PDA

View Full Version : US embassy question

jonnyboy102
27th Feb 2007, 13:16
Hi,

I've got my M-1 visa interview on Thursday and have finally gathered all the paperwork together (they say you can't bring a bag but I'm going to need a suitcase just to get the paper to the place!). Anyway, does anybody know what sort of thing would be good proof of strong social and economic ties to the UK?

Thanks, Jon.

gcolyer
27th Feb 2007, 14:47
Mortgage or rent agreement

Employment contract

Payslips

Bank statements (at the least the most current)

A few utility bills (most recent)

I have had 3 M1 visas now and i have never had issue if I take the above with me. You must prove that you have the funds to pay for your course and accomodation whilst in the states, the I-20 will dictate how much you must have. I usually get my bank to print out a statement the day before I go to the interview and getthem to stamp it and the managerto sign it.

If you cant prove the funds then you don't have a chance.

IO540
27th Feb 2007, 15:10
I brought a mortgage statement and some bank statements.

The bank statement also showed me paying another mortgage (my ex wife's) and the clerk asked me about this.

I'd bring the whole filing cabinet. Bank statements, credit card statements, pay slips (if you are an employee), bank statements showing your dividends or salary (if you have your own business). Business card showing your position (Director, say) in your own business.

Allow a whole day. It should take only a few hours. The process is very streamlined.

gcolyer
27th Feb 2007, 15:17
IO540
The bank statement also showed me paying another mortgage (my ex wife's)

Funny that. Mine shows my payments to my ex wife's credit cards, overdrafts, loans and bailiffs.

Unfortunatley she won the house so I could not strengthen my finincial abilities by proving two mortgage payments. Lucky for me i don't have to pay for two!!

I feel the pain IO!

IO540
27th Feb 2007, 15:23
I confiscated her credit card after she blew away about £5000 on it within a couple of months. That was years ago; I was still living with her then :) Last night she was on the phone to me, asking me whether I have insured the mortgage and maintenance payments in case I get killed flying (she read the news reports of the recent Seneca accident in France). I told her she would have to sell her £1M house and buy a £900k house. She thought that would be unbearable hardship, so I carefully explained that 99% of people in the UK would be delighted to have such hardship. Such potential for amusement! Sorry to be off topic; it should lighten up this murky OVC002 day :)

tangovictor
27th Feb 2007, 17:21
you could always wear an English flag tee shirt, with FOR A10 PILOTS "NOT ME I'M ON YOUR SIDE" written on the back, !
and ask why British passport holders are barred from the US green card lottery, that should get you in no probs !
Good Luck