug 2007, 14:11
Works for me just fine!

Doors To Manuel
17th Aug 2007, 14:38
Unless it's just me, it appears not to be working today in Qatar either. Don't they know it's Friday?

EK380
17th Aug 2007, 15:07
It's a worldwide problem.
Last up to date info on:

http://heartbeat.skype.com/

Brgds

Mustapha Rex
17th Aug 2007, 15:11
Hello all,

Here’s the latest on the sign-on problem. We’re on the road to recovery. Skype is stabilizing, but this process may continue throughout the day. An encouraging number of users can now use Skype once again. We know we’re not out of the woods yet, but we are in better shape now than we were yesterday.

Finally, we’d like to dispel a couple of theories that we are still hearing. Neither Wednesday’s planned maintenance of our web-based payment services nor any form of attack was related to the current sign-on issues in any way.

We’ll update you again as soon as we can. Thanks for hanging tight.

Please see our Heartbeat blog for ongoing updates.

UPDATED 17 August, 2007 11:00 GMT

5man
14th Sep 2007, 01:20
I know skype is not available in Dubai and I have seen some threads on Etisalat in this forum but it is not here anymore. Anyone got any input as to the alternative to Skype?????

ernestkgann
14th Sep 2007, 02:55
The free world.

fo4ever
14th Sep 2007, 03:18
According to Etisalat Skype and VoIP is illegal in Dubai for security reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!

One can never be to careful with all the expats calling home to their families.

I thank them 4 my safety

Get a VPN.

bluepacific
14th Sep 2007, 03:28
vpn accounts, public vpn, witopia, anchor free, any thing else ?

typhoonpilot
14th Sep 2007, 05:39
As has been said here again and again. Do not post any specific information as to possible sites to use. They end up getting blocked shortly after being posted here. :ugh:

bluepacific, please edit your post.

TP

Aussie
14th Sep 2007, 08:52
Hey, sorry if i misunderstood this, but are you guys saying that one cannot use SKYPE in Dubai?

Surely this is a joke?

S-etarime
14th Sep 2007, 09:03
Nope...not a joke. Skype cannot be used in Dubai.

And stop calling me Shirley.;)

JoeCo
14th Sep 2007, 10:45
But thought if you were in Emirates Hills (Springs, Greens, Meadows) where you have only Du to choose as your internet provided that it had unrestrcited access and you are able to use Skype? I thought this was just Etisalat claiming that its some sort of BS safety issue. I guess what they were really saying was "how are we supose to monitor your phone calls if you dont use our phone lines???" Furthermore, I'm sure they must be totally pissed off that they lost their monopoly, not to mention the business they lose from the invent of VOIP's. ...its no wonder they blocked VOIP's, their attempts to block Du quite clearly failed.

GoreTex
14th Sep 2007, 12:57
typhoonpilot,

www.zkype.net is still working, this site is costing etislut hundreds of dirhams, shame.

5man
15th Sep 2007, 04:56
Thks for the pms guys. Just diverting a little from the realm of communications. After arriving in Emirates, how long will it take to get a visa and how long for the wife's visa after that???

nitro rig driver
15th Sep 2007, 06:56
well it won't be now

please delete it asap

Jet II
15th Sep 2007, 07:21
After arriving in Emirates, how long will it take to get a visa and how long for the wife's visa after that???

Employment visa should be waiting for you as you arrive at airport - residence visa took me about 4 weeks and similar for wifes

patrick30
15th Sep 2007, 08:04
If anyone really needs help in this matter send a private email because there are some good links that i can suggest.
Of course i dont use them my self because its illegal but i know allot of people who do!!:)

helen-damnation
15th Sep 2007, 14:53
Patrick30

The idea is NOT to publish the names of anything that works for obvious reasons :=

Word of mouth and private messages will suffice.:O

Thanks.

Jumeirah James
15th Sep 2007, 15:07
PAt30,

PLease pm details to me :)

cheers

Speedbrake Lever
15th Sep 2007, 15:07
1st tiMe in years despite all the goings on here

i get mad

Patrick 30 delete you're 2nd post here NOW

GOD SOME PEOPLE HERE HAVE SPENT YEARS KEEPING OUR VOIP

active and here you come and shout it off

no further comment

S.L. :ugh: :ugh::ugh:

Speedbrake Lever
15th Sep 2007, 15:24
Whoever deleted it Thanks

done pretty quickly too

Thanks again

Please newcomers do not mention any names on this forum

we want to protect what we have

S.L.

patrick30
17th Sep 2007, 16:46
I thought i was helping out, but point noted.

The funny thing is,there are many companies that provide these services on the net you only have to search in google and find so many. Do you recon Etisalat have a team just searching the net for these companies?

