PDA

View Full Version : UL Cadet discremination

UL501
26th Feb 2007, 14:07
heard there were lots of Discreminatio happend during the Srilankan cadet Interviwe today 26th .

Also heard they have fixed the 9 cadets,,,,,,,

FlyMeToTheStars
27th Feb 2007, 08:54
Hey what happened to the Sri Lankan Airbus recruitment thread??? Did you say something so bad that they have removed all evidence of the whole thread lol??

sholva
27th Feb 2007, 15:39
Oh my goodness!!!

I didnt realise that the Sri Lankan Airbus Recruitment thread was gone until i read the above post. I guess the moderators decided they had enough after the "their children will pay" comment made by a certain some one :bored: and decided to take out the entire thread. Quite a shame though, it was a good thread too.

Sholva.

newagebird
28th Feb 2007, 06:09
hey
can anyone expand on this 'discrimination'??
cheers newagebird

UL501
28th Feb 2007, 14:44
They always favour captains sons , nephews, thats why they get in to the airlines within the first or second intake, Airline is owne by The sons and captains, luckily Capt rathnayeka , the Dog who does recruitng has 3 daughters otherwise they wil be in too,,,, unfortunately these captains sons are very feminine type people they couldnt even fly the 152 s in srilanka during their PPl days ,,, but still manage to get in................and now fly Airbuses ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

anyway for those of who are still queing up for the Intake,, have hope and Luck matters well,, While I was in the Airline I have seen plenty of discremination, how Captains children got in , trained and how some of the people given lots of chances,,, as an exmaple the Troly ( dark) dolley who got in as the Second female,, how she crashed the SIm when she did the flight test ,,, but she managed to get in etc etc ,,,,,,,,,,

All the best guys,,,,,

UL

newagebird
1st Mar 2007, 08:22
hey
yeh ive heard all about this discrimination, any idea if these captains kids have any kind of qualifications? degree, diploma or watever? I got friends trying out for this right now.
So jus wondering also, what do you do now UL501?

cheers newagebird

UL501
1st Mar 2007, 23:54
What nonsence,,,,,,,,, Why do they need ( Captains babies....) Qualifications when their Jobs are gauranteed even before they come from USA.( some were extremely talented with CAA /JAA Licenses )
They all send their Nappies to USa so that they can get the License within 9-10 months and Then hey breastfeed them to pass the tech exam ,,,,, Their biddies make the paper so wil pass on the info for the Captains sons what o study etc etc,,, Otherwise how can they pass the tech exam ( FAA ) when the System is CAA,
but for the last couple of years The Ops have failed Couple of Captains sons purposly to show that there is no Discremination but even that they have fixed it,, if the guy is Young then they will fail him so that they can take him next in the next batch..... In the history of the intakes noin of the captains Sons/brothers nephews havent Faled the Tech exam more than twice.... so thats shows how corrupted the system is,,,,,,,,,,,isnt it?
Whe i was there they failed Two captains sons and told their dads that they will definelty take them since they had to take more influential people in that batch...........to take some they ( ops) purposly delay the deadlines and bring down the entry requirments to accomadate their sons,,,, a wel known first female pilot was given more hrs on the sim to pass the flight test and the second female pilot crashed the sim during the flight test ,, but still they made it,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Some Captains Nappies,,,,,, when I see them I dont want to give my 4 wheel to drive cos they look so Dumb, Lazyyyy and pampered,,,,, but they fly Airbusses ...... so thats the srilankan Styleeeeeeeeee, some of them had to re do their PPL in Srilanka, I ve heard some captains sons when they did the PPL s in Srilanka they couldnt even fly Straight and Level ,,, Some crashed,,,,some couldnt fill forms by them selves, their dads had to show them everything ,,,,,,,, but they all made it........
Cheers for themmmmmm and good luck for the rest
UL 501

sharuk khan
2nd Mar 2007, 13:33
I guess by now you would have realized that UL501 is one sorry, inferior and disgruntled cabby who needs to first see a quack where ever he is....thank god not with Sri Lankan anyway.

Coming to a more serious note, the cadet pilot programme in Sri Lankan and former Air Lanka has been one of the best in this region and has always been merit based. The so called candidates who didn't make it were definitely not to the high standard Sri Lankan airlines were looking for and were eliminated. How UL501 twists the captain's sons not been taken as another conspiracy theory where a deal was stuck with individual captains...ha,ha....that's a good one...Mel Gibson wake up...come to Sri Lankan to get your second script for part2 of conspiracy theory.

As far as the programe is concerned, if you study and perform well in the cadet pilots exams which I was told has both CAA/JAA and FAA questions and perform well in the flight check then you are selected. I was told the exams are similar in nature from previous ones, where a guy who has sat before is familiar with the question asked, thus making it easier the second time, the again there have been a lot of first timers who have got in without a problem and they were never related to pilots or politicians as UL501 puts it.

None of the 320 captains nor the 330/340 captains have found any of our first officers unfit to hold that position, so UL501 personal insinuation of certain F/O's not fit to be in this airline is unfound BUT one which we all whole heartedly agree is that thank god loosers like UL501 left...GROBR.

best luck.:ok:

newagebird
2nd Mar 2007, 14:39
Hey UL501,
you didnt answer the question though, why did u leave sri lankan and what are you doing now? Anyways ive heard abt discrimination but to think that it happens on such a level is hard to believe. I doubt any airline will be so corrupt (even though we know Sri lanka is) because theres a lot of safety concerned and sri lankan has not had any safety incidents that i know of.
My suggestion to UL501 is that after seeing all the accusations put forward on previous threads, i'd like to see where you get your information and who exactly are you talking to?
Some of the pilots trying out for cadets have not much else to fall back on so we shouldnt try to discourage them and tell them how bad sri lankan is...what else do we have...pilots should work together!
cheers newagebird

Gotafix
2nd Mar 2007, 15:37
Newagebird,

Just to add a touch of moderation here, the truth about UL lies somewhere between UL 501's version and Sharuk's version. :)

There have been quite a few questionable happenings in the past, and I think if you look at the wide variation in entry criteria over the years you will see what I mean. Sadly influence peddling and discrimination are a national malaise and to expect UL not to be touched by it would be a trifle optimistic, wouldn't you say?

