PDA

View Full Version : L4 Cub to Annecy

grahama
27th Feb 2007, 16:24
I am posting a question for the first time so forgive me if this is the wrong section.

I am intending to fly an L4 Piper Cub down to Cannes mid march (for fun) following the route of a classic car rally which involves stopping at Annecy, weather permitting of course.

Annecy is high and surrounded by much higher ground. Has anyone any thoughts or experience of the airfield and venturing away from the Rhone Valley in a 65hp aircraft? (apart from why!)

Would like to hear from anyone familiar with the route to S of France in light or classic aircraft particularly out of season.

Thanks

Graham

Adrian N
28th Feb 2007, 17:28
Annecy's at about 1500ft and has a long runway, so shouldn't present any difficulty to a 65hp Cub. You can get out of Annecy very safely even if you have a poor climb gradient, but French rules of the air say that you need to be at least 5000ft agl to fly over the town itself - so you will need to make a detour.

There are lots of routes through the Alps that are safe for a 65hp Cub on a calm day, and with a prudent pilot. You'd need to be able to climb to about 5000ft to be comfortable.

There are, of course, lots of hazards to be aware of and there will be times when you really won't want the engine to stop. If you do go through the mountains there are plenty of airfields between Annecy and Cannes for fuel, lunch and friendship.

My prefered route, if you need to stay fairly low, would be Annecy - Albertville - Grenoble, then follow the Route Napoleon to Cannes via Gap, Sisteron and Dignes. It's an easy route to follow, and much nicer than the Rone valley. If you can climb higher (8000ft) there are other much more spectacular routes, but that may be asking a bit much of 65hp.

DubTrub
28th Feb 2007, 17:58
Graham:

I've flown my 65 hp jalopy around the Alps in the summer, several times, at something approaching gross weight (but I won't say from which side :} ) and found it an edumication.

I couldn't get higher than about 5000 feet (no mixture too), and anything over about 5-10 mph winds whistled up & down the valleys at much greater speed, making an uncomfortable ride. The roughest was along the southern shore of Lake Geneva.

South of Annecy is Challes-les-Eaux gliding club, who were very welcoming.

Your L4 will probably perform better than we did because you are in a cooler month (good luck with the weather) and if you go tout seule it'll help.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Adrian.

grahama
2nd Mar 2007, 11:26
Thank you for that. Rue Napolean sounds great as this is the route of the car rally, and I shall certainly take your advice.

Heartened to hear others think that this is possible and note comments about Annecy.

Appatently there is a 64% chance of clear skies that week so fingers crossed.

grahama
2nd Mar 2007, 11:29
Yes I remember the cheese, may effect take off performance on leaving!!

Thank you for your comments, and it has given me inspiration as many I have talked to think that I am crazy!

grahama
2nd Mar 2007, 11:37
Thanks adrian

yes I am going on my own and hopefully will have someone in a car take most of my baggage.

Do you think Challes les eaux would be a better stop than Annecy?

It seems I will need to achieve at least 5000ft in places but am told the aircraft can reach 8000, though it takes a long time!

Small Rodent Driver
2nd Mar 2007, 15:36
Strewth!

If your Cub is anything like mine it'll be out of juice by the time it reaches 8000ft!:)