As if Etisalat are not making enough money as it is? I recon its more down to monitoring everyones internet connection that they are more bothered about, because i am sure that big brother monitors anything that is been done. Anyone any views on this ?

Its something to be said about living in Dubai your only as free as what they want you to be, which makes me a little home sick for the UK at times well apart from the crap weather.

What with the DHS CRAP and ever rising costs of living, its the little things like spending a fortune calling home that makes me :ugh:

FTA
30th Sep 2007, 19:18
JoeCo,
Etisalat's efforts to block Du have not failed.

I live in one of the freehold developments where Sahm-DIC-Du is the provider, and they have been "covertly" blocking skype since about april. Can log in, and everything seems OK until the other person picks up and can't hear anything. Du deny blocking skype (true, it isn't blocked anymore is it) but when they DID block it temporarily in Feb, they said that they were over a TRA barrel. I agree that Etisalat(TRA) is screwing Du up the date however, as expected, both are enjoying the fun.
Its just like old times back in the Al Itihad school toilet.

And while we are on the subject, Etisalat have also banned the mentioned internet accelerator company based in DIC from selling its product locally.
I assume that this also is against the cultural and moral whatever values of the UAE.

Dune
6th Oct 2007, 13:15
I just lost a very successful software program I have used for some time to run s-k-y-p-e.

It appears it-is-a-slut found the company (in addition to providing open source software it also provides successful s-k-y-p-e blocking software). I guess the money won out over principle....no surprise there.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new source to download sorftware. This site was free so if you have one that works let me know. Also any sites that offer good support for reasonable rates would also be entertained.

Please pm me to keep the info out of sight......thanks.

Dune

Al Fakhem
10th Oct 2007, 09:45
There is an increasing number of articles appearing in mainly European news magazines highlighting the difficulty (or virtual impossibility) of monitoring calls made via Skype.

Mainly Drug Enforcement Agencies are facing problems in listening in on calls between dealers, who quite openly instruct each other to switch to Skype to continue conversations.

The main issue seems to be that no one to date has been able to reverse engineer Skype's software in order to figure out a way of eavesdropping.

Perhaps this is the true reason behind the ban on VOIP in the UAE?

lucille
3rd Nov 2007, 08:31
Just arrived in Dubai and staying at a decidedly unsalubrious hotel in Deira (the "disco" is, however, lively to say the least). I am too embarrassed to name it. Anyhow, I purchased a 120Dh 24hour internet card with the express purpose of using Skype.

To my horror, I discovered that Skype is blocked. WTF?? Was I wrong is assuming that Dubai was trying to join the civilized world? And that this childish greedy blocking of a VoIP service was over and done with?

The veneer gets ever thinner doesn't it?

sanddude
3rd Nov 2007, 09:07
:sad:Gonna have a hard time mate. Especially because you seems to know youre way around pprune. Not enough info huh!:ugh:Better keep quit on the flightdeck:yuk:

Trashed Aviator
25th Nov 2007, 10:22
After an official complaint as to why the Skype Website is blocked in the UAE the following response was forthcoming after several weeks:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us, we are extremely sorry for the fact that the site you have requested
www.skype.com can not be unblocked.

Reason : Pornography Website.

Once again we thank you for contacting us with your query and looking forward to serving you in the future. For any further clarification please contact Etisalat Customer Care Center.

Best regards,

Etisalat Customer Care Center
Tel: 101 (toll-free)
Email:[email protected]
URL:http://www.etisalat.ae

What can I say.............................

EGGW
25th Nov 2007, 10:45
Hahahaaaaaaaaa, good one :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

EGGW

chinny
25th Nov 2007, 11:26
:ugh:Dorks:sad:

VTSP
chinny

soggyblonde
25th Nov 2007, 11:52
:E:E What about all the porno that gets beamed for free to your tv via satalight. :E:E Are they going to block that or just keep skype blocked as it allows people to talk for free. :E:E

Thylakoid
25th Nov 2007, 12:24
Blocking Skype and all other VOIP is strictly for money reasons. Etisalat loses revenue; end of the story. They can give you whatever lame excuse (pornography!!!!! ) they want, but the fact is the loss of revenue.

wafflebottom
25th Nov 2007, 14:10
Strange, up until today I have been able to access Skype, today it will not let me sign in :confused:

daidalos
25th Nov 2007, 16:15
Strange that you can access THIS site, been pornographic and all :-)

Andreas.

