PDA

View Full Version : Ad-astral CIR

aircabbie
24th Feb 2007, 08:36
Hi guys any thoughts on this , Yeah yeah i know johnsons is great !!! But any thoughts on Ad-Astral would be appreciated guys .

cheers

Ref + 10
25th Feb 2007, 03:39
I did my CIR there a few moons back and was perfectly happy with them. Ron has been doing it for a long time and knows how to put people through. I believe that they are one of the more expensive companies though. I figured that since you depart and arrive out of PH and not having to fly JKT - PH to fly your ILS's would save some MR hours/my $$ and it would all even out. I certainly didn't feel like I got bad value for my money.

I've recommended them to others who have asked my opinion.

Hope that helps.

RabidNuts
25th Feb 2007, 03:42
I did my initial with AA and a renewal at JAS...
AA are good, you get put under the pump a great deal (which works for some!) and being based at YPPH you get to do a landing off every approach (mostly ILS) great to brush up on your CTA proceedures and lots of gee wiz trucking around all the heavy metal! Their sim is great, based on a Navajo with actual a/c guages and the like, makes you work hard on assymetric IF.
Don't let RM's arm flapping and exasperations when you flub it put you off, you'll be better for it and the other instructors were all good (circa 2001).

I did find JAS more my style however, comprehensive and tailored training to your needs and capabilities (AA's course ran on rails and presumed you had recently done your CPL and were throughly familiar with all the texts re: proceedures, almost military in rote knowledge), if you didn't know something, or were a little rusty they filled in the gaps and made sure you read up on what was required. The do alot more ratings and it shows in their training and application of practical knowledge. The Baron is also a more suitable aircraft (it'll save you the cost of one additional rating) compared to the Duchess as it'll follow that it may well be one of your first types in the charter world.

:ok: rN

MaxHelixAngle
25th Feb 2007, 04:45
Don't normally make a habit of posting on PPRUNE but for this one I had to. I can't talk for JA but Ad-Astral's IR is first class, did mine there only recently. Aircraft/airport/sim are all minor considerations to which instructor's are on the books and AA has some of the best and most experienced.

In my view it would be extremely hard to beat AA for value of money or quality of training.

My 2c
MHA

BrazDriver
25th Feb 2007, 08:10
Did mine there a few years back and every renewal since. Highly reccomended! Made me a much better pilot!

aircabbie
25th Feb 2007, 09:14
Gentlemen,
Thankyou all for your thoughts on this , i do appreciate it .

Matt :ok:

Towering Q
25th Feb 2007, 11:58
Don't let RM's arm flapping and exasperations when you flub it put you off
Oh good....so it wasn't just me then.:uhoh:

Led Zep
26th Feb 2007, 08:15
It'll be a sad day when Magilla stops flying. AA is a top training outfit. :ok:

No, TQ, it wasn't just you...:}

aircabbie
27th Feb 2007, 11:14
Gents ,

Just a quick one to say thanks for all your comments on Ad-astral

Booked in for June ..

Thanks guys :ok:
Matt

Master Red Cylinder
28th Feb 2007, 14:26
Ad Astral is top notch. Looking back Ron and Co gave me some real good techniques which I still apply daily. Give it all you can and enjoy.

MRC

Fonz121
11th Mar 2007, 04:00
hey i was looking a that johnson's place, did anyone notice that most of the pictures they show on the site are from microsoft flight sim?...
the baron in the multi TR for example... seems a little dodgy.

Just wondering what you mean? I can't see any flight sim pics on the site.

Swanie
11th Mar 2007, 05:42
sorry i was given the wrong site, some company in usa
www.johnsonaviation.com (http://www.johnsonaviation.com) thats the one with the flight sim pics,:O
can you let me know what the "real site" is lol

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
11th Mar 2007, 06:38
Hi Swanie,

suggest you be very careful putting in writing that any organisation "seems dodgy", this is a small industry, if you did a search with google or similar all would have been revealed.

i'm certain if not for your last post there would have been a spray of abuse from the very many loyal past students.

cheers

Fonz121
11th Mar 2007, 06:50
Hey mate,

yeah here's the actual address http://www.johnstonaviation.com.au/. (http://www.johnstonaviation.com.au/)
I've heard both organisations are really good. Sure you'll be fine either way.

Swanie
11th Mar 2007, 08:22
point taken rock thrower
didn't mean to offend anyone, was only going on what I saw on the address I was given. and didn't know i was viewing another companies web site.:O