PDA

View Full Version : Secure Sequence

dawgweed
24th Feb 2007, 21:23
Since the use of electronic strips is becoming more commonplace, I would appreciate the input of controllers from busy Towers (and terminal) as it may help trying to get an agreement :ugh: between our units.
How do your units deal with receiving (passing) a secure arrival sequence to Towers?
Is it through verbal coordination? Electronic coordination? Not required?
Does the tower select the electronic strips when the aircraft calls? Other?
Thanks for your help.

Gonzo
24th Feb 2007, 21:51
In the UK, NATS have, in their infinite wisdom, only fitted towers with EFPS (our version of NavCanada's EXCDS), and not the Terminal Control approach units which serve those airfields.

However, even with paper strips at my unit (Heathrow) the handovers are done silently. As a tower controller I use my radar to identify the landing sequence. Very little Tower/Approach co-ordination goes on.

With electronic strip, exactly the same process is carried out (FDEs picked from a pending list into an arrival sequence panel).

dawgweed
25th Feb 2007, 04:24
Gonzo,

thanks for the reply;

Do you run a mixed operation or is 90%+ of your operation land one rwy, depart the other. I believe our operation is somewhat similar to yours, however the plan is to change the operation to a 50/50 split, independant operation.

Gonzo
25th Feb 2007, 06:52
Generally we do land on one and depart on the other. However, even when we do go single runway, it's still the same; no interaction from Approach.