Guy D'ageradar
25th Nov 2007, 18:09
Hi all, thinking of moving back - can anyone tell me if overseas news servers can be accessed, or are they blocked too? p.m. if you don't want to talk openly. thanks.

michael.e
26th Nov 2007, 06:10
can anyone tell me if overseas news servers can be accessed
newsgroups are available with a Du/DIC internet connection, no idea on its-a-slut connections

atiuta
26th Nov 2007, 06:11
What? ...and cut off their intel? Not bloody likely.

Eddie_699
26th Nov 2007, 15:34
Is there any body out there still facing problems using any VoIP or S**PE here ?

wafflebottom
26th Nov 2007, 17:19
Yes I am, for some reason it just would not let me sign in last night and again today, had to join an anonymous server and get on that way today!

Trader
22nd Dec 2007, 17:45
OK..now I am stuck!!! Anon websites are all blocked. Can someone PM with details of how to get hru?? Would appreciate it. Cheers.

MTOW
23rd Dec 2007, 05:03
What do you expect? XMas is a few days away, when lotsa people will want to ring home.

QED

fractional
27th Jan 2008, 11:39
This is a story I heard before. Now this guy just had the (bad) luck. However watch it! Big Brother is around preying...:mad:
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Police_and_The_Courts/10185010.html

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Jan 2008, 13:00
This technology is getting out of hand. Next there will be electricity too.

Never mind, life goes on. Head down.

glf

vbrules
14th Apr 2008, 11:48
I have just started using skype in Dubai. I put credit on overseas but here I just sign in and it works good as gold and my web provider is Etisalat. Am not using a VPN either. If I try to access skype websites they are blocked but actually using it once it's downloaded is fine.

Driver of Buses
14th Apr 2008, 12:21
In fact it might prove very difficult to block Skype without blocking everything else as well.

Skype uses various methods of connecting via the internet with its basic mode using solely the ports assigned to web browsers. Under this situation Skype will still work but with reduced quality or features.

To quote the Skype technical user guide on Firewalls ..

There are four options for Skype to work:
Ideally, outgoing TCP connections to all ports (1.65535) should be opened. This option results in Skype working most reliably. This is only necessary for your Skype connection to be able to connect to the Skype network and will not make your network any less secure.
If the above is not possible, open up outgoing TCP connections to port 443. This will only work if you are using Skype version 0.97 and above.
If the above does not solve the problem, open up outgoing TCP connections to port 80. Some firewalls restrict traffic to port 80 to HTTP protocol, and in this case Skype can not use it since Skype does not use HTTP. In some firewalls it is possible to open up all traffic to port 80, not just HTTP, and in this case Skype will work.
If the above is not possible, Skype versions 0.97 and above can use a HTTPS/SSL proxy. In order to do that, you have to configure the proxy address in Internet Explorer options. Skype will then be able to use it as well.So option 3 is basic mode of operation with port 80 (which is the port necessary for the web browser to work) and port 443 (used for secure HTTPS web connection). So to block everything except HTTP/S protocol will block Skype but will also cripple the internet connection and service provided.

Most ISPs will use proxy servers to FILTER out content and not firewalls to block ports.

Bottom line. Nothing is technically impossible but to block Skype without impacting on the quality of internet service provided is not possible.

ekeingout
18th Jun 2008, 04:50
VPN stopped working a few days ago - "the Shield" stays amber, will not connect with message waiting for server. Not so Hot really. No answer from their support other than autoreply to my question

Any ideas or alternatives?

PM only please - no specific details on this thread.

Thanks guys

tbaylx
18th Jun 2008, 06:58
if anyone has a solution that i'd appreciate a PM as well.

Orangewing
18th Jun 2008, 07:44
Beg to differ. I downloaded the new one, worked ok for a few days then packed up. It kept doing the same thing ekeingout described. Maybe it depends on exactly where you are located? :(

A345
18th Jun 2008, 09:30
If u are using a wireless router it's worth checking the settings on the router...wireless routers tend to block THE SHIELD..
hope this helps..Good Luck

vbrules
18th Jun 2008, 09:43
Same here.
Wont connect to server.
Tried downloading and using on PC as well as Mac; no different.
Have a wireless router but the settings on that havent changed for 2 years.
It must be something to do with Etisalat.
Also keen on a fix if anyone has one.

PositiveRate876
18th Jun 2008, 10:19
Works fine with latest version download.

Suggest you be more criptic when talking about these things.
Don't assume Etisalat is not reading this forum. They are.

etihadceo
18th Jun 2008, 10:51
I guess if it was not blocked then it will be now!!

NG_Kaptain
18th Jun 2008, 12:19
Hasn't worked in weeks.

4granted
18th Jun 2008, 14:09
Couple of interesting threads about it but from what I understand is that "they" have decreased the bandwith you can download through the Shield. Used to be about 10 gig per month, that went down to 5 gig and now apparently its down to like 1.5 gig. After youve exceeded that you cant connect.
Couple of work arounds for PCs but not for Mac.

Not sure to post here but google "changing your mac adress". This somehow lets the shield think you are a new user.
I am also thinking that maybe the eti se luts are on to it, but the w ancho r website is still up so....

My next question is: Whats the best paid for private VPN you guys find working well here in da sandpit?

Appreciate any info.

Cheers
4g

nitro rig driver
18th Jun 2008, 15:05
When will people learn :ugh:

as soon as a solution is posted on this and any other forums

THEY WILL FIX IT so you can't use it

Ask by all means but PM the answer

baob2oba
18th Jun 2008, 16:21
Works fine with latest version

Rabbitwear
18th Jun 2008, 18:23
Bought a Mac notebook about 3 months ago, what a piece of Junk , With good advertising you could sell anything.
It now rests in the bottom of a Dubai rubbish bin , with the hard drive removed. One less Mac on the Earth is a good thing. Back to windows................

Orangewing
18th Jun 2008, 20:25
check PM 4 granted

GoreTex
18th Jun 2008, 20:27
rabbit,
why didnt you sell it? I am sure there is a market?
a windows user

Lil Bro
18th Jun 2008, 23:19
When will people learn :ugh:

as soon as a solution is posted on this and any other forums

THEY WILL FIX IT so you can't use it

Ask by all means but PM the answer

yeah, because the IT boys can't PM you and pose as an expat.....

4granted
19th Jun 2008, 06:57
Well different strokes for different folks.. I have chucked 4 windows machines in the trash and my now 4 year old G4 PowerBook is flying along like it did when it came out of the box.
Actually think I have turned it off about 10 times in the last 4 years.

Anyway this is not a Mac/Windows thread... sorry for the Hijack.

Have a good day

4G

Thridle Op Des
19th Jun 2008, 15:15
4G - concur totally!

Written from my 4 year old G4

yada.yada.yada
23rd Jun 2008, 07:12
Mac..the only way. Windoze sucks

CT7
23rd Jun 2008, 19:50
As of late today, still no luck, maybe big bro has a handle on it.... Maybe its off to find the real thing....

Kamelchaser
24th Jun 2008, 07:05
I haven't been able to log on to HS for weeks, on both my Mac desktop and laptop. Interestingly enough I can log on with my laptop overseas (not that there is any point of course) so I guess it shows there is some serious interference going down in the sandpit.

Shinerr
24th Jun 2008, 10:02
Firstly try using a different browser like mozilla (HS bound to work), then make sure your proxy settings are configured correctly, i.e. proxy1.emirates.net.ae port: 8080. Once IT connects, remove the etisalat proxy and/or select No proxy. Enjoy! :8

Speedbrake Lever
24th Jun 2008, 11:54
works fine here

but maybe cos i'm in the capital we're blessed :D

also never used ....e

so maybe that helps too

S.L.

blorgwinder
24th Jun 2008, 13:43
Can we PLEASE not go into so much detail here!!!! Use PM or whatever but dont for a minute think that Etislat does not read this and then closes the door...

Ask arund there is lots out there and if you have to use Prune to get or give details then respond discretly..

Easy to say but seems hard for some to do

kennedy
9th Jul 2008, 08:34
Can anyone Private message me a good vpn, etisalat has started blocking mine.

Please don't put the names of the providers on any following replies as we know this site is monitored.

thanx in advance

NG_Kaptain
9th Jul 2008, 14:25
Check your PM

kennedy
10th Jul 2008, 07:41
Thanks NG, I am trying to use the one you are using, and yes it has recently stopped working, will try updating it down route.

S.F.L.Y
16th Jul 2009, 04:54
Be careful!
This is a story I heard before. Now this guy just had the (bad) luck. However watch it! Big Brother is around preying...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Polic.../10185010.html (http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Police_and_The_Courts/10185010.html)

It's not bad luck, this guys was making money out of a non commercial application, you would face the same pb anywhere else.

Carrier
9th Oct 2009, 23:18
Is iChat blocked? If not, it would be an alternative for Mac owners.

InnocentBystander
10th Oct 2009, 10:48
iChat is blocked, as well as all VOIP services that connect to phones. PC to PC works with Skype.

Why they let skype work and not iChat is beyond me.

ExSimGuy
10th Oct 2009, 12:06
Why they let skype work and not iChat is beyond me.