As you point out the safety record of UL has been good, so you could say that the guys and gals up front must be doing ok, even if some of them had a bit of a push to get in.

However the fact that there are few documented incidents does not necessarily mean there weren't incidents. Suffice it to say that UL is an incredibly lucky airline, and I wish for the sake of all the good people still there that it stays that way.

UL501
2nd Mar 2007, 19:25
Dear Shahruk,
talk to your self and see how you got in.
I dont have to bring names and incidents where you failed to take top class applicants in the past.
Since 1990s the president had the last say of the cadet entry sceme.I dont have to remind you the Sons of Army commanders, Airforce Commanders, navy Commanders got in their first attempt, with few guys who had the Diplomatic infleunce too,,,,,
You kow how tough to get in , but yes, the safety standered is good because any donkey can adopt to the Company Sop s and start flying.because Once you get in you will be groomed to become a First officer.
Do i need to remind you how the Intake during Presidents premadasas time happned ,it was a metter of a call from the president and the whole batch was taken ,,,, Do u call that Merrit?
I personaly know Young Jayakodys Sons Cv was there at CBK office in the 2004 intake,,, What happend during the last few years was , You the Filthy Ops guys who was lead by that Rougue Liar Milinda wanted to create your own Team and drifted away from listning to Poltics...Good if it had been a Merrit based one but NO ...he made it like that because you guys wanted to take ONLY your Sons and brothers ,,,,if the politicos had the last say then you wont be able to get your sons in isnt it? So you guys created your own way of recruiting , thats why who ever sits for the Cadet intake will not get a Call whether they are failed etc etc,,,, thats why you guys destroy the Tech answer scripts as soon as u Mark the papers.If thats the case the PLEASE let the cadets know their Ranks , Marks etc,,,,

If you have a dignity and intergrity just look at your Own Boss Milinda. How many times he got caught , howmany tme he got caught to the CAA for violating regulations,sending people with expired licenses... What happend to the Previos FLIGHT OPS manager, will you ever keep somebody who got caught for SHOP LIFTING,, That Jayakody ended up going to JET AIRWAYS. In other Airline your sacked , but still he managed to get his Son in having been caught SHop lfiting in Singapore.....is that the standrs you talking about man,,,,,,,

Didnt you ll bring down the entry requirments for cadets when you guys wanted to take your won people.Didnt Pople get in with just O/L s when the requirment was A/L.What was the different then .....Wy do u cannot keep a consistency when you recruite Cadets every year . Why you always change your add in different intakes, why you give a such a long tme to convert their licenses , and give short time to apply sometimes.Why do u have to give almost 2 months to have the current license ready this time ( 2007) why your favourite guy still in USA this time doing his final touches to the CPL/IR?

Once I remember when Milinda came to Courts he told the judge Point blank that they destroy the papers.

You guys call the Cadets who passed only late at night and ask them to come for medicals.... so in that case you can get away with political influence saying ..' Ohh we already have selected this batch and have send them to medicals' so what you guys are doing now is pure monoply of getting YOUR own people in and even the politicos cant do anything,,, You guys want to run your own family business... this could be the Only Airline in the world where you find Lots of Brothers and sons flying to gether, and not the safest Airline in the region.

Please please dont tell me how the Cadet Intake runs... I have been there and Know how they got in .....Dont forget your past , dont forget how you got in..... atleast have faith on somebodys safety standrs .....there are Cadets who crashed their planes, forged their IR tests in USA and theys till got in,,,,, Yes I honestly beleive Al the cadets are not influential, Good guys get in but you guys kept them outside for too long, yes they got in with merrit ,, but Others had the upper hand just because their known people, when you call for a batch of 7 -8 One or Two go with merrit ,,,

UL501

newagebird
2nd Mar 2007, 21:06
Thanks for the input guys,
yeh everyone knows UL is a lil dodgy but that kind of thing happens anywhere in the world. QF pilots get in bcuz their fathers work in the airline too but it doesnt happen as much as UL. Ive had friends try out for stewardess jobs as well and got rejected due to politicos. Do we have any new updates on how the current interviews are going?
Ah well, what can we do but try our best and hope.
rgds newagebird

Mstr Caution
2nd Mar 2007, 22:54
QF pilots get in bcuz their fathers work in the airline too but it doesnt happen as much as UL.

Candidates whom are sons & daughters of Qantas employees also miss out! I know of quite a few.

Quite a generalisation to state that an automatic right of entry exists simply because a relative is employed by a particular company.

Fair enough, it may have happened in the past within QF. But these days airline recruitment is solely based upon individual performance.

As to the performance, well that's for each airline to determine their own benchmark.

Someone with a friend or relative may assist with getting a resume on the top of a pile, but it wont gain someone employment. (QF)

As for other carriers, if nepotism is alive & well thats for them to determine. :8

newagebird
3rd Mar 2007, 03:25
Yea thats right,
i shudve rephrased, in the odd case there is a little help due to a reference from a relative. I meant to say that it happens everywhere but QF is by no way and means on the corruption level of certain sub continental airlines. In fact QCs who ive seen are fantastic pilots and great blokes too.
I guess corruption is part and parcel of any recruitment, as you only need one bad apple. Good luck to all the guys doing the interview.

Mstr Caution
3rd Mar 2007, 06:15
newagebird,

My guess is, that those airlines of which you speak probably have poor or non existant standards of pilot recruitment. Or recruitment standards which rely to heavily on subjective opinion.

When an airline or any organisation for that matter has a well defined structured recruitment process. Which can validate thru data collection and observed performance a candidates individual standards. Then a candidate will be recruited on individual performance alone.

It's not all bad, that some airlines will provide weight to a recommendation of a current employee. But to offer recruitment on that basis alone is a recipe for disaster.

Of course it depends on the size of the airline, the smaller the airline the "less informal" the arrangements for recruitment I suspect. :8

reallyawannabepilot
3rd Mar 2007, 07:13
Maybe it's more of nepotism rather than discrimination....sad to say but that's human nature...you will see that in every company in the world.

