PDA

View Full Version : trabzon air-crash yak-42

alpergokgoz
27th Feb 2007, 15:27
anyone to help me to find documents or facts about the yak-42 crash in trabzon turkey ?:confused::confused::confused:

discountinvestigator
27th Feb 2007, 18:38
The instrument approach procedure was a right mess, in fact, we have never seen one quite as bad! The rough runway heading was west for this approach, as opposed to the more common ILS easterly approach. Coast line running west-east to the North and big hills to the south of the aerodrome.

The pilots made an attempt at flying it, and it then requires a circle to land as the approach is very offset. At some point, they performed a go-around, returned to the NDB and then went off course to the South down a mountain valley. The flight crew then configured the aircraft for landing, turned west and hit the hillside. From memory, it was close to the top of the hill and climbing.

I think that the NDB display was pointing towards the rear of the aircraft at the time of the accident, again from memory of the photo of the instrument.

Another case of trying to fly an NDB approach with a combination of coastal effect, night effect, mountain effect etc.

I seem to remember that various accidents happened to the FDR and/or CVR and there was no useable data on at least one of them.