PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL licence validation in Canada

Blue Albatross
25th Feb 2007, 15:00
Hi All,

My friend and I and both JAR-PPL holders (issued by the UK CAA) and are planning our next big summer flying holiday. We were thinking of going to Canada and getting a SEP(sea) rating and renting a seaplane/floatplane and heading out to the bush for a few weeks for some camping and fishing.

Can anyone please advise me on what the process is in order to get our PPL's validated? Our plan is to then get the rating in Canada and convert it when we return to Europe.

Also, do you know how easy/difficult it is to rent a floatplane? Are there many available to rent for an extended period of time?

Any help you can give would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Claython

bell1st
26th Feb 2007, 04:51
Clay
I don't know about the JAR-PPL, but the floatplane is a bit problematic. I don't know many places that will let you rent with less than about 50 hours on floats. Try http://www.courtenayflightcenter.com/ (on Vancouver Island). They have a Cessna 180 for ratings and will rent it out, but you'll have to find out what the requirements are to rent. Good Luck.

Bell1st

the dean
26th Feb 2007, 09:59
hi blue...

not sure what you mean by ''validated''...

can you be more specific.

is your SEL coming to an end..?and so requires revalidation.if so if you meet the proficiency requirements and the rating is still current the caa will i think accept most accredited examiners from other jurisdictions that are in jaa...but you need to clear it with them first...and when you get signed up the form ( together with a copy of the examiners rating ) needs to be returned either direct or via your regulatory body to the caa.

i'll try to help if you can give me more details as i may misunderstand your post so theres no point in waffling on if i've got hold of the wrong end of the stick...:confused:

the dean.

Canuck15
26th Feb 2007, 10:31
Hi Clay

I been flying around the vancouver area for a number of years and I don't think you'll be able to rent a floatplane with maybe at lease50 hours on type. Most of the float planes are C185 or better. I believe the problem in renting floats is an insurance issue...anyway good luck