FlyMeToTheStars
3rd Mar 2007, 13:12
Tell us your story of Sri Lankan then maybe we will know why you have such a big chip on your shoulder and are so very bitter :hmm:.

farcry
3rd Mar 2007, 18:22
Cheers Lads/lasses
I agree with Both Shruk and UL501......but UL501 needs to get a grip on this sexist remarks . I dont understand your bitterness towards ladies or flight attendants.........i have read your posts and frankly the way you trash other people does not make you any better than them , cos you are not from what i hear anyways. I only read to find facts and most of your stories are full of crap.
Very few things that you have said are true and So be it If you dont like someone personally thats your problem, we are not your blind mates to follow your rear.
If you were smart as other people who have managed to do things their way well more power to them,if you had your way as well then you may not have been on this bitter ave.
My friend ...........lets keep the facts and take your personel baggage and check it.:rolleyes:

newagebird
3rd Mar 2007, 23:42
Hey flymetothestars

I've never had any experience with sri lankan, dun mean to show them in a bad light either cuz i love the airline. However quite a few of the sri lankan pilots ive talked to from around australia paint this picture of corruption, most of the allegations im sure are just rumors as people can always distort the truth. I'm just stating the public opinion.
All said and done, Sri lankan is sri lankan and you would be led to believe that from most of the stuff said about them, there is some substance to it, especially since the country is corrupt as well. However that shouldnt discourage anyone from trying out for a position with them because they are a world class outfit.
Jus a msg to UL501...man you must hav been treated like crap if ur so angry about sri lankan, i agree with farcry, sexism is a thing of the 19th century buddy. Chicks can be even better than some guys so don't do any girl bashing on a forum such as this, i'd like to see something positive posted about sri lankan from you. hey they got great food!

Anyone know anything about mihin air??
cheers newagebird

UL501
9th Mar 2007, 02:25
Well I was spot on, the guys who came from States, got in including that scolar I mentioned,, His job was gauranteed even before he arrives to Srilanka and few other FAA guys their first attempt,,,,,,,

UL502
9th Mar 2007, 03:54
Although UL501 is politically incorrect, he paints a more accurate picture than that arse-kisser Shahruk, of what really goes on behind UL closed doors. If you are tracking the recruitment process over the years, you’ll be alarmed at how many cousins, nephews, and politician’s sons have been selected, its one big happy family over there mates. If you read the UL ads it says, “Influencing will not have any bearing on the selection process which is merit based”, what a load of cr*p! The actual translation is, “You better know somebody important if you want this job”. If you talk to some of these spoilt kids you wonder if they are even fit to drive a 3 wheeler, and the number of unsafe pilot count increases with the annual cadet intakes. These bad apples give a poor impression for the entire organization let alone the country,,,, makes the disciplined and competent pilots look bad. :ugh:

As for those who didn’t make the cut this year, look elsewhere or try your luck next time, but draw the line after 2 tries mates. Good luck to you! As for the lucky ones that got in, congratulations! It is not the end of the road, just the beginning. UL Flight Ops, you better train your recruits well, their daddies and uncles won’t be in the cockpit during a non-simulated emergency, or else its only a matter of time until the sh*t hits the fan belt, YOU’RE GAMBLING WITH PEOPLE’S LIVES HERE! :D

As for the corruption, these holes in the system go beyond the UL office boundaries, there’s nothing we could do about that. To minimize the pilot error factor, which begins before training, let’s look more closely at the selection panel, their inconsistent practices and why the secrecies?? Its time to restructure from scratch don’t you think? Mr. Chairman, this one is over to you.:ok:

UL502
9th Mar 2007, 03:58
Although UL501 is politically incorrect, he paints a more accurate picture than that arse-kisser Shahruk, of what really goes on behind UL closed doors. If you are tracking the recruitment process over the years, you’ll be alarmed at how many cousins, nephews, and politician’s sons have been selected, its one big happy family over there mates. If you read the UL ads it says, “Influencing will not have any bearing on the selection process which is merit based”, what a load of crap! The actual translation is, “You better know somebody important if you want this job”. If you talk to some of these spoilt kids you wonder if they are even fit to drive a 3 wheeler, and the number of unsafe pilot count increases with the annual cadet intakes. These bad apples give a poor impression for the entire organization let alone the country,,,,,, makes the disciplined, and competent pilots look bad. :ugh:

As for those who didn’t make the cut this year, look elsewhere or try your luck next time, but draw the line after 2 tries mates. Good luck to you! As for the lucky ones that got in, congratulations! It is not the end of the road, just the beginning. UL Flight Ops, you better train your recruits well, their daddies and uncles won’t be in the cockpit during a non-simulated emergency, or else its only a matter of time until the sh*t hits the fan belt, YOU’RE GAMBLING WITH PEOPLE’S LIVES HERE! :D

As for the corruption, these holes in the system go beyond the UL office boundaries, there’s nothing we could do about that. To minimize the pilot error factor, which begins before training, let’s look more closely at the selection panel, their inconsistent practices and why the secrecies?? Its time to restructure from scratch don’t you think? Mr. Chairman, this one is over to you.

airlanka
10th Mar 2007, 16:07
UL 501 WHAT YOU HAVE MENTIONED ABOUT THAT SURANGA GUY IS TRUE. HE HAS MANAGED TO GET THIS FAR WITHOUT A CPL AND A MULTI ENGINE RATING .ON TOP OF ALL THAT HE DID ALL THE TRAINING HERE IN SRILANKA FLEW ALL 1950S NDB APPROCHES DURING IR TRAING AND HES GONNA FLY ILS ON A320 S:D . HE ALONG WITH OTHER CADETS HAS BEEN SENT FOR A MEDICAL NOW.

