PDA

View Full Version : How many students do you have?

Esperanza
22nd Feb 2007, 12:39
I would be very interested to know how many regular students the average PPL flying instructor has. By regular I'm referring to students who come in at least either once a week or every couple of weeks.
My reason for wanting to know this is that I'm having a little bit of trouble with my employer at the moment. I believe that by working hard and providing a good service I've attracted a lot of business for the company. I'm not convinced that my employer shares my thoughts on this matter.
Anyway, at any given time throughout the year I have at least thirty regular students. Can anybody beat this number?
I'll watch for any responses with interest. Thank you.

VFE
22nd Feb 2007, 17:10
Nowhere near that number.

VFE.

huckleberry58
22nd Feb 2007, 19:06
My norm was 6-8 students on a full time course.

adverse-bump
22nd Feb 2007, 21:38
iv got abt 20, but its not a normal flying school set up

pilgrim flyer
23rd Feb 2007, 02:30
I have 4-6 regulars, teaching 2/3 days per week winter, 4-5 p/w summer.
I like to give them half a day per week each, plus there's the odd BFR/Ex3/checkout.

From my perspective (not owning a flying school, yet) 30 would seem way too many. With the best will in the world and a spell of unseasonably good english weather, you're only going to get round them all every 2 weeks at best.

In the real world (english winter), I bet some go weeks without flying?

PF

Esperanza
23rd Feb 2007, 07:28
If I was salaried I would agree with you about having too many students (especially from the students point of view). However, seeing as I'm paid by the hour I don't think that I can ever have too many students.

I've got twenty-five training slots available per week and so I get to spend time with the majority of my students on either a weekly or fortnightly basis. The only things that I don't have time for are tea breaks and lunch.

the dean
23rd Feb 2007, 08:51
hi esperanza,

you do'nt say what kind of trouble you're having with your employer but i assume its either he feels you should be able to handle more...:eek: ..and still give a good service and quality instruction....

or that you have too many...to give good quality instruction...

i assume it is the former...

maybe your employer would like a production line...:ugh: ..

tell him to get a life.

the dean.

VFE
23rd Feb 2007, 09:08
Sounds like Esperanza might work for one of the sausage machine schools (no pack drill). 30 seems a huge amount, especially during the winter.

You say you have 25 slots per week Esperanza but is that in the summer or winter?

VFE.

Esperanza
23rd Feb 2007, 13:14
The Dean: My problem has been that I've been trying to get my employer to give me a pay increase. I (possibly foolishly) believe that having increased the companies business considerably over the past three years I deserve some kind of recognition. All that I have been asking for is a pay increase to keep my salary in line with inflation.
Quality of instruction isn't a problem. I'm confident that I give my students the same standard of instruction that they could expect to find at larger, professional colleges.

VFE: I don't work at a "sausage factory". The school that I work for is a small bog standard PPL school.
I have twenty-five slots per week available throughout the year. Obviously there tend to be more flights cancelled throughout the winter months.

Over the years I've become increasing frustrated by the way that an awful lot of employers treat their instructors. It's got to the point that I'm now considering a change of career. It's a real shame because I love to teach and get a great deal of pleasure from watching my students progress.
I'll stop moaning now. I know full well that I'm actually on a better deal than a lot of my fellow UK instructors.

VFE
23rd Feb 2007, 14:04
An awful lot of those 30 students must be at the night flying stage during the winter if you are filling 25 slots all year round... or are you counting groundschool slots in that figure too?

VFE.

the dean
23rd Feb 2007, 14:14
does not seem unreasonable to me.....

i am in jaaland so can't comment on salaries there...but your approach seems reasonable....

now all it requires is your employer to be reasonable also...:{

would'nt be the first time someone built things up with a similar expectation only to be disappointed...''goodbye mr.eddison....!!''

well if you have to go you might as well blow all the fuses on the way...so ask him to talk...tell him your problem and your solution..

who knows...it might just work...or go part of the way...

if not you're better off without him....and get started somewhere else..but if you like instructing maybe you can still do it part time where finantially you are not dependant on it...and you do'nt bust your ass for someone who does'nt give a s%$t for having a happy crew round him... i have instructed for many years but it was'nt my livlihood...and you know there is some benefit to that.

we all feel unappreciated at times...but you do'nt have to give up instructing just for some cold hearted businessman.

i am assuming of course since you sound a reasonable person that your plan is not be own 51% of his business after 3 years...!!!! :}

anyway...good luck:ok:

the dean.

Esperanza
23rd Feb 2007, 15:09
The Dean: Thank you for the advice.
VFE: I work five days a week. Five slots a day. 0900-1030, 1030-1200, 1200-1330, 1330-1500, 1500-1630. During the heart of winter the last slot does tend to be a short one. If I'm night flying (which I avoid due to the hassle factor) I fly until 1900 ish. When the weather is bad I do give my students a little bit of groundschool (navigation techniques,etc).

huckleberry58
24th Feb 2007, 05:28
how do you brief/debrief with those slots?

Esperanza
24th Feb 2007, 17:59
Huckleberry58

Quickly and efficiently. I try to plan my days carefully and make sure that I've already got the "bare bones" of a brief up on the board before my next student arrives. Having said that you're quite right to ask the question. In reality I could do with more time.

To make matters worse each individual instructor is responsible for calculating and receiving payment, making bookings, answering general enquiries throughout the day and refueling.

Despite the above I do try my best to maintain standards. Unfortunately where I work my employer isn't particularly bothered about customer care, etc.

expedite08
25th Feb 2007, 16:30
Esperanza,

I can see your point exactly there. The sad fact of the matter is that there are hardly any small PPL schools around that actually care about the customers.
Im hour building with a school at a large south coast airfield at the moment which are living proof of your points. I did most of my PPL there and have seen it go down hill since! Fortunatly I completed before it really started. The place is run by cowboys who are only interested in every pound they can get at that moment, no future outlook whatsoever and a really bad attitude to training and the standard of thier aircraft. Its a shame as I really feel like saying to the few PPL'S they have, to go elswhere and get a better deal, and be part of a school that has a much better attitude towards thier training and aircraft standards.

As a result Im moving to complete the rest of my hour building accross the runway at the resident commercial school.

cheers

Expedite :ok: