PDA

View Full Version : Geo Stationary Latitudes

kangaroota
28th Feb 2007, 21:26
Can someone tell me what is the highest latitude a satellite can be put into geo-stationary orbit. I presume one couldn't hover over the poles because it wouldn't have any motion.
Second question. Can you put a satellite into orbit on a longitudinal plane in order to cover the poles?

Fellow Aviator
1st Mar 2007, 01:46
Nice question. After a quick thought I would say that it is only possible to have geo-stationary satellite positioned directly over the equator. If the satellite is positioned on latitude 1deg north or south the plane of orbit will have a one degree angle measured from the equator. This will not be stationary anymore, since the great circles are not aligned (great circle=shortest distance between any two points on the surface of the globe). Moving futher away, at latitude N90 or S90 (poles) the plane of orbit will be in a 90deg angle to the equator. This would be the farthest from a stationary satellite.

The anwser to second questions is yes but not on a stationary orbit. All the meridians are great circles and satellites always orbit on these.

ahramin
1st Mar 2007, 05:25
Geo-stationary (always over the same point on the earth) is only possible over the equator.

Geo-synchronous (always over the same path on the earth) shifts north-south-north... across the equator. Typically looks like a figure 8.

A sattelite can orbit the earth in any direction. Even backwards!!! :)

A little study of basic orbital ballistics would be a good idea before asking questions like these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit

On-MarkBob
18th Mar 2007, 23:37
Not True. There is a formula, as ever, and I've forgotten it. (who really needs it anyway), If my memory serves me correctly, I think the maximum lattitude for a Geo-Stationary orbit is 22.5 degrees north or south of the equator, after which the satellite will spin off. Again, if I remember correctly, the ASTRA satlellite that gives some of us in the UK 'Sky TV', is geostationary North of the equator, but I don't know by how much. I think they have a web site, it might tell you more.

Bushfiva
18th Mar 2007, 23:53
There are some nice photos of several of the Astra satellites in orbit: some tracking the satellites, and some tracking the stars. http://www.eurastro.de/observ/mr/GEOSTAT.HTM

I know 2B is bang on the equator, so the rest of the constellation is within a gnat's whisker of the equator, too.

On-MarkBob, I think a GEO can only happen at the equator. A GSO can range between other latitudes, but I again I think the crossing point of the 8 is at the equator.

On-MarkBob
19th Mar 2007, 16:07
Hi again, I did the calculation and it would seem you are correct. A GSO is too close to be able to move significantly from over the equator. Sorry about that.

Bob.