GUY WEIGHS AROUND 95-100KG HEIGHT ABOUT 5FOOT 6-7INCHES . :ok:

WONDER IF THE DOCTOR WILL CALCULATE THE BODY MASS INDEX.
(SOME CADETS WERE REJECTED IN THE PAST BECAUSE OF BODY MASS INDEX) OR THEY MIGHT REMOVE HIS BALLS AND RECALCULATE HIS WEIGHT TO GET HIM WITHIN THE BODY MASS INDEX .
AND ALSO THERE WAS AROUND 1 HOUR DELAY IN THE START OF THE TECH EXAM WAS SCHEDULED AT 01 00PM STRATED AFTER 02 00PM . HIS MAJESTY MILINDA WANTED ALL THE MOBILE PHONES SWITCH OFF & PLACE THEM ON HIS TABLE DURING THE EXAM.:E

MR LOST THE DESIGNATED PERSONNAL STATUS RECENTLY BY SLCAA BECAUSE OF A MATTER RESPECT TO UPGRADING A FILIPINO FIRST OFFICER AS A A340 CAPTAIN. WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN O HIM IF THE CAA GETS TO KNOW ABOUT EMPLOYING A CADET PILOT WITH HIS PPL & SRILANKAN DRIVING LICENCE.:ugh:

newagebird
11th Mar 2007, 09:15
too bad about all this, anyone know who the other cadets are? There must be a few who got in on merit.

newagebird

Lycan Av8tor
11th Mar 2007, 16:19
Reading this thread and the previous one concerning the same subject makes me wonder why this Airline is ridiculed so much......it also sheds pure bright WHITE light why certain individuals like myself aren't able to get in, however absoulte BIMBOS can....

I would really like to thank UL 501, UL 502, airlanka and Spoilers Armed for bringing the truth out. They are absolutely correct, even though there are some who wish to think otherwise, or better yet, I guess they have selective amnesia and wish to forget the :mad: .

In 2000, I was given this **** excuse of BMI from that nut they call a doctor.... I really hope she rots in hell. Infact I wasn't even close to weighing like the fool they have just taken (95 ~100kg). They JUST might have to remove his balls to calculate his BMI, cause he won't need them as he will be dancing to the tunes of current corrupt captains anyway. Having his balls won't help him in any decision making anyway.

About the tech exams. When I was doing my tech exam in 2000, they asked everyone to write their assigned numbers instead of writing your name on the paper. They also mentioned that if your name is written they would DISQUALIFY you. Hmmmmm I wonder why.... I suppose they could interchange good scores for their pimpias whilst kicking out deserving candidates...:yuk:

How can someone who has never done an ILS, better yet someone without a CPL get hired?
There are some in here who keep trying to defend the actions of the top management and some who query the reason why some have SUCH a chip on their shoulders....If all this **** were to happen to you, WOULD YOU BE A HAPPY BUNNY ?????:=

I didn't think so .........:ok:

Why don't these people just open their eyes and see all the deserving people who could make SriLankan a better place. (Oh I am sorry, they already have, they only allow the types that satisfy the list that Spoilers Armed posted) :rolleyes: :=

Thank you once again UL 501, UL 502, Airlanka and Spoilers Armed for your support ! :ok:

Lycan Av8tor:(

uniform lima
13th Mar 2007, 06:30
To Srilankan Pilot & Ul 501

Do You Guys Have Any Idea About How Much Does A Junior First Officer(local) Get As Basic Salary And Other Benifits(flying Allowance Etc)

Do They Take Srilankan Nationals With Only A320 Type Rating?
Have They Taken Anyone In The Past??

Please Reply Ul 501 Or Srilankan Pilot.

Thanks In Advance. Safe Flying.

UL501
13th Mar 2007, 08:03
Junior First officers are bound for a Contract so the Pay will not be the same a far as I am concern.When I raised that questions froma friend whome I met in Far east I was tols that these guys will have to pay the Type rating one day so that the Airline will deduct something everymonth.

uniform lima
13th Mar 2007, 14:17
Thanks For Th E Reply Ul 501. What I Really Wanted To Know Was That Srilankan Is Recruiting Self Sponsored Type Rated Pilots(local) On The A320 With Out Hours On Type.have They Recruted Anyone In The Past Like That?? Please Reply.

Thanks In Advance

farcry
13th Mar 2007, 19:22
Hold Your Horses Ladies And Gentlemen,

Ul501 Is Not A Insider......... He Works For The Sri Lankan Airlines And Has Been Unsucessful Passing The Tech Paper.

All His Info Comes From Talking To Pilots And Fly Ops People , Which He Runs Into Them Often...... Right Mr Ul501............................

Thus The Truth Comes Out.............

farcry
13th Mar 2007, 19:27
Hey Mister ........ Why Dont You Go On A Diet And Loose All That Fat You Gain Eating All Those Shawramas And Sweets In Dubai,

You Even Consired Applying Time But Your Fat Ass Could Not Make It Thru The A320 Door.... Bro Stick To Your Light Twin At The Flight Center ......... At Least You Are The Cheif There Huh.

FlyMeToTheStars
14th Mar 2007, 00:00
The plot thickens. Is that why you won't tell us the story of why you are so bitter UL501? Hmmmmmm

spoilers_armed
14th Mar 2007, 02:40
i know its a hard ask, but it would be nice to accertain how genuine and real the posters are in here...
quite a few interesting points have been raised, how do we all know who is for real as opposed to fake..?

newagebird
14th Mar 2007, 02:42
lol, Id like to hear all this from a credible source! Everything said on this forum by some certain people is just 'hearsay'. You can't hear some guy say it on the tarmac and claim it as the truth!

newagebird
14th Mar 2007, 02:44
I say we shoudl give our current flying experience ans what we are all doing with our lives. i.e working, studying watever. I got 250TT and im studying.

uldreams
14th Mar 2007, 04:31
I am glad that people have now started speaking out about the discrimination at UL, but Is it worth it.......... Because whether we like it or not .....they call the shots. these things will not make any difference. Our regulations state clearly that Expats cannot be hired if local are available........but we still have 35% expats working for UL . All other countries give prefernce to their own nationals..but not UL. The Latest on the UL list is we look for young ones.... I wonder why????????? May be it is easy to make them dance to their tunes.