Remember where you are :ugh:

GoreTex
10th Oct 2009, 12:24
just change the port number on ichat and it will work

ku ku
3rd Nov 2009, 08:51
does any one know how to get free voip call using mobile phone in dubai.i have nokia 5800 phone.how do i make voip calls using nimbuzz,skype,fring,gtalk....
my friends told to me voip calls has been blocked by etislat.how do i unblock them..plz help me :hmm::hmm:

[email protected]

SOPS
3rd Nov 2009, 11:25
This is like a ....wind up....right??????:{

Watchdog
3rd Nov 2009, 12:44
Bad luck.... we ain't tellin ! :p

Boomerang1
3rd Nov 2009, 13:12
Search for a VPN.

Tin-Bullet
4th Nov 2009, 14:44
A couple of weeks ago, I had my ISP & Landline service provider call me, & they asked WHY I AM NOT MAKING USE OF my LANDLINE for International Calls...????

This dumb 'Pilipina' (to hard feelings to other Pilipinos around) expected me to be SO NAIVE & tell her that I am making use of my VOIP....ha ha!!

What a joke they are!:ugh:

Desert Dawg
5th Nov 2009, 04:41
AKAIK, etislut uses a nifty piece of router software called 'Packet Blocking' which blocks skype... Packet blocking can block any type of content, even if it uses port 80.

And the Mac version still works at my location. As GoreTex said, just change the port number and you are online...:}

GoreTex
5th Nov 2009, 04:44
you can google for the port number and enter it

oz in dxb
22nd Apr 2010, 09:45
Anybody have any problems with HS Shield.
For the last 2 days I have had no connection with the server.

Regards,

Oz

gehenna
22nd Apr 2010, 10:12
Not had a problem with a different VPN, but it may be caused by the damaged cable in the Med. 7 days this morning says that the cable will not be fixed until next Tuesday.

Bypass ratio
22nd Apr 2010, 10:16
OMG no porn for 2 days........you must be sweatin' like a paedophile in a kindergarten..!!

Use your memory for once and remember that really good time when.....

Desert Dawg
22nd Apr 2010, 13:11
If anyone wants a decent VPN connection.... Please PM me.

I have a VERY good friend in Europe who is setting up a VPN server. 100MB/sec uplink + 100MB/sec downlink - dedicated 24hrs service.

He charges €7.00 per month.

No fancy advertising, no popups, no extras. Just a very fast VPN.

helen-damnation
28th Apr 2010, 09:12
I think the recent server problem may have been sorted, it seems a bit quicker now.

However, I can't get a certain well know free "warm" VPN to connect. Same for the V()iP I use.

Anyone else having the same problem?

H-D

InnocentBystander
28th Apr 2010, 20:52
Just pay for a decent VPN already. Why do pilots always have to be such cheapskates and then complain when the company does the same to them.

Hotspot is DESIGNED to fail at times to entice you to sign up for their paid service. How hard is it to understand that there is no free lunch?

I have a paid VPN from a good provider and never had any problems with it for years.

Oh, and the SE-WE-ME cable won't be fixed for another couple of days. The "improvements" you see are probably due to extensive caching. Any "live" content is still excruciatingly slow.

Telur Belacan
28th Apr 2010, 22:08
I could log and sign in onto skype but when when the call was made, only silence. However the call seemed to be connected and my credit decreases; my wife confirmed that she answered the calls but she could hear anyone. The skype test function worked OK. How can I claim refund from Skype? Plea for forbearance here, new user of skype and unfortunately did not know that skype is banned in the ME. Thanks

dustyprops
29th Apr 2010, 03:45
helen-d,

Had the same problems, tried reloading it several times but no joy. Have paid for one now which is a lot more stable and connects instantly. Have survived 2.5 years on the free-be you mentioned, but I think it's finished. This new one doesn't cost much a year, in fact it's pretty cheap really.

ExSimGuy
29th Apr 2010, 04:56
When I was out there, it was blocking Computer-to-Phone, but Computer-to-Computer was okay.

I got around it by switching to a different serveice to Skype for Computer-to-Phone (sorry, but I don't have the name of that one on this machine and, if it gets popular then Etiselat and the other phone company will probably block that one too), but note the comments above which may solve the problem.

It's not all the ME that are blocking it - as far as I know only UAE (no problem in Qatar, BAH or KSA).

Good luck!

kangobeer
30th Apr 2010, 14:58
is anybody having problems with logging into facebook in abu dhabi, it won't let me sign in after the entering the details in it goes to internet exploare failed and says firewall tcp 443 failed but its not my firewall as far as i can tell. all other webpages work yahoo e-mail, company vpn network etc all ok, only facebook. not aware of any chnages being made or updates which might of casued a setting to change.:ugh::mad:

if anyone can help or point me in the right direction,

cheers

Spoonius
30th Apr 2010, 15:37
Does anyone know the charges for Skype to Go numbers if used from UAE? Or even if it is possible to use from UAE?? Many thanks for any info?
:ok:

helen-damnation
30th Apr 2010, 21:05
Dustyprops;

Thanks, appreciate a PM with the details :ok:

InnocuousBystander;

Why do pilots always have to be such cheapskates and then complain when the company does the same to them.

