PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience?

G-NICK
28th Feb 2007, 16:44
Hi there guys and girls!

I'm a wanna be ATCO still in 6th Form but was wondering if it was possible to get work experience at a control tower in the London area? Just wanted to know if it was possible or if I would be considered a threat to security :confused:

Thanks in advance

Nick

AlanM
28th Feb 2007, 20:56
I did my school work experience at Plymouth Airport. I would guess that your best chance is with someone like Biggin Hill or Wycombe Air Par.

Not sure if NATS are able to accomodate.

Gonzo
28th Feb 2007, 21:21
I did my school work experience at Plymouth Airport.

Ha! So did I! :p

AlanM
28th Feb 2007, 21:28
I always wanted a stalker!!!!!

Mine was 1986........:) Spent many a time being sent across the apron to get the sausage sarnies..... skills replicated many times since joining NATS.
:)

G-NICK... given you are in Barnet I would ask Stapleford/Elstree for some help. Failing that try RAF Northolt.

Gonzo
28th Feb 2007, 21:36
I always wanted a stalker!!!!!

Shame, maybe you'll get one one day.....

I spent a lot of time sorting out AIP updates!!!!

G-NICK
28th Feb 2007, 21:40
Thanks guys for your help

Who would be the best person to get in contact with at say LCY? Would I have to speak to NATS or contact the airport directly?

AlanM
28th Feb 2007, 22:25
Drop me a PM - I will send you some contact names.

P.S - Gonzo - yr time with the AIP has stood you in good stead, too! (What yr were you there?? 1992?)

chevvron
1st Mar 2007, 07:34
Alan - if you talked to your wife occasionally you would know that NATS do accept WE students at some locations.

AlanM
1st Mar 2007, 08:46
chevvers

1. We don't talk shop at home
2. Tell us where then! (bearing in mind the topic starter seems to live in North London)

P.S. Is this is a good time to say how brilliant Fulham were last week!!!?? :ok:

chevvron
1st Mar 2007, 10:04
Well your wife works at an airfield where they take 'em, and the place you work certainly used to take 'em too!
Fulham actually were good for a change, but regretfully didn't have their main goalkeeper playing, they were also diddled out of an obvious penalty (about 50 yards from my seat) as were Arsenal last night (twice). You can't even argue that Man U were playing a 'second' team with Rooney and Ronaldo both on the field, so considering they were 1-1 until the last 3 minutes, you can't moan. Getting free tickets now are you?

PS: Even Fulham v Aston Villa has been sold out in advance!!

Odi
1st Mar 2007, 15:12
The Ice Station accepts work experience students - but that probably isn't of much use to someone living in North London... :) :) :)

F'Wx
1st Mar 2007, 21:26
I did mine at RAF Lyneham back in '98... Security wasnt so much of an issue as i was a Cadet at the time, which made it far easier.. TBH, i dont see it being too much of a problem, im sure if you make some calls about there will be plenty of Towers that require a tea boy for a week or so :)

Good luck

JonathanB
18th Mar 2007, 07:57
Little late on the thread, but I did my Work Experience back in 1995 at NATS Gatwick. Spent some time in the office, a couple of days in the tower and also visited other places round the airport (Fire Service, Airfield Ops etc.). Had a fantastic time! The following year I went back for 3 weeks to help them do a runway occupancy survey and pretty much spent the whole 3 weeks sitting in the tower.

Of course it helped that at the time, the general manager of NATS at Gatwick was a good customer of my Dad's (car mechanic). ;)

j2wo
18th Mar 2007, 12:04
NATS Gatwick don't take work experience any more.

I got a visit even so :p