UL501
14th Mar 2007, 08:56
hey farcry you are spot onn, what took you so long to find that i am insdier ,,,, well are u a pilot for UL, you know because i have a feeling you came from the same back door to the company ,,,,, because Y,,, U are wrong,,,,,, Ya I do speak to captains oftenly , yes I do speak to the ops staff oftenly, They say the thruth to me , they are critisising the whole process with me,, but I am not in your country to smell you bad smell mate,,,,, but i know my stufffffff

Dont just blame the guys working inside who cant get in,,, leave them alone,,, you Donkey,,,,
cheerssss

UL501

newagebird
15th Mar 2007, 04:11
Instead of criticising everything and everyone UL501, you should tell us your story, then maybe others will start believing you. there was no pilot called 'suranga' ...how did i find out? By speaking to some guys who tried out recently so i would have thought they would know about a 100kg private pilot...its hard to miss them. Even still they may have been mistaken...as u say he came through 'the back door'
Another interesting bit is that there will be another chance coming up very soon..sooner than we expected as UL are expanding operations to Australia.
cheers newagebird

farcry
15th Mar 2007, 18:23
Ok Lets Just Say I Dont Wanna Ruin Your Life Or Life At Work So I Am Not Going To Go Much Deeper In Your Personal Life.

Ul501 Has Tried More TimeS Than You Can Count To Crack The Cadet Tech But Failed ..........including This One.

He Still Works For The Airline And ComeS In Regular Contact With The Pilots And Grd Ops.

HIS News Is News To You Guys...cos Out Of 300 Ul Employess He One Of The Hand Full On This Blog Thats Why It Seems Like Insider News...

He Is Right But Not Always True.

Suranga Was A Cadet ......got Thru......but Could Not Get His Multi Endorsement So He Has Bailed Out.
he went straight for ppl to atpl
" The Date Was 22mar To Have All Your Doc's Ready So Its Not His Fault Cos Daya's Multi Eng Baron Plane Was Boomed By Ltte ... He Was Supposed To Get His Rating Here..

2 more guys had to quit the program

His Flying Was Not Just 1950's Ndb But Now You Can Do All App's At Vcbi...ils,vor ...

Next Intake Is Not Far Away.........

so 3 guys are allready out from total of 19 to 16 now including JR pilots

I Am Not A Insider But I Am Just A Common Guy Who Picks Up These News Where Ul501 Get From As Well..........from Being In The Airlineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

uniform lima
16th Mar 2007, 03:12
Hey Bro Farcy Any Idea When The Next Batch Of Cadet Pilots Will Be Taken?

Anyway How Many Cadets Are They Taking This Time?

Cheers.

newagebird
16th Mar 2007, 05:09
Hey
uniform lima, its unconfirmed as to when the next intake will be, but ive heard within the next 6 months at least. They took 15 cadets out ofaround 40 tryouts this time around.

FlyMeToTheStars
16th Mar 2007, 05:46
Well that explains why ul501 is so bitter and twisted. But hey man UL501 move on, get over it, try elsewhere. After all how many of us get to do exactly what we want in this life? You are just one of many!

uniform lima
16th Mar 2007, 05:55
thanks for the the reply farcry. but heard only 9 cadets will be taken this time around in a previous tread.
Well if you happen to get the intake dates please do let us know.

Cheers.

newagebird
16th Mar 2007, 08:04
Hey uniformlima
9 cadets was mentioned earlier and thats because it was the original number that was taken in previous intakes. However this time there were 15 cadets taken, im speculating that this is due to ULs recent plans to expand their market into Australia (sydney) in particular. However im not sure that 15 cadets will be taken during the next intake either.
What i do know is that there will be more intakes coming up quite soon, dates are still to be confirmed but within 6 months according to rumors.

Whats your qualifications?
cheers newagebird

uniform lima
16th Mar 2007, 13:57
Multi Cpl Ir 250tt

Doing A Faa Instructors Rating

farcry
16th Mar 2007, 17:48
Guys, as far i know the ad may come out in Sep-Oct.

16 guys are going for sim next weekend

dont know how many they will take

37 guys sat for the tech exams this time

its fair game if you do well............Milinda has no choice but to take you in.

look for changes in aviation in sri lanka

mihi air got a a320 , first flt is tommorrow to india .......Bodhiya ...something like that......bulgarian pilots ....perhaps 1 local guys as well.
all cabin crew are local 16 girls 4 guys

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_07/March14135721CH.html

look at mihin a320

newagebird
17th Mar 2007, 00:38
Hey farcry

Great photos...ive been waiting to see mihin airs livery..lets hope the bubble doesnt burst...things are definitely looking up for sl pilots.

newagebird

uniform lima
17th Mar 2007, 08:35
My Worry Is That If They Take Around 15 They Wont Advertise Till Next Year January.
Lesser The Batch Sooner They Will Advertise......

So Guys Please Submit The Info As You Get It.

UL 501 ANY CONFORMED NUMBER OF CADET THAT WILL BE TAKEN IN THIS BATCH :confused:

newagebird
18th Mar 2007, 05:34
Number wont be confirmed until sim tests are carried out, which is coming this week as indicated by previous posts. The next intake is supposed to be coming sooner than january because of a planned route expansion. Like ive said before within the next 6-8 months.

cheers newagebird

uniform lima
18th Mar 2007, 05:53
thanks for the info newagebird, sim tests will be carried out on the 23rd & 24th.
cheers

UL501
19th Mar 2007, 09:06
SIm is done by Capt P karu. So by now the list is been prepared by ops ,,, so 9 cadets are already in and out of them 5 FAA guys are there.
The names are ..
Ya
Th
Sa
Nu
Ra etc

These names have already reached Ops manager

sharuk khan
19th Mar 2007, 12:18
There's no point bashing your previous employer,after all you got your humble experience there and like all other cabbys you too were critized when you got in with influence, like dady being there before!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like some one said, people who bash other in public have some thing about themselvs too which they are ashamed of or hide from others..
lots of skeletons in the closet here.....

I think the cadet intakes have been fine, it's the disgruntled or more like the ones who are stupid enough to not pass the exams who post nasties here.

So for all those aspiring airline pilots, the road is long, but get in there with determination, then it will be plain sailing.

Then once you have got your experience and are marketable, reddicule the airline and staff and bugg off some where like some here have done.