Try reading the post before you jump in. Just asked a simple question :hmm:

cost neutral
1st May 2010, 09:36
Dustyprops
Any chance you could pm me details also.
Would appreciate it.
Cheers

C4
1st May 2010, 10:48
Could i also get a PM regarding which one to use, Ta

astronaute
1st May 2010, 17:06
Mine is working !:confused:

Mr.Yiso
1st May 2010, 19:43
Hello,

Internet now start to get back to life ..I was almost dead at my place around Friday.
I had been generally encountering problems with internet since they installed the new FTTH system. the old school ADSL was perfect all the time.

Speaking about VPN ,Iam currently searching for a good SSL VPN provider close to UAE ... dont you guys know any?

Regards,,,

Desert Dawg
2nd May 2010, 08:22
PM me if you want a decent VPN

jetaviator
2nd May 2010, 11:30
Hello Gents

Can someone send me a pm with the details....Tks

Cheers

cost neutral
2nd May 2010, 13:03
Desert Dawg
pm sent
Cheers

Mr.Yiso
3rd May 2010, 22:48
Hello Folks,

Can anyone tell me about a trusted SSL VPN provider ? Am simply sick from Etisalat blocking websites

Regards,,,

nitro rig driver
4th May 2010, 08:53
see post 623 for answer !!!!!:eek:

ennui
11th May 2010, 12:47
Had the new E-Life fibre optic installed and activated a couple of days ago at DSO.
Current connection 2GB, around 350 dits.
Can have 8GB with home phone (time for another number!) for 299 dhs a month (first 3 months, special offer about 250!) "You will have to wait 3 days sir for the paperwork for your installation to be processed"!

Only problem is have not had a reliable connection for more than 2 hours since installation!
Have also now lost the home phone. . . . .

Only A & C blocks currently undergoing the work.

Any body else having the same problem?

If you fixed it can you please tell me how.

Have talked to the installation supervisor (luckily got his number), and he talked me through a hard reset of the new fibre optic modem in the laundry. That worked for about 5 minutes. Still no landline. .

Have now gone back to the old ADSL line and is still working well.

Any ideas people?????

ennui
1st Jun 2010, 20:20
OK

After 4 weeks and 3 optical modems and numerous visits from Etisalat contractors and staff, our optical fibre connection finally apperas to be working. We even have our home number operational!

All networking and communication programs still operational.

Rang on 101 :

#1 No sir. . . you do not have fibre optic installed (but i do!). Well please ring our technical services to confirm. . . (so I did)

#2 Yes sir you are connected to our fibre optic network (thank you), please call upgrades to change your subscription package, (so I did)

#3 No sir. . . . you are not eligible to subscribe to the upgrade package (why, i just checked with your technical department and they say i have the connection!),. please hold sir while i check. . . . . . . . ) Yes sir you are able to upgrade, but because the e-vision package includes the home telephone number that is held in the name of your employer. . . . .(yeeeees??)
you will now have to
1) obtain a letter of no objection from your employer for you to assume responsibility for your home number.
2) take said letter to an etisalat office and apply to be responsible for your home phone and.......
3) Then apply for e-vision services!

Good luck all

If anybody has a shortcut please let me know

I shall post the continuing saga when resolved

Good luck

I just want an 8mb connection for 60 dhs less than I'm paying for my current 2mb, otherwise I couldn't care less.

It's not often that a bargain appers here (relatively speaking anyway, still the most expensive internet I have had in 4 expatriot postings).

Is anything easy here????????????????

LOL

Trader
1st Jun 2010, 20:36
I have heard there is a download and upload limit with that new package ---extra charges could make it expensive. But then that is just something that was mentioned in passing....

ennui
1st Jun 2010, 21:04
Supposed to be unlimited both directions!

See here

eLife - Double Play (http://www.etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lang=en&type=service&contentid=ae0b7ea64789c110VgnVCM1000000c24a8c0RCRD&currentid=669f59ecfb01a010VgnVCM1000003c05000a____)

Going grey!!!!!

ExSimGuy
1st Jun 2010, 21:43
Is this special offer of total confusion only applicable to EK employees? :eek:

(see post title above)

yada.yada.yada
2nd Jun 2010, 08:22
I have had the new elife hooked up. They will install a second telephone line, so you will have two telephone numbers. The original number will still work, I am still using it. So no stress there. Only a couple of times have I tried to dial with no connection, but tried a few seconds later with no problem. No hard reset of the main box in laundry area necessary.

