PDA

View Full Version : Visiting LATCC

GWidgery
22nd Feb 2007, 22:15
I would love the chance to be able to visit the LATCC, does anyone know how to go about arranging a visit, if this is possible?

Gonzo
22nd Feb 2007, 22:21
Sorry, do you mean LACC (Swanwick near Southampton), or LTCC (West Drayton, near Heathrow)?

Whichever, I'm sure someone will be along to help!:ok:

GWidgery
22nd Feb 2007, 22:22
West Drayton - I'm in Reading, so it's a bit closer!

London Mil
23rd Feb 2007, 05:16
Gonzo, stop being so parochial, GW could mean LATCC, as in LATCC(Mil). ;)

DX Wombat
23rd Feb 2007, 05:53
GW- just ring them up and ask. I'd give you the number only I'm not in the UK at the moment so don't have it with me. They don't bite, they are very friendly and welcoming. They love to give their view of things (in the nicest possible way) and are very keen to get over the message that they are there to help you NOT pick on you or make life difficult. I can vouch for that from personal experience. Just remember to take some nice biscuits with you :ok: (for them, not you:E )

GWidgery
23rd Feb 2007, 07:36
Wherabouts would I find this number? I can't find it on the NATS website, or anywhere else for that matter, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Do i literally just phone up and ask to come and visit them, is it really that simple?

GWidgery

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Feb 2007, 08:14
Two points here... Nobody has asked the originator why he wants to visit. He should be aware that unless he is either a controller, aircrew or has a very good reson he will probably be refused. If he has a valid reason then a bit of initiative will soon find a contact on the Internet.

Not sure what planet DX Wombat is on..... how many people take packets of biscuits when they're visiting a large professional organisation.... or did I miss out somewhere? (Food is not permitted in the ops room). And.. "They're there to help you NOT pick on you or make life difficult"..??? Where did you really visit, Wombat, Feltham Prison?

StarbucksOne
23rd Feb 2007, 08:46
I would love to visit West Drayton, and I know of at least two other PPLs (also doing ATPL) who would jump at the chance - particularly as we often talk to them as we fly from inside the zone (only just)....are small groups (2/3) entertained?

DX Wombat
24th Feb 2007, 00:55
Heathrow Director, when you have quite finished making stupid, snide remarks I suggest you look again at your post. Biscuits may not be allowed in the Ops room but they are allowed in the areas designated for consumption of food and beverages and, as it was explained to me by someone who works there, nice biscuits are always appreciated. I have visited both ScATCC and D&D West Drayton. When visiting WD I did indeed take some biscuits with me, a VERY small price to pay for help I had been given. (Don't worry ScATCC, I'll find a way to get some to you too one day - hopefully without the circumstances preceeding the WD visit.) I can't see anything wrong in encouraging people to take a few biscuits as a gesture of appreciation. Could you just be jealous that someone else may get something which you didn't get?
How come you know so much about the workings / procedures at Feltham Prison? I haven't a clue as to its location let alone its practises and procedures.

London Mil
24th Feb 2007, 06:11
Since certain elements of the ex-civil controller fraternity are getting a little precious here, try the military. 01895******, 0895****** or 01895******. I'm sure they would be more than pleased to host a visit and a quick chat with the civil side invariably gains entry into the super-secret, super sensitive TC Ops room.
PS. Bring the biscuits and we will supply the coffee.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Feb 2007, 06:54
DX Wombat.. I'm sorry you should take my remarks so badly; you're very obviously not in ATC and your comments I found quite astonishing - why would anyone in an ATC ops room "pick" on a visitor?? I spent many, many, many hours during my years at Heathrow at West Drayton showing people around the ops rooms. Never, ever, did the idea that they should come with biccies ever cross my mind,. nor did I ever "pick" on them.

London Mil probably appreciate biccies cos there's only 2 of them left and their rations are rubbish!! (Sorry LM - no offence intended).

StarbucksOne.. West Drayton used to accommodate parties of visitors on an official basis but I don't know the situation nowadays. They got a short film show and then an accompanied visit round the ops rooms. We had a party of PPLs from Elstree round once and as they were leaving I whispered to one lady "I suppose you know that everyone in this room is mentally deranged?" I'll never forget the look on her face....

Widger
26th Feb 2007, 12:08
Got to say in Heathrow Director's defence that there ARE restrictions on who can visit for obvious reasons. These rules are imposed by the Government and NATS who lease the building. Edited to say London Mil, well done...if they are in aviation, the numbers are there to find...if they are in the scouts etc...then I am sure Johnny La****r will jack them up a visit!
:ok:

London Mil
26th Feb 2007, 12:47
Widger, I thank you. Taken from the UK AIP and other, open source docs. That said, since you feel so strongly, I have removed them. :ugh:

Quincy M.E.
26th Feb 2007, 13:26
Forget biccies, last time i was there they were offering me Quality Streets and not just in areas designated for the consumption of food and beverages! I must say i was a little dissapointed that they wernt Cadbury's Roses.

Married a Canadian
26th Feb 2007, 16:30
How many complaints do we make as controllers that the general public knows bugger all about air traffic control.

Then we go and make it difficult or impossible for them to visit a unit to maybe find out a bit more. I don't agree with the "unless he is a controller or aircrew".

If the right security checks are in place..I see no problem with visitors outside of the aviation sphere. It might start to break down some of the barriers between us and the flying public that so many people in here seem to despair of!

Widger
27th Feb 2007, 12:01
Married a Canuk,

It is not difficult, if as you say, the correct checks are made. I will not comment on specifics, suffice to say, there are several ticks that need to be made. It is not a free for all just like the several other important buildings in the UK.

London Mil
27th Feb 2007, 13:11
Widger, methinks you may be over-egging this a bit. As long as you are not a 6'2" bloke with a beard, a meringue on your head and a form of ID suggesting that you are Mr Otto Bin Liner then I suspect the chances of a visit are pretty good. FFS, in the last few weeks we've had everything from pilot students thorugh the Mayor of Hillingdon to the Womens' Institute! ;) ;)

GWidgery
27th Feb 2007, 16:46
I appreciate all the replies, however we seem to have gone a little off topic from LTCC to biscuits .........:rolleyes:

A bit more information than before:
I'm a PPL holder, and would love to see how it all happens on the ground side of things. My friend, who has been accepted into NATS for next June, and I would both like to visit.