Brgds.

uldreams
20th Mar 2007, 03:04
The guys who say that the Cadet Pilot intake is OK are the guys who have got in with all the influence, and are now pretending that they have passed the technical exams and got in on MERIT . It is quite obvious that exams can be passed if the papers are delivered to your door step before hand. If you look at the cadet pilot intake advertisements from the nineties you will find that not all the advertisements are the same, there is something different in every advert to accomodate their favourites.A good example is this time. At the initial interview the favourites were told to prepare from FAA and the others were told to prepare from JAR and CAA ????????????
If you want to embark into aviation make sure you have the rite connection otherwise it is a waste of time and money............

newagebird
20th Mar 2007, 05:09
Just a question...how different is JAR and FAA and CAA...it cant be that different, aviation is fairly standardised even though different countries use different jargon.

newagebird

uniform lima
20th Mar 2007, 05:59
ANY IDEA HOW MANY JUNIOR FIRST OFFICERS THEY ARE TAKING THIS TIME :confused:

uldreams
21st Mar 2007, 02:27
Please go through the syllabus and you will find out how different it is. or for that matter if you are FAA qualified guy try sitting for either CAA or JAR you will definitely fail. The point that was highlighed by me was that at the first interview the panel was totally misleading to the candidates. ( The favourites were told to prepare FAA and the others were told to prepare from CAA and JAR)

newagebird
21st Mar 2007, 05:45
Are u sure about that? JAR is meant to be much much harder than FAA exams. So i don;t know how you could fail the easier exam. Another thing concerning ATPL subjects such as aerodynamics, aircraft general knowledge...the knowledge doesnt change over FAA and JAR, JAR is supposed to be more thorough that is all.
Also aerodynamics principles and aircraft general knowledge is not different in other parts of the world, air law maybe but otherwise i don't think so.
People with JAR only need to do air law in most conversion cases. However FAA people almost always need to do a 6 month conversion course.

newagebird

uniform lima
21st Mar 2007, 16:23
WHAT EVER YOU STUDY TO PASS THE SRILANKAN TECH EXAM WE DONT KNOW & THEY DONT GIVE WHAT THE PASS MARK IS OR A RANK???:confused:

IS THERE A PASS MARK ??? EXAMPLE FOR AIRLAW EXAM CONDUCTED BY SLCAA ITS 70%BUT WHAT IS THE MARK ONE SHOULD SCORE TO PROGRESS IN THE SELECTION PROCESS????????:hmm:

WHY DONT THEY GIVE A RANK OR THE MARKS???????????????????:suspect:

newagebird
22nd Mar 2007, 03:58
Interesting point uniform lima...
maybe they don't have a pass mark on purpose..because lets say it was 50% and quite a few of the prospective cadets passed. Lets say about 20 out of the 35 who tried out and lets say they plan to take only 9 cadets.

Then it comes down to who they want to pick. This tech exam isnt a test you pass and get a certificate for, its for a job interview so anyone doing the interview would prefer if you did as best as u can...even aim for 100% even thou its impossible. If they had a pass mark then people will just aim for the pass mark. Whats the point in a rank anyway? its not like your up against the exact same people every year!

Or theres the conspiracy theory way of thinking about it and saying that sri lankan swaps all the good cadets exams with their 'favorites'. Quite possible and i won't say no to it. We're all having the same problems.

Theres gotta be some sort of process of elimination. I'd hate it though if my mark was used to get some dude through and he doesnt know the first thing about aircraft1

Zeke
22nd Mar 2007, 04:32
"Are u sure about that? JAR is meant to be much much harder than FAA exams."

Yes the JAR or the old UK CAA exams are a lot harder then the FAR. The FAR would have to be the easiest exam to pass as you do not need to know or understand any of the material, one can pay money to practice on the actual exam question bank a number of times then sit the exam and pass first go.

This company does in one day a prep and ATP exam, they almost have a 100% success rate http://www.atpflightschool.com/programs/writtens/atp.html, to pass the JAR exams would take 6 months of study.

Having a number of ATPLs, the FAA is by far the easiest, Canada is also fairly easy (about twice as hard as the FAA, but twice easy is still not hard), Australian, New Zealand, and any based on the old UK CAA (like Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia etc) and JAR would have to some of the hardest.

wolverine_267
22nd Mar 2007, 05:27
The point is not which exams, be it FAA/JAR/CAA are harder, the point is that a certain group of applicants have been told what material to study and may have possibly been given copies of the exams or parts of the exam! While other applicants are being told the exact opposite.

From what I know there are some applicants with medical issues they are trying to sort out whilst we are at the simulator stage. If you can't pass the medical you shouldnt be flying no matter whos son/nephew/friend etc you are.

After reading this post I am begining to wonder if there is even any point in having a Cadet Pilot program whatsoever, if they have already been hand picked.

God save the Queen and Bless Sri Lankan cos they will definitely need it!

:ok:

uniform lima
22nd Mar 2007, 16:11
What Sort Of Medical Issues???????

*high Blood Pressure
*high Colesterol
*high Blood Sugar
*lack Of Red Blood Cells
*suffered A Heart Attack
*over Weight
*deaf
*eyesight Problems

or Simply Not Human

uniform lima
23rd Mar 2007, 08:53
TRUE WHAT YOU HAVE MENTIONED REGARDING THE TIME TO CONVERT THE LICENCE.IN THE PREVIOUS INTAKE(2006) APPLICANTS WERE ASKED TO CONVERT THE LICENCE HAVE THEM IN POSSESION AT THE INTERVIEW:eek:

SO ANY IDEA UL 501 APPLICATIONS WILL BE CALLED FOR NEXT INTAKE IS IT WITHIN THIS YEAR OR NEXT YEAR??????????????????????????????

ANY KNOWN PEOPLE PREPARING FOR THE NEXT INTAKE WHO WILL MAKE THE CUT????????????????

ANY NEWS ON THE SIM ASSESMENTS CARRIED OUT HOW MANY CADETS ARE THEY TAKING DIS TIME

wolverine_267
27th Mar 2007, 01:40
Well the calls went out last afternoon. 14 young happy and possibly dangerous pilots are 6 months from the right hand seat.
UL501 did you 9 friends get in? any idea who the unlucky ones were. i wish them my condolences and best of luck for next time.:ok:

uldreams
27th Mar 2007, 02:18
So finally the list of new recruits is out....... So this time it is 14 ...good to hear that the number is increasing.
I wish the guys who have been selected best of luck ......since luck is meant for ..............