No visit to etisalat office necessary, no paperwork necessary. When they come to your villa to do the changeover, they will handle everything (two guys will just show up at your villa without appointment).

The new telephone number is also your new account number.

I had problems with the original router, but the replacement one has worked fine.

Waiting for my first bill to see if indeed it is less. I expect to see my bill drop around 80 per month. Yes, these prices are more than what the mafia would charge!

There is a data limit on the most basic package, not the faster ones.

nitro rig driver
2nd Jun 2010, 13:48
anyone know if the elife is available in all areas-ie mirdif,garhoud

Guy D'ageradar
3rd Jun 2010, 07:01
It's slowly spreading - I had the fiberoptic line pulled into the house (Mirdif) around 3 months ago and terminated a month or so later. Still waiting for the main feed though!

flareflyer
5th Jun 2010, 15:31
Can someone give me some sugestion regardin a good VPN program for the UAE?
Possibly not to expensive

Thanks

Flare

Luke SkyToddler
5th Jun 2010, 15:43
PM sent ... now can everybody NOT all post the names of the VPN's on this thread, so they can get read about / shut down by the thought police

Bidalot
5th Jun 2010, 15:47
...guess there are only 84 threads about it....F:mad:K EAT A SALAT !

Desert Dawg
6th Jun 2010, 10:20
As I have tried to point out in other threads of a similar nature....

I have a reliable friend in Europe who is setting up his very own VPN server (100mb/s up and 100mb/s down) based upon the demand shown here in Knoteetingham's PPRUNE... The service will be up and running next month.

I have had responses so far, but people are unwilling to give me their email id's for fear of discovery. I am fully aware of this fear.... but how else can I get your details to the guys in Europe??

There has to be some trust here for obvious reasons. Send me a pm and I'll route your details through to him.

VoxPopuli
6th Jun 2010, 13:21
Agree with SkyT. The first rule of Fight Club is....

Kep Ten Jim
7th Jun 2010, 09:46
Luke Sky T - could you pls PM me those details?

Thanks

flaphandlemover
7th Jun 2010, 10:22
hi,

could anyone forward me some details too,

rgds flaphandlemover

vpnspeed
8th Jun 2010, 15:08
I have the Answer
As I have tried to point out in other threads of a similar nature....

I have a reliable friend in Europe who is setting up his very own VPN server (100mb/s up and 100mb/s down) based upon the demand shown here in Knoteetingham's PPRuNe... The service will be up and running next month.

I have had responses so far, but people are unwilling to give me their email id's for fear of discovery. I am fully aware of this fear.... but how else can I get your details to the guys in Europe??

There has to be some trust here for obvious reasons. Send me a pm and I'll route your details through to him.

hi all,

im the guy who desert dawg is speaking of it.

at the moment im waiting for my fiber connection. When its running, i setup a new linux VPN server with openvpn software running on it.

if you are interesting send me your personal information by pm and i will contact you with all the info you need.

regards

vpnspeed

Kep Ten Jim
9th Jun 2010, 04:30
Flareflyer - could you please pm me with info sent to you by Luke Sky Toddler as he hasn't responded to my request

Thanks

zamil
9th Jun 2010, 04:46
Luke Sky T, could you pls PM me those details as well
Thanks

Desert Dawg
9th Jun 2010, 07:24
Finally - vpnspeed makes his PPRUNE debũt..!!! Welcome to the forums Mate!!

I am sure you will find many people on here who need your services. :ok:

I can confirm vpnspeed is the real deal. He already offers me some services and I will be testing the new service once it is up and running. I can certainly vouch that he is a genuine guy.

Contact him by PM for more info.

Bidalot
15th Jun 2010, 14:56
Cheers mate. My opinion remains unchanged, EAT A SALAT is a s:mad:t company ! Definitely a NOGO !

MarcelDXB
20th Jun 2010, 11:37
Can someone PM me with the details as well? Thanks.

Bidalot
20th Jun 2010, 15:10
Marcel, check your PM.

4granted
21st Jun 2010, 12:11
I bought one of these VPN's for a 102$ per year... works amazing outside UAE but blocked in Dubai!!!??? Why oh why?!!

running Mac and cant find much on port switching.....?? Anyone?

4g:ugh:

oz in dxb
22nd Jun 2010, 06:39
I am using a free VPN which is working well so far. It's not HSS.
PM me if you want the details.

Oz

ennui
22nd Jun 2010, 20:56
F.I.N.AL.L.Y

10th visit by technicians, 3rd fibre optic modem, 2nd wireless router, weeks and weeks without internet and home phone. . . . . . . . .

