PDA

View Full Version : Do I need five hours...

bogbeagle
22nd Feb 2007, 18:45
....before I instruct the PPL syllabus on an unfamiliar aeroplane (within my class rating), do I need to amass 5 hours in command?

I have been told that I do, but I can't find any reference to support this.

TIA

Esperanza
22nd Feb 2007, 21:15
I seem to remember that there used to be such a rule when I first started instructing, but that was over thirteen years ago.
I know that as an "AFI" I had to build up 5 hours on a Grumman Cheetah before I was allowed to instruct on it.
I've just had a brief flick through "Lasors" and can't see any mention of a requirement to have 5 hours on type.
It sounds to me like you've been talking to somebody who hasn't kept up to speed with current legislation.

Whopity
23rd Feb 2007, 02:31
Since the implementation of JAR-FCL it has been a CAA recomendation that all FIs should have a minimum of 5 hours experience on any aeroplane they intend to give instruction in.

bogbeagle
23rd Feb 2007, 07:21
Whopity, do you know where this is stated?

cavortingcheetah
25th Feb 2007, 13:08
:hmm:

Lasors 2007. H1.1 ii

'have at least 15 hours of experience as pilot on the type or class of aeroplane on which instruction is being given...'

Nothing about 5 hours as pilot on type springs eagerly from the pages to assault the weary eye.

Further examination of Lasors Section H boggles the brain.

Mind you though, should one really go off and instruct in an aircraft with which one is unfamiliar?

Somewhat:confused:

bogbeagle
26th Feb 2007, 09:06
Found some info in AIC 22/2001...section 3.

I understand from this that instructors must have appropriate differences training or familiarisation before flying a variant within a class of aircraft.

cavortingcheetah
26th Feb 2007, 09:15
:hmm:

That makes a degree of sense. In the event of a mishap the instructor's backside would probably be more easily extricated from the alligator pond had he a few hours time on the aircraft in question.;)

barrow
26th Feb 2007, 10:32
In the US, you need 5 hours pic in type only if student instruction given is for a "certificate or rating" otherwise as long as you have category and class on your instructor cert you can teach in any aircraft. :ok:

Whopity
26th Feb 2007, 11:53
I think that you will find the original recommendation was in an AIC that has expired. The Ref to 15 hours is for changing to another Class and the reference to differences traing is to act as PIC of the aircraft. The 5 hour recomendation is really comon sense, teaching in an aircraft you don't know is not exactly going to impress your student!

FlyingForFun
26th Feb 2007, 21:53
Wasn't there an AIC published after an accident at Bournemouth where the instructor was familiar with the PA28-161, but not the PA28-140 that he was instructing on? Can't find it right now, but I think all it recommended was that the CFI should fly with each instructor before they instruct?

There is a distinct lack of references on this thread.....

FFF
-------------------

Whopity
27th Feb 2007, 11:45
Thats a Pink AIC but does not include this reference!