For the guys who missed out .... Please standy by one......... Our Mihinlanka are looking at locals

The national flag carrier for our nationals:ok: :)
Made
In
Heaven:cool:
Intended for our
Nationals:D

UL501
27th Mar 2007, 07:16
Yes
I was spot on , the 9 lucky guys are in ,,,,
I mentioned these names even before they went to the Tech exams,,,,,, so well done Ops for taking your own guys,,,,
Some guys got in ,, hey didnt even done the NDB holding in States,,,,, some doesbt know to do the Wiz wheel Q,, ( no wonder the ops didnt put any Q s in the tech paper) so the scam goes on ,,,,,,,,,,,

FlyMeToTheStars
28th Mar 2007, 04:20
I have to say I find it worrying and amazing that any of you guys are flying any kind of planes.The standard of english is poor, and even more worrying you all behave like school children and should all go back to the classroom.You are like small children trying to outdo each other at name calling.I wonder how any of you got through pyschological testing???!!! Please let us all know who you all fly for so we can avoid those airlines.I certainly wouldn't want to be a passenger with any of you lot in control.........scary thought!

Gotafix
28th Mar 2007, 04:21
From today's Daily Mirror . . .

Efficiency of SriLankan Airlines’ Flight Operations receives
ISO 9001:2000 approval

SriLankan Airlines added yet another feather to its cap when the efficiency of its Flight Operations Department won the important ISO 9001:2000 accreditation recently.

The Flight Operations Department plays a vital role in the flight safety aspects of the National Carrier, and includes the training and day-to-day operations of its pilot cadre.

Captain Dick Hutton, Chief Technical Officer at SriLankan, said: “Our passengers and institutional customers will be pleased to see this further evidence of the efficiency of our systems and staff. These standards have a direct bearing on the quality of service we are able to provide them.”
The airline is currently carrying out a companywide project to implement the Japanese 5S system, and several other departments are in the process of obtaining ISO accreditation. The project in the Flight Operations Department involved the total commitment of every employee, and included the implementation of both ISO standards and the 5S system.

Capt. Milinda Ratnayake, Senior Manager Flight Operations, said: “It is not easy to implement these standards in a vibrant operational area such as the Flight Operations Department of an airline and few airlines have opted to try. It’s much easier in offices where there is less day-to-day interaction with external parties and less rapid real-time operations. We are thankful to our consultants, Swiss Advantage, who assisted us greatly.”

The process involved the complete overhauling of all work practices and systems, and includes a comprehensive system of continuous improvement to identify possible bottlenecks. 5S Audits are carried out regularly, and an Audit Team checks on the progress of ISO systems.

Capt. Nanda Nadarajah, who heads the ISO Team, said: “We took this step forward with the ultimate goal of achieving 100% customer and stakeholder satisfaction, and to continuously improve our services. ISO is the world's largest developer of standards and these standards safeguard consumers. We carry out regularly scheduled surveys with our customers, to identify their needs and how best to satisfy those needs. These surveys also provide important feedback on areas for improvement.”

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

hpcock
28th Mar 2007, 09:06
I have to say I find it worrying and amazing that any of you guys are flying any kind of planes

This has got to be the most accurate sentence on this entire thread. I am an airline pilot, & have found this thread to be more a source of amusement than factual information.

Talk of fat asses, overweight smelly pilots, shawarmas (forgive the spelling), sweets, inability to fly ILS & NDB approaches & rife corruption within the ranks. Are you guys really serious about a career that needs professionals orientated towards safety & service & not bickering school children?

I'm sure that half of you who do make it to the flight deck would not survive outside of Sri Lanka within the aviation working environment. I can clearly see why Sri Lanka's aviation industry is in complete and utter disarray. Someone needs to report this all to ICAO soon. I know my pax feel safe in my a/c - I'm not sure after reading this anyone would in a Sri Lankan a/c.

I'm surprised the mods didn't shut down the thread, due to the lack of any real info. However, it has made us all laugh at the lot of you:}

As somebody posted earlier:

God save the Queen and Bless Sri Lankan cos they will definitely need it!

Enough said really.

Still laughing...
HPC

newagebird
28th Mar 2007, 10:32
finally an outsider who can speak the truth about this forum. Let me clarify something first though, i've observed this thread and a previous one from last year and im gunna name someone here...its always UL501 who starts all the bull****. Some of the stuff he says is typical and it makes me wonder why i bother reading this forum but sometimes someone comes up with some meaningful info and almost immediately ul501 puts his 2 cents in and disregards it.
I think his favorite words are forgettttt about sri lankannnn....must be hoping we do so he has more chance. Last year it was his duel with sharuk khan and now it seems he has something against far cry.

In case anyone wants to know, sri lankan prefers JAR atpls so id recommend studying JAR if you wanna pass the tech exam.

heres to more civilised posts!

UL501
28th Mar 2007, 10:50
First of all what we all have to belive is Srilankan takes whome they want...... so once again we can see 14 lucky guys got in.... I can remember Once a Capt told me in Far east where he has done a sim chek for One of the prospective Cadet Pilots in 2005.
He said ' machan I dont know why this guys was asked to come and do the Flight test becaose he was already given the letter of appoinment to attend the A320 ground school even before he left Colombo.' so why Srilakan sent him and two others ( mind you this is after they waived off the time to conver the license too in that intake for these three cadets ) to SIN for the flight test if one of them already has been selected for the Ground school, this is maily just to show that they go according to the rules etc etc ,, so if they want somebody the they will take him,, so this chap Chanaka was very lucky ......... to get chosen for the !320 ground school before flying to Sin for the flight test ... hahahaha
I dont want to repeat how many times they wavied off Educational qualifications to take their own people.
Flight ops getting ISO... well Capt Milinda should get a ISO rating for hiself for surviving as Flight Ops manager ,
1/ for sending pilots to the SIm with Expired licenses
2/ taking and accepting cadets with less qualifictaions
3/ giving false information
4/ sending a Pakistan pilot dressed as a Srilankan to the sim so that he does not have to go through the strict Visa process
5/ sending Pilots qith less hrs to the command and upgrading when there are pilots with more hrs ( breaching company rules)
6 / playing and helping pole dancing in his office
7/ recruting pilots with less hrs and expired license without letting the CAA
etc etc ..
8/ Grounding a Captain for safety reasons and then ask him to fly when the president is flying....
after for went and hiding in Aussi for his safety but being Lucky to survive this long,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well done Captain ////
after all Capt Dicky,,,, you need a ISO plus a Blood test certificate when you go to BangCOck,,,, we see you with TWO hookers at once ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with your age can you handle Two at Once you Prick?