E-Life installed and WORKS (but for how long?????)

16mbps connection testing at 15.5

Blistering download speeds. An hours tv download in 7 minutes!

Second telephone line now installed, first is still in EK's name and shall be answered when required/desired.

Shall reserve judgement till we the cost and reliability is proven!

Shall keep posted.

Inshallah. . . . . . . .

Desert Dawg
5th Jul 2010, 14:00
To all those people who were in contact with VPNSPEED regarding his plan to set up a fast vpn server for all of us in Dubai...

I am sad to announce that he took his own life two weeks ago. He was a very good friend of mine and will be sorely missed by my family and I.

To all of you who were in contact with him - I am sorry to say his project will not be continued by his brother (who has no interest in such matters).

May he rest in peace.

Ynot
6th Jul 2010, 13:25
Could any of you, in the know, pm me any VPN options they are happy with and work in Dubai for use on mainly Skype out?

Thanks in advance Ynot.

Desert Dawg
6th Jul 2010, 13:58
@Ynot,

If you have Skype already installed on your computer, it will work. you do not need a vpn to connect.

nolimitholdem
7th Jul 2010, 12:36
I'd just like to say thank you to Etisalat for upgrading my building from DSL to fibre optic at no charge. I definitely notice an improvement in porn download speeds.

:ok:

Easy Ryder
26th Jul 2010, 14:28
Hi can anyone recommend (pvt msg) a good VPN?

I'm currently with one now, but only get around 2mb IF my elife Etisalat connection is running at 8mb (on speedtest.net). As we speak i'm barely getting 3mb, which is the slowest its ever been for me. Does high usage/evening affect fibre optics?

Would upgrading to 16mb in theory get me faster VPN spds?

Also does etisalat 'throttle' video streaming? Watching my slingbox here at times is impossible yet back home the the upstream is a constant 1.5mb. The relatively slow VPN also makes watching bbc iplayer virtually impossible too. :ugh:

Does DU throttle? I hope that third provider starting next year might improve things inshallah but i doubt it :(

Thanks for any tips

sam8808
26th Jul 2010, 15:12
Could someone PM me VPN options in Dubai pls? Thanks.

Bidalot
26th Jul 2010, 16:23
SAM and EASY, check your PMs.
All the best and F***K EAT A SALAT ! :ok:

dubaicrew
31st Jul 2010, 05:46
Could someone please PM me VPN options please!
:8

Thanks a ton guys!

Baileys
1st Aug 2010, 03:52
Can someone pm the options to me also? Thanks heaps.

BlueSkye
21st Aug 2010, 14:27
Anybody else experiencing VERY slow internet downloads since the start of Ramadan? Especially torrents and Usenet. I'm on FOTH 16MB and it slows to a crawl during the day. Right now the best is 180KB/s, normally 1,84MB/s.

Left Coaster
31st Aug 2010, 13:59
only if you are old enough to surf...does your mommy know you are here?:rolleyes:

gss175
17th Oct 2010, 08:37
Hi! I am in UAE right now - can someone please PM me some options? Free VPNs or proxies that still work? Much appreciated.

Short Approach?
18th Oct 2010, 11:55
Skype.com unblocked on a Du connection from my house today.

Ynot
22nd Oct 2010, 07:45
Good day,

Could someone confirm or deny that VPNs are not allowed within the new fiber optic eLife internet service. Is somebody out there using VPN within eLife and if so could you PM me which one?

Thanks Ynot.

Dune
6th Dec 2010, 09:50
Anyone having problems with the well known pay VPN W####ia the past few days? Unable to tunnel.

Jet II
6th Dec 2010, 10:52
Anyone having problems with the well known pay VPN W####ia the past few days? Unable to tunnel.

working fine for me

L1011
29th Dec 2010, 06:40
HI All,

Hope you guys had a great Xmas.

just moved from Etislut to DU and having trouble with my VPN.

W***pia worked perfectly at my old place with ET. Does not work at all in my new place with DU on the same iMac. Cannot get on the internet when W***pia is running.:{

Am I doing something wrong? Please PM with any suggestions or hints.

CAYNINE
29th Dec 2010, 14:29
Same prob, can call comp to comp but the receiver cannot hear me when calling landlines/mobiles.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Using the bigger version of popular VPN, DU, and MAC

km5
29th Dec 2010, 17:50
VPN will allow all skype. Just google VPN and find one that you like. No more than $10 per month

L1011
30th Dec 2010, 06:28
Thanks guys - got it solved.

I had to uninstall the old VPN and download the newer, stronger (and more expensive) one. Works great! :ok:

Love the folks at W*****a - very helpful. :D