PDA

View Full Version : Shifts at Swanwick

Mutsilver
26th Feb 2007, 12:39
Hello chaps,

Could anyone inform me of the shift pattern at Swanwick for ATCO's. The start and finish times would be appreciated, also the amount of early, afternoons and nights you do?

Thank You:)

DTY/LKS
26th Feb 2007, 15:06
2 mornings 06.30-13.30
followed by
2 afternoons 13.30-22.00
followed by
2 nights 22.00-0630
followed by a "sleep day" & then 3 days off.

Or instead of doing the 2 nights you can be rostered onto spins which are day-shifts.

Mutsilver
27th Feb 2007, 22:02
Thanks for your reply buddy.

I have another question if you do not mind!

How many weekends do you work? I gather you work to a rota, so how many weekends do you do in a month, or four week period for example?

Thank You

Chilli Monster
27th Feb 2007, 22:13
6 days on, 4 off (effectively).

A week lasts 7 days

Do the maths!

Mutsilver
28th Feb 2007, 19:36
Thank you for your informative post Chilli Monster!

28th Feb 2007, 20:24
Feb i worked 2 full weekends and had 2 weekends off

march i am rostered for 2 weekends, a saturday and a sunday!!

I does vary, you can usually count on one weekend a month off.

Mutsilver
28th Feb 2007, 21:33
Thanks 132.3

That was the kind of answer I was looking for. A real world situation, that a current ATCO would face, rather than the silly answer of "do the maths" which was quite petulant!

Anyway, great, that was what I required, easy!

:)

Chilli Monster
28th Feb 2007, 22:12
Mutsilver

Much as you may think it was a petulant answer it was extremely relevant.

A standard 5 watch, 6 on 4 off cycle, as worked at Swanwick and most (all?) UK 24 hour units, doesn't fit in a standard month. Some months you may work 2 weekends, others you may work one, others you may only work part weekends.

So - your question, based on a month or 28 day cycle, varies from month to month. In short - you have to "do the maths" depending on when the shift cycle starts.

And that, is the answer from a CURRENT ATCO who works the above roster ;)

Mutsilver
1st Mar 2007, 13:32
Chilli Monster

My apologies if you have taken my post as an insult, it was not intended that way. I should have perrhaps worded it differently. Now I understand that ALL ATCO's work the same shift system. You work 6 on and then have 4 off (including your sleep day). I was not sure if some did different shifts depending on role, banding, or other factors. This is the case in other industries.

Of course, now I am aware that you all work to the same system, the maths is obvious and the cycle will allow you to work it out on the calender, hence "do the maths".

Anyway, wanted to put the post up because someone sent me a private message, indicating that I should not wind people up. := I felt guilty becuase that was not my intention, so I felt an apology was required.

Thanks