Gotafix
28th Mar 2007, 11:58
Look guys, this is a thread on an issue relating to Sri Lankan Airlines, and the Sri Lankan pilots there are guys who study English as a second language in school. They put great effort into obtaining professional qualifications in a foreign language, and have proved themselves professionally competent.

I am amazed that some of you think that one has to proficient in English to be a competent pilot. := .

English is referred to as 'kaduwa' (sword) in Sri Lanka because all too often it is used by the mediocre with a good command of the language to cut down those of ability who did not have the good fortune to study this rather useful legacy of colonial subjugation.

hpcock
28th Mar 2007, 15:07
I am amazed that some of you think that one has to proficient in English to be a competent pilot. := .

Are you for real?

The last time I transmitted, I was sure that English was the medium of communication.

Granted, there are some people who have difficulty comprehending & transmitting in English, but surely there has to be some sort of rectification before jumping into the flight deck - usually the responsibility of a good aviation authority. Evidently not Sri Lankan's. Communication is such a pivotal part of the process in flying an a/c. Remember when your instructor told you to "Aviate, Navigate & Communicate."

Look guys, this is a thread on an issue relating to Sri Lankan Airlines, and the Sri Lankan pilots there are guys who study English as a second language in school

I think you've somewhat missed the point - Sure, this is a thread relating to SL pilots, but some of the more competant posters have merely highlighted the childish behaviour amongst some of the airlines cadets. Besides only 2 posters have mentioned the standard of English on this thread so far.

English is referred to as 'kaduwa' (sword) in Sri Lanka because all too often it is used by the mediocre with a good command of the language to cut down those of ability who did not have the good fortune to study this rather useful legacy of colonial subjugation.

Evidently the "Kaduwa" needs a bit of sharpening before being used in anger by some of the posters. The below is en excert from a dictionary giving the explanation of mediocre:

"of only ordinary or moderate quality; barely adequate."

"poor and not of a good standard"

Kind of sums up the standard of Sri Lankan's pilots & the state of aviation over there.

HPC

uniform lima
29th Mar 2007, 14:01
Guys, are All 14 Of Them Cadet Pilots or is That Figure 14 Including The Junior First Officers

If So How Many Junior First Officers Were Selected This Time???????

IF ALL 14 OF THEM ARE CADET PILOTS THE ADD FOR NEXT INTAKE WONT COM UNTIL NEXT YEAR JANUARY??????????????????????????????????:{

newagebird
2nd Apr 2007, 07:57
hey
theyre all cadets...next intake within 8 months with another to follow 8 months after that...plenty of time to prepare.
newagebird

wolverine_267
2nd Apr 2007, 09:35
there were 14 taken this time including 2 JFO's. Apparently 6 have been taken for the A330(probably UL501'S friends) rest of cadets and the JFO's on the 320.

:ok:

uniform lima
2nd Apr 2007, 11:13
Well They Trained Some Cadets On The 330s Not Far Back Once, But They Were Asked To Come Back To The 320 After Sometime After A Management Decision.
Same Might Happen This Time.

Wolverine any idea when the next intake is?????????????????????

UL501
5th Apr 2007, 05:08
We have to appriciate that UL also helped one of the candidates who could not make to the sim last time has got in without doing the Tech exam this time.........

uniform lima
5th Apr 2007, 13:13
name of canidate please who are the guys going to fly 330????

newagebird
5th Apr 2007, 13:22
why do u people care abt who got in or watever? what difference is that gonna make???
Can we just get some relevant information next time instead of gossiping away like teenage girls!!

UL501
6th Apr 2007, 05:48
Thats exactly whats happening inside UL mate, so get used to it,,,,?

newagebird
6th Apr 2007, 06:41
is there anything we can do about it?? The last thing i wanna know is how much discrimination there is in UL...whats the point complaining about it on a forum when obviously theres nothing anyone here can do about it.
All you want is personal satisfaction by bad mouthing UL and besides how does anyone else know there is any proof to your claims!
You wanna tell people about how bad UL recruiting is go say it to people who care cuz theres very few of them!
If ur a UL employee and you want people to believe what you say, tell us how high up the rank you are and who your sources are...cuz what you do is cowardly, hiding behind a name and for all we know you could just be discouraging others from applying to UL and hoping there will be fewer numbers for yourself to get through.

Sick Squid
19th Apr 2007, 09:58
Right that's it. For personal reasons I haven't been able to do much moderating till recently, but hey, shouldn't be a problem, the SAFE forum is always respectful and thoughtful. In general.

Well how wrong I was. Several of the stars of this thread are taking a break from PPRuNe right now, and will be permanently. What is it about making an argument without descending into personal diatribe and insults that some of you people find hard to do? What is it about structuring an argument, making a case, following up on that argument when others provide a differing opinion that is just simpply too hard?

Yeah, take the easy way out. Break out those exclamation marks. Break out that bold print. Break out those infantile analogies and metaphors. Break out that faux-superior attitude and everyone else be damned.

Well, go do it elsewhere. My watch is back on this forum, and the utter crap I have just read disgusts me. Either learn to play well with the other children, or take your toys elsewhere.

And don't even bother attempting to email me or complain to anyone about this action. It will be deleted and not read, I have no time in my life to deal with people like those who I have just banned.

Playtime is over. I must admit, the idea that some of you people may actually possess professional pilot licences fills me with dread too. Learn about responsibility, learn about respect, learn to put a point across without invective and rancour, it's all part of the job and if you can't get that right somewhere like here then I do not wish to be sharing the same skies as you.

A very good day to all those who exhibit respect and professionalism. The rest of you, take a hike elsewhere.

Sick Squid

SAFE Forum Moderator