PDA

View Full Version : UK airspace: Prefix "Pan" or "mayday" in callsign ?

Too Low Terrain
26th Feb 2007, 07:50
Hi
In case of declaring a PAN or EMERGENCY is it common practice or
even a requirement in UK airspace to add the relevent words before
the callsign, like "PAN-Flyair330 turn left heading 270°" or
"MAYDAY-Flyair330 descent Altitude 3000ft" ?
Thanks for your replies. :ok:

Swanie
26th Feb 2007, 08:13
i think the mayday cal allows you to do vertually anything so long as u "crash" so to speak
a pan requires some more info i would guess as it's not as urgent

Widger
26th Feb 2007, 12:03
Two low,

I think different units(mil/civil) would have different instructions. It would make sense to prefix each transmission because it reminds people to keep silent, particularly those who may have just joined the frequency.

Others may be able to clarify from MATS Part 1/2

niknak
26th Feb 2007, 15:27
We have it as a unit instruction:
"Any aircraft which has declared a Mayday or a Pan shall be refered to in all transmissions as "Mayday/Pan... 'A/C Callsign."

It reminds, not only those already on frequency to keep quiet, but also those joining the frequency who may not, for whatever reason, be aware of the prevailing situation.

stillin1
28th Feb 2007, 10:16
I was taught and have have always used prefixed Pan and Mayday calls. It does get you the service you need, shuts up the other guys on the frequency and ensures that there is NO doubt as you go from one freq to the next that you are not having a nice day.:ok:

Monkey Madness
29th May 2007, 12:04
For me, I was taught that you used the prefix on the final transmission only. For everything in between you could use the normal c/s.....

i.e.

First contact: Air123A, your Pan is ack'd.......
Final Tx: Pan Air123A, continue with XXX 123.45/listen out this freq for XXX (if on 121.5/243.0)

Diddley Dee
29th May 2007, 22:42
After acknowledging the aircrafts emergency message, I have always used PAN / MAYDAY on first & last transmission only. This is the format we also use in D&D London Centre.

DD

stillin1
30th May 2007, 17:44
"search" facility = this has been done before

Eejit
31st May 2007, 21:40
"I was taught that you used the prefix on the final transmission only"

Is that before or after you've said your goodbye's??!!!!

:}